The Effect of $20 Gas

Thomas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 08:55 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It's uncharted territory for us. The Europeans have been adjusting to high gas for decades. But, our whole landscape is built around driving everywhere. I think it will be harder for us than for them. But, recall, I did not start this idea. It was the local news.

Well, if your whole infrastructure is built around driving everywhere, a first approach to adapting might be to drive everywhere in a bus, or maybe a carpool. I'll start paying attention to apocalyptic visions about gas being catastrophically expensive at some point. And I'll reach this point the day I drive down the New Jersey turnpike, and fewer cars than not have only one driver in them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 08:55 pm
I remember gas being high, to me, in Firenze in '88. So there were big differences even then. But.. the tank didn't have to cover so many miles, or so it seemed.

I can see land transport across the western US - and to my old home town in north north, being wildly problematic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 08:58 pm
Not arguing w Thomas about the one person one car phenomenon.
0 Replies