Lies, foibles and misrepresentations of Howard Dean.

Sofia

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:19 pm
In all fairness to Howard, he deserves a little analysis. After all, he's running with the big boys now. So, this thread is his Gatorade cooler full of ice water on a cold autumn night-- A well-deserved initiation into political season...

Howard Takes Liberties With the Truth. #1.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,858 • Replies: 185
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:26 pm
The Boston Herald says "Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) also took aim at Dean's Mideast comments - but not during the debate. Instead, Kerry criticized Dean in comments before the television lights went on.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:27 pm
Republicans beginning to run a little scared After all, who do they have to show?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:33 pm
Please restrict your comments on this thread to the specific assertions about Howard Dean.

All candidates for office bear scrutiny.

Howard's Whopper of the Week. Lied about increasing SS age.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:40 pm
Oops. Why did he oppose the Iraq war...?

Excerpt.

Email Archives
Print Reprint

August 7, 2003 -- SURPRISE! Democratic 2004 front-runner Howard Dean is starting to sound like Bill Clinton in a very un-good way: playing word games and waltzing with the truth.
Which doesn't quite suit his claim that his honesty sets him apart from rivals.

Dean also said this week, "I opposed the Iraq war very early on - and the reason why is I simply did not think the president was being candid about the uranium deal with Iraq."

There's no doubt Dean opposed the war early, but not because of President Bush's uranium claims. They didn't come until very late, in Bush's Jan. 28 State of the Union speech, just weeks before the war began March 19.

Now that Dean is the front-runner, he can expect to be held to a higher standard of truthfulness.
-----------
He can expect a whole lotta stuff. :wink: Its easy to take potshots from the shadows...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:41 pm
Sure, sofia. Anything you request. But what yyou're doing is taking quotes from other candidates, and, since they're all contending, The "lies, foibles and misrepresentations of Howard Dean" is all part of the game right now.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:47 pm
Thanks, mama. As a courtesy, I defer to the thread-starter, and I do appreciate you extending me the same courtesy. (There are loads of venues for Bush critiques, and other subjects.)

All of the Dean critiques aren't from candidates, and the ones here are supportable by other links. If you want to challenge any with opposing links, thats certainly fair game.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 10:52 pm
"Smear Wars" well under way.

Before long, sofia will have this thread all to herself.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:00 pm
I think Howard Dean is one of the best things that has happened to US politics. I am delighted to see that he is running and hope he takes the nomination as the Democratic candidate. I have read up and his positions and am sure he will not back off of his intense campagain against the war in Iraq and his dismissive attitude against all those who voted for the war. In yesterdays debate( quote from the Chicago Tribune- 9/10/2003- P. 26 )

"In a sharp rebuttal to Lieberman, Dean said he held the same views as former President Bill Clinton."

How can Bush possibly defeat Dean??????

Go Dean!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:04 pm
Smear? C'Mon, you libruls don't want to have ALL the fun, do ya?

Goose....gander... I know you've heard it. :wink:
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:03 pm
This one has legs.

Howard did a cameo on the new TV show, K Street. The character portrayed by James Carville feeds Dean the line about Lott/MLK on the show.

Dean used it during the debate, and obviously NOT connecting the fact that the nation would see it on the telly, claimed it as his own.

Looks like the Guv will be giving lots of material for this thread.

If he will lie so boldly about such silly things, that leads one to think he's quite adept at the lie. Quite a growing list of lies, for so soon in the race...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:17 pm
Ill say it again. When Dem supporters take a minute to catch there breath from so much fawning over Dean, and start looking at the substance of his blathering, he'll be toast. It's along way til Nov. and by then he will have changed his spots several times.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:50 pm
Agreed, Brand X. My impression of Dean has not changed at all since the first day he was touted as the savior of us Democrates. Empty rhetoric, over-managed campaigning, no substance, nothing to point to as a reason to vote for him other then he isn't George W. Bush.

I'll be very disappointed if Dean manages to talk Clark out of running for President in lieu of the VP nomination.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:55 pm
Butrflynet--
Very impressive quote you're using!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 07:50 pm
Another lib/ Dem who is suspicious of Dean. I've said "opportunist" a few times. I haven't decided anything... continue to watch and listen. Not super impressed yet. Willing to be won over.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 08:30 am
'An Army of Common Citizens'

I went to another house party/fund raiser for Dean yesterday. I was a 'sponsor' ($100.)

