Imus at it again

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:05 pm
http://www.tmz.com/2008/06/23/imus-pulls-an-imus-round-two/

Will he survive after this? Since I have never listened to the guy, I can only guess at the rest of his show.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,607 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:13 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:00 pm
just read bout him on wikipedia. sounds like a howard stern for anti-semites. maybe he wants to be fired from cbs, abc, and nbc (assuming abc fires him & nbc hires him). Razz
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:54 pm
Looks like ole lizard face did it again. Im still wondering why people even listen to him?
His interviews were always inane, and his "humor" nonexistent.

Hes always come in pretty near the bottom of drive time ratings , so why did he make it into the new millenium. Isnt he old enough for Social Security?

Why do the good ones like CArlin have to die and guys like this just hang around like some fossilized Joey Bishop.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:13 am
His bosses must on some level find him agreeable. Why else would they not fill his studio with cement and station trained dogs about the premises?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:51 am
Under fire once again for remarks about race yesterday, radio host Don Imus this morning said that his comments about Dallas Cowboy Adam "Pacman" Jones are being misinterpreted.

"Warner and I were talking about 'Pacman' Jones being arrested six times," Imus said this morning, "and obviously they are picking on him. So I asked Warner what color he was. Obviously, I already knew what color he was... And I said there you go, that's the point. What people should be outraged about is they arrest blacks for no reason. There was no reason to arrest this kid six times."

Imus went on to say, "they shoot blacks for no reason. We know about that in New York City. I mean, We already understand all this...Nobody, no white man with a radio or television program has had more discussions about race relations since December 3rd than I have. ... We talk about it all the time."

"My point is, there is no reason to arrest this kid six times," Imus said. "He is a football player, he's a lovely kid. He's out having fun, he gets arrested six times, well we know why he gets arrested six times."

The Dallas Morning News reports that, told of Imus's original comments by a reporter, Jones himself says he's "truly upset about the comments. Obviously Mr. Imus has problems with African-Americans. I'm upset, and I hope the station he works for handles it accordingly. I will pray for him."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 11:57 am
His comments seem very ambiguous to me. I don't see any clear insult in them. The mere mention of race isn't racist. It's very hard to tell what he was trying to say. Surely it should take more than this to condemn someone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 12:18 pm
His explanation ought to be taken at face value, I think.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 12:23 pm
brandon, it doesn't require special insight to realize that his remarks would be interpreted in a derogatory way, considering his past remarks about the Rutgers womens' basketball team. it would be one thing if he clarified his latest remarks at the time he made them, but issuing a statement a day later isn't too convincing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
When you create a sound bite that is open to interpretation, it's what you would expect. But I think Don Imus just has those senior moments -- although what's the excuse for younger talking heads and politicians.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:20 pm
It's that ratings dance that he does. His intent is to be controversial and he doesn't blink about crossing the line. Whether or not he crossed over the line this time, will be up to his network and his bosses to determine. I have no use for him personally. He crossed over the line many times in past and, in particular, with that women's college basketball players comments before.

This time, umm...I'll leave it for his bosses. I think it was, at the least, unwise for him, and, at the worst, in horribly, poor taste and completely unwarranted. Why even comment at all, if not to stir controversy?!

He's a fool!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:40 pm
part of an article that appeared in "businessweek" 3 or 4 years ago :

Quote:
On April 8, former General Electric chairman Jack Welch and his wife, Suzy, sat for a 15-minute interview with morning talk-radio host Don Imus about the couple's new book, "Winning." For weeks before, Imus and his cast frequently teased Welch and the former Suzy Wetlaufer, spinning ribald innuendo about the day the two met at Manhattan's 21 Club, a lunch date that sparked a romance that led to Welch's divorce. Bawdy characterizations of Suzy Welch continued even that day, just before the interview and after. "Suzy has been around more times than a fan-belt," Imus repeatedly joked. Asked why they did the interview anyway, Welch told me simply, "We have a book to sell and Imus is great for selling books."

that may be part of his "appeal" .

source :
DON IMUS
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:41 pm
I've just never seen anything special about the guy... not witty, not clever, kind of just a sarcastic dick with an overblown opinion of himself.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:46 pm
What can you expect? The man is in the business to create controversy and score ratings. Nothing more, nothing less.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 06:58 pm
If that were true, his formula isnt working. HEs been consistently in the lower tuers of NY radio ratings books. Im not sure that he even has a demographic besides"deceased"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 07:14 pm
yitwail wrote:
brandon, it doesn't require special insight to realize that his remarks would be interpreted in a derogatory way, considering his past remarks about the Rutgers womens' basketball team. it would be one thing if he clarified his latest remarks at the time he made them, but issuing a statement a day later isn't too convincing.

Do U mean that he has NO RIGHT TO HAVE AN OPINION ?

or that he can HAVE one but he must keep it SECRET; he can 't express it
unless it is POLITICALLY CORRECT ?

WHAT HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH ??????????

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 07:17 pm
eoe wrote:
What can you expect?
The man is in the business to create controversy and score ratings.
Nothing more, nothing less.

YES.

That is his business.

Let the law of supply n demand
in the free market decide his destiny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 07:28 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
yitwail wrote:

David

He has the right to say anything he wants. But, his boss's rght might force him off the air
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:16 pm
This simply is an issue called community standards. To call attention to other side issues is either being naive or intellectually dishonest. I see nowhere there is any freedom of speech being questioned or threatened. He has the freedom to be a fool and his boss has the freedom to fire him if he doesn't like his work.

You have the freedom to (falsely) yell fire in a crowded theater...even when there is no fire. Then, as a consequence, you'll have the privilege of going to jail for creating a panic.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 10:25 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
yitwail wrote:

David

He has the right to say anything he wants.
But, his boss's rght might force him off the air

As an individualist supporter of laissez faire free enterprize,
I agree with u, as to the owner's rights.

However,
I think it was implicit in most of the posts here
that people have a duty to slavishly FOLLOW
politically correct community standards.

From that notion: I DISSENT
0 Replies