Sexual satisfaction and quality of life

kickycan

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:10 am
Chai wrote:
I've based my interpretation of a good relationship with the question "Would this person wipe my ass for me? Would I wipe his ass for him?"

If I can answer yes to both those questions, sex is not going to be a problem.

How romantic!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:14 am
Yeah well, it ain't all candle light and moonbeams kicky.

brook, no denying sex feels good, and so does the afterwards. But for long term bonding, sex is not going to do it.

Remember, in the evolutionary sex, people bonded through sex long enough to stay together to raise their young. Until recent history, people pretty much were near the end once their youngest was able to take care of themselves, and sex drives were still strong when you kicked off.

Now, with people living into their 70's, 80's, 90's and soon beyond on a regular basis, there better be something there beyond good sex and good afterglow.

Do people still enjoy close physical contact with others? Of course. Is is sexual? Over time, less and less.

So, what if sexual incompatability is a source of divorce? Eventually most people will want to be with someone else, and that time may be after their sex drive is not what it was in their 20's. Don't fool yourself thinking you are going to feel the same and will be able to perform the same past a certain time.

As sullyfish said, things change.

When that change comes, there better be a stronger base than the fact the two of you boffed well together.

As far as "wiping someone's ass", it may not be their ass, but relationship that go on for a life time eventually involve doing something for the other that one would not normally associate with being "sexy"

In fact, if I had to perform an act for someone when young that I was sexually involved, and in love with, it wouldn't make me feel less sexy. It would make me realize that isn't all that is keeping us together.

Picking a random age of maturity, let's say 60, I thing everyone would agree that generally a person of that age does not perform or have the desires of let's say a 25 year old.....but dig this, that 60 year old could very well be around for another 25, 30 or more years, longer than the sexually active 25 year old has even been alive.

That said, I'm more concerned with other factors than being able to get into it for at least an hour several times a month.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 11:13 am
Chai said:
Quote:
But for long term bonding, sex is not going to do it.

Yeah- probably not if you think of it as 'boffing' and as a way for you to kill an hour a few times a month.
I guess I think of it differently.

Because I totally disagree that good marital sex does not enhance bonding. I can't think of anything else that serves the same purpose in a marriage - do most people even get married if they're not looking forward to and intending to have sex with each other?
If you're living together and you're not having sex you may as well call the person your beloved room-mate.

Yes, after a marriage is established and people know each other and have lived with each other through good and bad, childbirth, death of parents and siblings, disasters, successes, etc. there are other things that cement that bond and bind those people together.

And I think that scenario works fine as long as the two people are on the same page as far as their physical needs go. But if they aren't - it can be a sticking point, no matter how fond and attached you are to the other person.

I disagree that your twenties and thirties are always the pinnacle of sexual experience and energy and it's all downhill from there because that certainly hasn't been the case in my own life and experience.

Maybe you envision life with the amount and quality of sex dwindling as you age as being fine because that's the way you feel about it. And as long as your partner does too - I guess that works out fine.

But I think there are other people who are just as loving who feel differently about it and would rate it as being a more important part of their relationship.

And I might not leave someone I loved who couldn't have sex - but I'd be damned frustrated and sad about it...I'm not to the point where I can imagine giving it up as a part of my life without real issue - no matter how much I loved and cared for another person.

You can love someone all you want - but if you are someone who needs sex in your life - that's who you are.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 12:05 pm
I never said sex did not bond people in a marriage. I said for the long term, and what I mean by long term is 40, 50 plus years of co-habiting, it's going to take More than sex.

As far as being on the same page....why would 2 people get married in the first place if they weren't? Sure, I know that happens all the time, I did it myself once, and I have no idea why. Marriage means being on the same page. Well, maybe like 2 pages that tell the same story, maybe one with more or less florish, but the 2 pages essentiall say the same thing as far as what's important.

I also never said that 20's 30's were the be all and end all of sexual activity, or of ability. Again, I'm taking a LONG term view of marriage, and frankly, wondering about the ages of whoever responded to the relationship column that was previously mentioned.

However, if anyone looks at various decades of life, I don't think it would be any surprise that overall, a 25 year old has an different desire for and ability to perform sex than a 65 year old. I could go older or younger, but then people would start talking of their personal experience, which may or may not reflect the average of the entire population. I really find no harm in assuming that the older a person gets, it would not be unusual for their interest in sex, or ability, to lessen.

I didn't say that is how I feel about it, or my partner. I didn't mention how I envision my life in any way.

Would it be frustrating to either you or your partner couldn't have sex any longer? Of course it is, I've never disputed that.

But, there are a lot of things in life that are frustrating or sad, that have nothing to do with sex, and everything to do with relationships.

One of the things I found frustrating was the fact this thread started with a "fact" that was pulled out of the clear blue sky. No one has given anyone any reason to believe almost half of marriage end because of sexual incompatability. I thing that number was just pulled out of some popular pychology talk with little research, just casual questioning of people who may or may not represent the full spectrum of the population.

