All super-duper-perfect

ZoSo

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 10:03 pm
EP, you are precisely onto it.
Genesis is by the way is just a primitive way of explaining the un-explainable.

neologist wrote:

Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth.

Even if we get past this being a very inadequate source is still does not explain god's purpose for humanity, how does the above help god in anyway?

All that says is that god would like us to have children and be better than everything else on earth. God isn't saying here have free will so you can serve me by praising me out of your own choosing. He is just outlying some biological requirements for our existance.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 10:24 pm
Doesn't seem any different from all animals/insects.
0 Replies

ZoSo

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 10:39 pm
Precisely it is not species specific
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 03:14 am
existential potential wrote:
Of course aperson, of course you can use my last line in your sig.

Cheer bo.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 03:23 am
neologist wrote:
aperson wrote:
. . .If God is omnipotent, then why didn't he just make it that Adam and Eve didn't sin? Surely if he wants no evil, and he has the power to make that a reality, he would do that. This indicates that either he is not omnipotent, or that he doesn't not want evil. You make it seem as if God is not entirely in control.

Also, I don't understand why mankind should suffer for the sins of our parents. Isn't God being rather unfair?
You would have us be puppets, incapable of offending the puppeteer?

No thanks.

Would our suffering be justified if, in the end, it were removed and forgotten?

Ah, no!? That doesn't justify it at all.

And why should God, this infinitely wise, completely forgiving all-knowing, ever-present, all-powerful being take offence, yes that's right, offence, from mere blips of existence because he put a temptation within their reach. It's like putting an opened chocolate bar in front of a child and telling them not to eat it. It's cruel (well at least the next part is). Why then should this, infinitely wise, completely forgiving all-knowing, ever-present, all-powerful being take revenge on these children by condemning their ancestors to pain, torture, rape, starvation, cruelty, suffering, violence --- "Why?", I ask. Why? Why would he do this??? Answer me that, neologist.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 03:35 am
God that's a good post.

Moving on.

ZoSo wrote:
Ok who says god hates homosexuals?

My friend, I present to you a new weapon, and a truck full of ammunition.

Quote:
You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
- Lev. 18:22

Quote:
If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them
- Lev. 20:13

Quote:
Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
- 1 Cor. 6:9-10

Quote:
For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper.
- Rom. 1:26-28

Many Christians somehow ignore the fact that the Bible condemns homosexuality, but neologist, my dear little neologist, he believes in a literal translation of the Bible, so I don't see how he can say that God does not hate homosexuals.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 03:59 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, Why is it that god abhors homosexuals, but he created them. Why are there crib deaths? Why are some born with two heads and one body? Did they really have free will? Why does natural disasters kill the good and the bad? What of all those young girls being raped in Africa and getting infected with HIV/AIDS? What kind of sin did they commit to become victims of such dastardly deeds? Why has religion been responsible for most humans inhumanity to man? Why did he stop all those miracles since his death to show he exists? Aren't those born after his death worth the evidence? Why does the bible have so many contradictions, errors and omissions? Was that on purpose to confuse? Did god really devine every word in the bible?

Why is it that historians have kept records from before jesus' life on earth (from about three thousand years before his birth), but there's nothing except the bible to show the existence of jesus? Wouldn't the witnesses to all those miracles have recorded them? Why have all of them disappeared?

Strange.

Nice post, to which the answer, I thought, was rather inadequate.

neologist,

What about babies born with no higher brain functions? Do they have souls? Free will? How about clones? Transgenics? Do still born babies go to Heaven? Or to Hell? If the former, that's very unfair on the rest of us. If the latter, that's very unfair on the babies? What about twins? This is a result of the fertilised egg splitting inside the womb. Does the soul split? Do they have half souls? Or is a new soul made? If so, which one gets the new cell, and which the old? In some cases, the cells actually recombine. If each has a soul, does the resulting cell have two souls? Or does one disappear?

