cruelty to children?

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 11:53 am
Interesting read.

Teens and Decision Making

Quote:
Her presentation detailed two ways humans process information to make decisions -- a more reasoned path that leads to intention to engage in a behavior; or a more intuitive path that leads to an openness or willingness to engage in a behavior. These two modes are always active in everybody, but a situation may lead an adolescent in one direction or another. Some people are more prone to operate in a more reasoned fashion, while others are more impulsive.

According to Gerrard, prior research on adolescent risk-taking behavior has treated teens like adults and assumed that they make reasoned decisions that lead to intentions to engage in specific behaviors. But she's found that their decisions are often not planned or even premeditated. Instead, they're reactive to "risk-conducive" circumstances that usually involve friends and peers.

0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 11:54 am
I never used the word stupid.

uh....thinking back....I can think of several boys (not to sound prejudiced, but I don't see this a girl problem with a baby...maternal thing) who would have thought that would have been apt to do this, or something similar.

I'm serious. I'm going through my sophmore year high school yearbook in my head, and there would be....Jimmy D. Art W. Jeff B. Tony A. ...I'm sure there's lots more names I just can't remember after 25 plus years. They weren't bad kids. I know that one of them is a police detective today, and another is an attorney.

I'm not saying stupid, I'm not saying bad. I'm saying that during a certain time of life, people are not as good at impulse control than they will be at a later time.

A little kid doesn't have the greatest impulse control, but knows mom is nearby and they'll get in trouble. A teen has bad impulse control, parents aren't as near, and anyway, they don't need to be told what to do by dumb adults.

Don't say that I can only remember 4 names. I know there's a lot more. Damn, someone was always getting in trouble for doing the "stupidist" things. Crossing wires on a train track, knocking over lifeguard stands, driving dads car into the lake, taking a crap in the cafeteria.

and yes, launching a baby is more harmful (well, except for crossing the train wires), but in their minds, they were both "something to do"

Same thing with teens getting pregnant. If you sat them down and made them think about it, they know they don't want to be a father or mother yet. But, they just don't think about it at the time, or think "nothings going to happen to me"

Maybe this kid thought "nothing's going to happen to the baby, it'll just bounce and roll" when the baby cried, whoever snickered may have realized seconds later there was a problem with that, but at the exact moment, it was just funny.

Am I the only one that has seen basically good kids do stuff that, taken in isolation, looks like the work of a demented firebug?

Speaking of firebugs, one of my brothers best friends was hanging around in the wood with some buddies when he was 16, almost 17...they decided it would be cool to start a fire. Uh....it wasn't so cool, especially when one of the houses in a complex next to the woods caught fire. When they saw it get out of control, they all just ran.

Today, he's a well respected cardiovascular surgeon.

I remember having a crush on him from the time he was 14 to about 20, one of the main reasons being he was so smart.....most of the time.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 11:54 am
Yeah. I could never see myself harming a baby.
That is just something you dont do.

I could see as a teen making FUN of a baby, or ignoring its cries if I were frustrated.. but not hurting it. That just isnt... right.. it isnt.. ok.. I cant explain it.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 12:00 pm
taking a crap in the cafeteria.

he sounds like a keeper that one...ew. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 12:27 pm
Chai wrote:

and yes, launching a baby is more harmful (well, except for crossing the train wires), but in their minds, they were both "something to do"

Maybe this kid thought "nothing's going to happen to the baby, it'll just bounce and roll" when the baby cried, whoever snickered may have realized seconds later there was a problem with that, but at the exact moment, it was just funny.

Am I the only one that has seen basically good kids do stuff that, taken in isolation, looks like the work of a demented firebug?

Speaking of firebugs, one of my brothers best friends was hanging around in the wood with some buddies when he was 16, almost 17...they decided it would be cool to start a fire. Uh....it wasn't so cool, especially when one of the houses in a complex next to the woods caught fire. When they saw it get out of control, they all just ran.

Today, he's a well respected cardiovascular surgeon.

I remember having a crush on him from the time he was 14 to about 20, one of the main reasons being he was so smart.....most of the time.

Most of the items you mentioned you don't see the direct impact. Setting a fire - directly you see trees burn. You don't see people burn.

The train thing - you see something happen to a train - not the person.

Launching a baby you are directly hurting something. To me that is the difference.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 12:29 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Yeah. I could never see myself harming a baby.
That is just something you dont do.

I could see as a teen making FUN of a baby, or ignoring its cries if I were frustrated.. but not hurting it. That just isnt... right.. it isnt.. ok.. I cant explain it.

I do have to say though I did see this young father yelling at a new born on the train when the baby was crying.

I could see a teenager losing control if the baby was screaming or something, but simply to launch as a sack of pototoes for fun - seems that the teen is cruel.
0 Replies