I mean, was this magazine something like Cosmo, that is read by a small demographic, or was it in a reputable magazine respected in the sexual research community?

I'm 49 still got a little more than half my life ahead of me. Coincidentaly, I just figured I've been sexually active for about 30 years, and it'd be nice to think I'll be active for another 30. However, I'm not going to imagine that the next 30 years will resemable the 1st 15.

I have a theory that's why we get more and more farsighted as we grow older, so we can't see up close extra skin and wrinkles. It's one of the nice things God does for us. It's easier to enjoy sex if we can't see each other as well sometimes.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 12:23 pm
Chai wrote:
Yeah well, it ain't all candle light and moonbeams kicky.

brook, no denying sex feels good, and so does the afterwards. But for long term bonding, sex is not going to do it.

Well....I don't believe I was saying that sex was the only equation in long term bonding. I was talking about sex because...well, the topic is about sex. If someone were to start a topic on the whole picture.....I could come up with a multitude of things that, in my belief, would be bonding factors in a marriage/relationship.

I think sex is more than just hormones and if my partner still makes me feel loved and desired and sexy at 70......I'm still gonna be climbing on top of him. Really, no matter the age. And if he can't perform. There are other ways he can pleasure me. And we will adjust as time requires.

I do admit that I hope sex continues till I leave this earth. To me....it is a beautiful way of spreading your love on someone. It would be a sad day for me if I ever stop thinking that way.

I like it. I want it. I need it. Probably more than the supposed norm. I don't know. I just know that I am highly charged. And if it's crawling in bed next to me every night....it's a good bet that I'm gonna move on it. Will that change as I get older. Gawd I would hope not. But realism tells me that it might. That's why I said sex is more that just hormones, though. And if he's making me feel sexy......I'm still gonna want it regardless of waned hormones.

Going back to the topic of this thread regarding sexual issues and importance...........
If two people become sexually incompatible in a marriage and one partner is unwilling to work together on resolving or finding a way around it......then you have deeper problems than the lack of sex anyhow. And I wouldn't be surprised that relationships that do break up and point to sex as the culprit, have a host of unresolved issues that lent a hand to the split. Highly unlikely IMO that it's just about sex.
0 Replies

titia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:40 am
Chai wrote:
One of the things I found frustrating was the fact this thread started with a "fact" that was pulled out of the clear blue sky. No one has given anyone any reason to believe almost half of marriage end because of sexual incompatability. I thing that number was just pulled out of some popular pychology talk with little research, just casual questioning of people who may or may not represent the full spectrum of the population.

I mean, was this magazine something like Cosmo, that is read by a small demographic, or was it in a reputable magazine respected in the sexual research community?

The magazine is local to a country with 3.5 million inhabitants, so on one hand it is actually a small thing. On the other hand, it is the leading and, I would say, the only respected psychological magazine in this country, so I doubt whether they would take figures "off the ceiling". Although I frankly did not care to read what the poll was based on and what was the group of respondents. www.psichologijatau.lt

I should maybe also note that you misread the note: the research said that 49% of couples named sexual issues BETWEEN the main reasons, not AS the only reason. The whole column focused on analysis what the typical sexual problems are in families and had professionals comment the common issues; it was not ment to emphasise how much more important sex is in family life compared to other things or so. In fact it did not touch other spheres of life at all.

I don't think I was meaning to touch other spheres of life with this thread either :wink:
0 Replies

titia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 02:46 am
JustBrooke wrote:

Well....I don't believe I was saying that sex was the only equation in long term bonding. I was talking about sex because...well, the topic is about sex. If someone were to start a topic on the whole picture.....I could come up with a multitude of things that, in my belief, would be bonding factors in a marriage/relationship.

I think sex is more than just hormones and if my partner still makes me feel loved and desired and sexy at 70......I'm still gonna be climbing on top of him. Really, no matter the age. And if he can't perform. There are other ways he can pleasure me. And we will adjust as time requires.

I do admit that I hope sex continues till I leave this earth. To me....it is a beautiful way of spreading your love on someone. It would be a sad day for me if I ever stop thinking that way.

I like it. I want it. I need it. Probably more than the supposed norm. I don't know. I just know that I am highly charged. And if it's crawling in bed next to me every night....it's a good bet that I'm gonna move on it. Will that change as I get older. Gawd I would hope not. But realism tells me that it might. That's why I said sex is more that just hormones, though. And if he's making me feel sexy......I'm still gonna want it regardless of waned hormones.

Going back to the topic of this thread regarding sexual issues and importance...........
If two people become sexually incompatible in a marriage and one partner is unwilling to work together on resolving or finding a way around it......then you have deeper problems than the lack of sex anyhow. And I wouldn't be surprised that relationships that do break up and point to sex as the culprit, have a host of unresolved issues that lent a hand to the split. Highly unlikely IMO that it's just about sex.

