Rush Limbaugh's 400 million payday

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:14 am
How obscene is this? We can't afford to pay our teachers decent salaries, or our law enforcement officers and fire fighters who put their lives on the line every day, or the nurses who care for us, or the scientists who make our lives better, or the artists who fill our lives with beauty. ---BBB

Radio Host Limbaugh Talkin' Big Payday
By REUTERS
Published: July 3, 2008

LOS ANGELES (Radio & Records) - Rush Limbaugh and Clear Channel's Premiere Radio Networks have agreed to a contract extension that will pay the conservative talk-radio pundit more than $400 million through 2016.

The eight-year extension includes a $100 million signing bonus, Limbaugh told the New York Times. The deal comes about a month before the broadcaster celebrates 20 years in syndication August 8.

One of the highest-rated programs on radio, the daily three-hour "The Rush Limbaugh Show" reaches about 20 million listeners weekly and plays on about 600 stations nationwide.

"This is exactly where I want to be, doing what I was born to do, with an amazing audience and phenomenal support from affiliate stations and sponsors," Limbaugh said.

The 90-second weekday commentary "The Rush Limbaugh Morning Update," the monthly "Limbaugh Letter" and RushLimbaugh.com, which includes the subscription service Rush247.com, will continue under Premiere's purview as part of the agreement.

Limbaugh's existing contract, which was worth $285 million over a nine-year period, was set to expire next year, the Times said. The new deal is believed to be the most expensive in radio since 2004, when Sirius Satellite Radio paid Howard Stern $500 million for five years.

The deal would appear to come at a good time for Clear Channel, which has been negotiating for months to close a buyout deal that would take the company private.

Wednesday's announcement comes amid speculation that Premiere will also be involved in a new deal with conservative host Sean Hannity, who is now syndicated by ABC Radio Networks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,869 • Replies: 73
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:16 am
just goes to prove you CAN put a stripe on a turd and people will buy it...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:20 am
If that man was drowning and I was standing near a pile of rope...

I would wade out to him, place the rope around his neck, attach some weights, cut his balls off, stick them down his throat, and then go back to shore for a cold beer and maybe a pretzel or two.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:25 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I would wade out to him, place the rope around his neck, attach some weights, cut his balls off, stick them down his throat, and then go back to shore for a cold beer and maybe a pretzel or two.

Hey Gus, I would do the same to Obama Cool
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:31 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

He would probably already be drowned by the time you were able to find his balls....he couldn't help you.... he hasn't seen them in years...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:35 am
It's always fun calling the FBI to report threats made against a Presidential candidate.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:39 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Oh yeah? Michele Obama would beat the sh*t out of you before you could stick your toe in the water. The two Obama daughters would pull down your pants to expose your balls to a vicious Piranha, who would change you from a baritone to a soprano.

BBB
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:40 am
parados wrote:
It's always fun calling the FBI to report threats made against a Presidential candidate.

Yeah the FBI would love slapping you around for making a false report - go for it!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:42 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Oh yeah? Michele Obama would beat the sh*t out of you before you could stick your toe in the water.

Ms. Obama and her daughters can't touch this Cool
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:45 am
Yep, Linbaugh is successful in what he does. Must drive you liberals nuts knowing that he is making that kind of money. Don't worry though, it will all be taxed and sent to the poor just like you hope.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:57 am
McG
McGentrix wrote:
Yep, Linbaugh is successful in what he does. Must drive you liberals nuts knowing that he is making that kind of money. Don't worry though, it will all be taxed and sent to the poor just like you hope.

I think McG's dead brain should be preserved in a bottle as an example of evolution gone wrong.

BBB
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:58 am
Classic wealth and success envy, a typical left wing response.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:02 am
H20
H2O_MAN wrote:

H2O's mother wouldn't give him any toys to play with when he was a child. Instead, she gave him a left wing with which to fly. It didn't fly right and it bounced him on his head, resulting in permanent brain damage.

BBB
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:06 am
Re: H20
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

H2O's mother wouldn't give him any toys to play with when he was a child. Instead, she gave him a left wing with which to fly. It didn't fly right and it bounced him on his head, resulting in permanent brain damage.

It was actually a horrific bicycle accident when I was 11, but thank you for your compassion.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:07 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

It was actually a horrific bicycle accident when I was 11, but thank you for your compassion.

Oh, poor bicycle, was it damaged?

BBB
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:12 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Oh, poor bicycle, was it damaged?

BBB

The bike was totaled, my scull was cracked and my brain was bruised.

Again, thank you for you compassion and understanding.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:14 am
"I'm Not Retiring Until Every American Agrees With Me&q
Rush Limbaugh On His New Deal: "I'm Not Retiring Until Every American Agrees With Me"
July 3, 2008 10:08 AM

On his radio show Wednesday, Rush Limbaugh commented on the news of his astronomical new contract estimated at $400 million. Limbaugh told his audience, "I'm not retiring until every American agrees with me." The deal pays Limbaugh to keep dishing his views through 2016.

The New York Times has more on how Limbaugh's windfall stacks up against other conservative hosts.

Mr. Limbaugh is not the only radio star who is busy pumping his franchise. Sean Hannity, the country's No. 2 host according to Talkers Magazine, is in contract talks with his current syndication company, ABC Radio, as well as Premiere, for a potential three-way deal, according to two sources close to the negotiations. They requested anonymity because the deal had not been signed.

Glenn Beck, another popular host, signed a new contract with Premiere last year that will pay him $10 million a year through 2012.

Mr. Hannity and Mr. Beck each appear on radio while hosting television shows, writing books and staging nationwide tours. Other media personalities, including Oprah Winfrey and Mr. Seacrest, also have radio engagements that feed into their cross-platform brands. But Mr. Limbaugh sticks to his self-proclaimed "golden E.I.B. microphone" -- E.I.B., for excellence in broadcasting -- and his associated Web site.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:18 am
Way to go Rush !!

You have earned every single penny !!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:30 am
BBB
H2O_MAN wrote:
Way to go Rush !!

You have earned every single penny !!

A penny is the value of what Rush's opinions are worth.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 09:39 am
It must really suck being a bitter old woman. I can't imagine going through life like that. What a miserable existance you must live. I pity you, I really do.
0 Replies