Due to this rather contridictory thing of souls in embryos, some countries have allowed research on embryos before the 17 (I think) day mark, because after then the embryos can't split or recombine. The church approved this. Hang on, doesn't the church shun abortion? If an embryo has no soul before a certain point, why can't it be aborted? It's not conscious, and it supposedly has no soul? "What about potential?" Oh, so every moment we fail to mate, and countless sperm are lost, each with massive potential, we are effectively doing mass abortion?

I'm not finished. What about animals? Do they have souls? Do they go to heaven? What about plants? If humans have souls, and animals don't, where in evolution did the human acquire a soul? (I'm ignoring Creationism, because that would require a whole separate page of rhetorical questions.) And if animals do have souls, and plants don't, where in evolution did they acquire souls? If plants have souls... I think I can safely say that no-one is proposing that.

So there you have it. Two or three inescapable contridictions, whichever way you turn.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 06:29 am
aperson wrote:
Many Christians somehow ignore the fact that the Bible condemns homosexuality, but neologist, my dear little neologist, he believes in a literal translation of the Bible, so I don't see how he can say that God does not hate homosexuals.
He doesn't hate any one. He hates our sins. And sins may be forgiven.

Also, I am far from little. Very Happy
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 06:36 am
...How can he hate ours sins but love us, and so torture us for our sins. Just take a look at those Bible quotes. They're fairly potent.

And I assume you're replying to my other posts while I am writing this.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 06:38 am
What about these born again christians who picket dead soldiers funerals, and hold signs up saying "God hates homosexuals"? Will they go to hell for this? I just find it very interesting how christians will disagree with each other about exactly what Gods will is. The fact that they do disagree tells me that no one knows what Gods will is, not even the people who worship him.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 06:52 am
aperson wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, Why is it that god abhors homosexuals, but he created them. Why are there crib deaths? Why are some born with two heads and one body? Did they really have free will? Why does natural disasters kill the good and the bad? What of all those young girls being raped in Africa and getting infected with HIV/AIDS? What kind of sin did they commit to become victims of such dastardly deeds? Why has religion been responsible for most humans inhumanity to man? Why did he stop all those miracles since his death to show he exists? Aren't those born after his death worth the evidence? Why does the bible have so many contradictions, errors and omissions? Was that on purpose to confuse? Did god really devine every word in the bible?

Why is it that historians have kept records from before jesus' life on earth (from about three thousand years before his birth), but there's nothing except the bible to show the existence of jesus? Wouldn't the witnesses to all those miracles have recorded them? Why have all of them disappeared?

Strange.

Nice post, to which the answer, I thought, was rather inadequate.

neologist,

What about babies born with no higher brain functions? Do they have souls? Free will? How about clones? Transgenics? Do still born babies go to Heaven? Or to Hell? If the former, that's very unfair on the rest of us. If the latter, that's very unfair on the babies? What about twins? This is a result of the fertilised egg splitting inside the womb. Does the soul split? Do they have half souls? Or is a new soul made? If so, which one gets the new cell, and which the old? In some cases, the cells actually recombine. If each has a soul, does the resulting cell have two souls? Or does one disappear?

Due to this rather contridictory thing of souls in embryos, some countries have allowed research on embryos before the 17 (I think) day mark, because after then the embryos can't split or recombine. The church approved this. Hang on, doesn't the church shun abortion? If an embryo has no soul before a certain point, why can't it be aborted? It's not conscious, and it supposedly has no soul? "What about potential?" Oh, so every moment we fail to mate, and countless sperm are lost, each with massive potential, we are effectively doing mass abortion?

I'm not finished. What about animals? Do they have souls? Do they go to heaven? What about plants? If humans have souls, and animals don't, where in evolution did the human acquire a soul? (I'm ignoring Creationism, because that would require a whole separate page of rhetorical questions.) And if animals do have souls, and plants don't, where in evolution did they acquire souls? If plants have souls... I think I can safely say that no-one is proposing that.

So there you have it. Two or three inescapable contridictions, whichever way you turn.
Sorry I am not taking time to parse through your post, but you have several glaring misunderstandings about what the bible really teaches. You can look these up if you want, I'll just cite them:

Humans do not have souls, they are souls. (Genesis 2:7)

Animals are souls.