I like your point Smile Just wanted to add -- I remember someone telling: "Sex is -- or, at least, should be -- the highest possible expression of love". I think what you described is fairly illustrated by this.
0 Replies

titia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 03:18 am
aidan wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it - but I've wiped asses I would never have wanted to have a romantic relationship with. And that might make a wonderful relationship of one sort or another - but probably not the most condusive for the most rewarding partnership relationship (unless you're into that ****... Laughing).
It's apples and oranges (in my opinion).

Compassion and caring are wonderful - and can be very, very sexy characteristics actually.
I myself would be much more likely to find a kind, compassionate caring person sexier and more desireable than a selfish sarcastic smartass- but for me, that's not what would end up causing or defining my relationship with that person.
I know I don't love people because of what they can or will do for me - I love them because of who they are.

And I think it all comes back to how important sex is or isn't to the participants in the relationship. Because how much you love to be with or spend time with someone WILL influence how much you end up loving them or whether you continue to love them over the course of years.

And honestly - if I ever get in the situation where someone has to wipe my ass for me - I'd rather have someone other than my sexual partner do it. Why? Because I'd like for him to be able to at least try to retain some of his sexual feelings for me - and I think if he's wiping my ass every day - he probably won't want to be doing much else with it - know what I mean? That's a hard and dirty job to do all day and I think it'd be going over and above to then expect someone to go that extra mile when the mood happens to strike - if it ever would again.

As I said, I'd do my best...even to the point of wiping someone's ass for them, but I don't know that I could live up to my own ideals....just being honest. I've never been tested in that way. God bless the ones who have and have passed the test with flying colors- and I say that with nothing but sincerity and admiration.

I think these are interesting questions whatever inspired them.

Since the "wiping the ass" question came up, I'd like to note that I totally support Aidan's opinion. I've actually been in the situation when, after giving birth, I could not even sit (not to mention taking care of myself) for several days, and my husband took a vacation so that he could "look after me" in the hospital. I had a constant, fierce shifer, was bleeding like hell, and needed help whenever I wanted "to the bathroom".

Was I happy to hear that my husband will be taking care of me? Hell, no, I was humiliated. I thought I was already in a bad situation, why on earth would he wish to make it worse? And, finally, what the nurses are for?

I didn't want him to see me like this because I expected to have just the same relationship as before after leaving the hospital. I wish to feel desired and attractive to the man I love, and the last thing I'd want is him seeing me as someone almost disabled and serving me with those "portable WCs".

There is a saying that love makes people pull their socks up. You want them to see the best of you when the relationship is fresh, and I think that after some years, it's still not so that you don't care at all what their opinion is about you... People are different and this does not necessarily apply to everybody, but I personally really support this.
0 Replies

titia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 04:35 am
Chai wrote:
In "fact" I find it more interesting to discover what actually is the biggest problem that causes marriages to break up.

I'm sure it's not sex.

Just out of pure curiousity, I did a quick search on the topic to see what other results show. There are tons of different polls and researches accomplished on common divorce reasons, and the just to throw a couple examples:
-------------------------------------------------
According to Los Angeles family instutute professor Paul Popnau, key divorce reasons are:
a) sexual incompatibility;
b) not having a common opinion on how to spend time;
c) financial issues;
d) mental, physical or emotional abnormalities.

A poll accomplished by GFK Roper (http://www.gfkamerica.com/) states other figures: "GFK Roper spoke to more than 1,500 people by telephone to discuss marriage and divorce issues with them. Slightly more than half of the respondents, 860, were women, and the rest were men. There is a margin or error of plus or minus 2.6 percent for the sample.

When looked at separately, men and women were divided on what they saw as the reasons for their divorces. Women overwhelmingly said they made the decision to divorce because of abuse issues with a response rate of 48 percent. But 23 percent of men said the reasons they divorced were based on money. Another 22 percent of men cited sex as the reason for the divorce.

In fact, sex as a reason for divorce was the most divergent response. It was high on the list for men, but very low on the list for women. Just 11 percent of women said sex was the reason they divorced.

Christie Lawrence, who hosts Pathways Life Management Seminars in Texas, said the divergence makes some sense because as women are feeling dissatisfaction with their relationships, they are less likely to want to have sex. Men might see the lack of sex as the problem, but it is likely something more complicated, Lawrence said. There is conflict and confusion between men and women regarding the definition of intimacy, she said."
-------------------------------------------------

Afterthought: naturally, the results of different polls are different, and the "weight" given to sexual issues differs as well. Although I would think that 22% naming sex as KEY reason for divorce is even more surprising than 49% saying it was one of the reasons...

Anyhow, this doesn't fall under the topic of the thread. If the situation interests you to that high extent, you can always run an investigation of different sources and come up with an opinion worth to be posted as a dedicated thread. Maybe even under "Science & Mathematics" Wink
0 Replies