The "Black" National Anthem

Rockhead

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 11:53 am
Damn, Thomas, yer gonna make us think...

:wink:
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 12:54 pm
JPB wrote:
My neoconservative foreign policy?

No, America's neoconservative foreign policy. But I admit my usage of the word "your" was easy to misunderstand.

ebrown_p wrote:
It is sad that patriotism and bigotry are so often linked (although I doubt Asimov had anything to do with the all-caps rant tacked on at the end).

No, the all-caps rant is not in the original. I had read the original in print, googled for a webbed version to post here, and didn't bother to scroll down to the end of the page. My bad!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 01:31 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The so-called "Black National Anthem" is a beautiful song and easy to sing.

Why the "Star Spangled Banner" was chosen as the U.S. national anthem has always made me wonder why. It's hard to sing. It's about war.

I would much prefer the lovely America the Beautiful for our anthem.

BBB

It's about the United States Fort McHenry surviving an all night bombardment by the British, who were attempting to invade Baltimore, in the War of 1812, as told from the point of view of an American hostage negotiatior forced to watch the spectacle from a British ship in Baltimore harbor. In the morning, the British realized that they counldn't breach the fort's defenses and sailed away. It recounts an important moment in America's struggle for sovereignty and independence, which took place several decades after the end of the Revolutionary War.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:21 pm
Thomas wrote:
This doesn't just glorify your neoconservative foreign policy that's currently freaking out the world, it also comes awfully close to hymn territory.

Thomas,

I believe you are - perhaps thoughtlessly - here betraying a quite remarkable lack of perspective and understanding of the most elementary observable features of the history of the modern - and even the contemporary - world.

The verse does indeed communicate a recurrent theme of the American culture, tradition and self-image. However you grossly exaggerate its implications. Even a moment's reflection on the relative merits of analogous themes in the often similar cant of other nations (consider the lyrics of Rule Britannia or God save the Queen, or the French or German anthems) and, more importantly, the actions that often accompanyed them, reveals the "neoconservative" (a convenient label under which you hid your criticism) policies to which you refer, as a relatively benign phenomenon in the larger histrory of powerful nations.

I just got back from a nice workout at the local health club. On my way to the door I was greeted by an Oriental woman (Chinese, I assume) who, with an unmistakable accent, said "Happy Fourth" as she passed by. Where else in the world would that happen??

Now a quick shower, dress and off to the Marina with family & grandkids for a nice dinner and to watch the fireworks by the Golden gate.

Happy Fourth !

BTW,
Bear -- I read the lyrics of the so-called Black Anthem. I haven't heard it but it appears to be a nice song, and with nothing in it that would offend me -- quite the contrary, there's a message there for us all.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:36 pm
"Lift Every Voice and Sing" has been known as the Black National Anthem for as long as I can remember, and it is a beautiful song - great and firtting as an inspirational song in many settings. But if someone sang it at an event where the National Anthem was expected and would have been more appropriate, I don't think it was a good thing to do, and would make me doubt the motives of someone who did it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:38 pm
Snood, thanks for your input in this matter.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:47 pm
Don't mention it, Gus. ?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:54 pm
You're probably right Snood. However, whatever might be the motives of the other person, there's nothing in the song that offends me, and - at least when I have the presence of mind to do so - I try to focus on the part I like and ignore the rest.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:43 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Bear, your recent interest in all things black is starting to seem a little creepy.

There are at least 2 other posters who have interest in ALL things black....do you find that creepy too?
0 Replies