The hope for the majority of mankind is life on earth, not in heaven (Psalm 37:11, quoted by Jesus at Matthew 5:5)

The consequence of sin is death (Genesis 2:17, Romans 6:23) where there is no consciousness (Ecclesiastes 9:5). So, there is no burning hell.

Would you think that all who live without knowing about God should have a second chance? In a world without war and crime and sickness and death? Would that satisfy your concerns about those who suffer injustice?

The bible holds out such a hope.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 07:03 am
aperson wrote:
...How can he hate ours sins but love us, and so torture us for our sins. Just take a look at those Bible quotes. They're fairly potent.

And I assume you're replying to my other posts while I am writing this.
My, you folks are busy. Get this torture thing out of your mind. You're not going to hell no matter what you do.
existential potential wrote:
What about these born again christians who picket dead soldiers funerals, and hold signs up saying "God hates homosexuals"? Will they go to hell for this? I just find it very interesting how christians will disagree with each other about exactly what Gods will is. The fact that they do disagree tells me that no one knows what Gods will is, not even the people who worship him.
God's will was expressed early in Genesis 1:28 and reiterated many times, notably at Isaiah 65:20-24.

The true message of the bible allows no foothold for those whose purpose it is to gain control over their fellow man. That is why it is almost universally obfuscated by those in power.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 07:15 am
How do you know that you have interpreted the bible correctly?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 08:37 am
neo wrote: The consequence of sin is death (Genesis 2:17, Romans 6:23) where there is no consciousness (Ecclesiastes 9:5).

neo, FYI we all die; and consciousness no longer exists. The "real" trick is coming back to life - for which there is no proof/evidence.

Now, do all good Christians come back to life at the age of death, or do they come back as teenagers? Since you never age in heaven, do you remain the same age forever? Do they have beer and wine in heaven?

What will you do for entertainment for eternity? Sounds awfully boring to me!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 08:40 am
Is the roads in heaven paved in gold? What for? What does material value have in heaven? What do you value in heaven? Can you have more children? Will they all be born perfect? CLUE: That's not "life."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:06 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo wrote: The consequence of sin is death (Genesis 2:17, Romans 6:23) where there is no consciousness (Ecclesiastes 9:5).

neo, FYI we all die; and consciousness no longer exists. The "real" trick is coming back to life - for which there is no proof/evidence.
Only the hope we read of in the bible. A good reason to study carefully before you make a commitment.
cicerone imposter wrote:

Now, do all good Christians come back to life at the age of death, or do they come back as teenagers? Since you never age in heaven, do you remain the same age forever? Do they have beer and wine in heaven?

What will you do for entertainment for eternity? Sounds awfully boring to me!
I hope to live on earth and brew my own extra strength India Pale Ale. I have many hobbies that I have been forced to leave unattended. I look forward to them as well as time with my family, travel, etc. As for those who have died and are resurrected, my guess is that they would be without the debilitating condition that caused their deaths and be otherwise recognizable by their personalities, etc.

The idea of heaven is not appealing to me. I like the feel of grass under my feet.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:07 am
neologist wrote:
The true message of the bible allows no foothold for those whose purpose it is to gain control over their fellow man. That is why it is almost universally obfuscated by those in power.
Hmmm.....given that the members of the clergy are in power, are you saying the church almost universally obfuscates the true message of the bible?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:10 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Is the roads in heaven paved in gold? What for? What does material value have in heaven? What do you value in heaven? Can you have more children? Will they all be born perfect? CLUE: That's not "life."
If you've been reading my posts all these years, you should remember that I don't expect to be among those who go to heaven.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:10 am
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Hmmm.....given that the members of the clergy are in power, are you saying the church almost universally obfuscates the true message of the bible?
Bingo!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 09:15 am
Oh, and add the other half of the partnership:

the politicians.

Denis Diderot wrote:
Mankind will never truly be free until the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
0 Replies