It was at the home of Peter and Judith in Rehoboth MA. Myself and about five others volunteered to come early and help our wonderful hosts get ready.

The eighty or so in attendance were thrilled that we got to have a conference call (using multiple speaker-phones) with Gov. Dean. At the same time there were about six hundred OTHER people at house party/fund raisers in Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. hooked up to the call.

Most of the locations got to ask the Gov. a question or two and we heard energetic cheering every time a specific house party and location was mentioned...NO ONE cheered louder than we did however.

A fascinating thing about this event, as with virtually every other Dean event I've been to, was that it was comprised of people of all ages, contained large numbers of independents, (and a sprinkling of republicans) and the vast majority, as with me, had NEVER been actively involved in a political campaign before!

Gov. Dean is creating something that before now only the republican candidates had --a highly energized dedicated base, a growing ARMY that now numbers hundreds of thousands of activists willing....no not willing, EAGER to give their time and energy and money to elect him.

And get this...it is this this 'army of common citizens' --not lobbyists and self-interested fat cats-- who have flooded Gov. Dean's campaign coffers.

Howard Dean may occasionally misspeak (who doesn't?) but it is extraordinarily comforting to know that he is not speaking and acting on behalf of lobbyists, corporate titans, or any other selfish special interest.

It's so-o-o-o astonishing, and gratifying to feel the energy of my fellow average citizens. They are mostly moderate in their views, and not single issue voters. They are quick to say that they don't agree with Dean on this or that but support him anyway because of the 'total package'.

This is truly a campaign of hope.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:42 pm
You're easily impressed if you were titillated by the opportunity to pay for a conference call shared with ***700*** other people.

The only thing of substance you can report from the riveting exchange of questions and answers with Dean is the boisterous applause and cheers whenever a speaker phone's location was mentioned?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:46 pm
Heh.

I AM definitely impressed with his grassroots movement, but I like Tartarin's (?) comment about it being a mile wide and an inch deep. This has to be beyond the political equivalent of flash mobs. I'd LOVE to be among a bunch of passionate, likeminded people who are putting their heart and soul into getting Bush out of the White House. I'm just not yet convinced that Dean is the best bet to replace him.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 06:58 pm
sozobe wrote:
Heh.

I AM definitely impressed with his grassroots movement, but I like Tartarin's (?) comment about it being a mile wide and an inch deep. This has to be beyond the political equivalent of flash mobs. I'd LOVE to be among a bunch of passionate, likeminded people who are putting their heart and soul into getting Bush out of the White House. I'm just not yet convinced that Dean is the best bet to replace him.

Hi Soz,

If Tartarin said that, I am surprised. Perhaps she didn't mean quite it in the way that it seems.

I would assert that the situation is quite different.

When people who have never before found the time to be involved in a campaign, come FLOCKING to a campaign, when they are eagerly asking 'What can I DO!!?', when average working people --people who live on budgets, are signing up to make monthly campaign contributions on their credit cards of $50. , $100. and MORE...that is passionate involvement and commitment that is BOTH a mile wide AND a mile deep.

Why don't you see for yourself? Visit the Dean blog and read the 'comments' to a couple of blog entries. I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

Dean blog: http://www.blogforamerica.com/

PS
Dean supporters have now held over one thousand events nation-wide. (on the Dean blog or on the Dean main website you can click on the 'get local' link, put in your zip code and you'll get an idea of what Dean activities supporters are conducting in your area)

Only ONE of the thousand plus events/activities was a 'flash-mob'. (yesterday, Seattle) The latter may seem silly to some but I gather it was great fun for the participants and certainly has to be considered a success as a 'Dean visibility event'
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:53 pm
jjorge, I have no doubt that there is a lot of anti-Bush fervor, and that Dean is making use of that wonderfully. I also don't think that he is a horrible guy.

I'm glad to see people who are passionately involved in something.

I just remain skeptical of whether Dean has the substance to back things up, if he can preach to the unconverted, if he can really oust Bush, and if he would be able to govern if he did reach the White House. Again, I'm not saying he can't, I'm saying that I remain unconvinced thus far.

Am reading your Dean diary with interest. Wink
0 Replies