Fear of a Black President

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 08:49 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Really?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg/300px-Gustav_Klimt_046.jpgThis painting sold for $135 million. Surely you realize that's a damn sight more than the Oil, silver, gold, wood and canvas that it was created from. How does this fit the "the total number of available resources on the planet divided by the population" theory you seem so confident in? The simple truth is; it doesn't. An idea can be even more valuable, despite being created from zero resources beyond the human mind. Don't believe me? Ask Larry Page and Sergey Brin. :wink:

(Read Smith before dismissing him, Cyclo. You're smarter than that.)

I've read Smith; I'm not dismissing him. I understand his argument and yours.

But what you talk about isn't really long-term wealth. It's assumed wealth. That painting sold for 135 million b/c somebody who had a very large slice of the resource pie decided to trade their resources for it; they desired it. That doesn't make it actually worth 135 million 'dollars' of resources such as food, or whatever.
Stubborn ignorance is unbecoming. That painting, when sold, was worth exactly 135 million dollars. The fella who sold it may very well have invested his money in more traditional assets. A farmer without money for seed may sell his paintings for seed money. The girl who cut's your hair creates $20 or so in value, simply by moving her scissors. You said money is wealth. If that is so; how can you then claim that services that generate money aren't creating wealth? Your anticipated answer that someone else traded their real money for the service (like the fella who bought the painting) isn't a rebuttal... it is the beginning of understanding your error. The more times money changes hands; the more people get to enjoy it. This is a fundamental truth and if you really read and/or understood Smith and/or my argument; you'd realize that by now.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
As I said; there has not been a society or currency which has not collapsed sooner or later. When the inevitable happens, assumed wealth vanishes; the second food runs short, or water becomes hard to get, you just try trading that painting for resources and see how much ya get Laughing
Assuming that the entire world's currency is going to collapse is a pretty ridiculous way to make a point. You may as well argue that humans are not long for this earth, because in earth-terms; we're not.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Wealth is relative; it will always be so; and the only thing we can do to change the total amount of wealth is advance scientific development, find more total resources or better ways to use them.
This is beyond idiotic. Science has nothing to do with art. Science has nothing to do with entertainment. Science is only one of many things that can create wealth. The only thing you said here that makes any sense at all is that wealth is relative... but what does that have to do with the price of eggs?

Watch this pardox in your own reasoning: If the United States shares their existing science with the countries of Africa, for instance; Africans will be able to increase their own wealth simply by utilizing it. This would happen independent of the United States' resources, would it not? Stop arguing and start thinking.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
At the end of the day, your argument is grounded in social convention, whereas mine is grounded in physics; which do you think is longer lasting?
The two are not mutually exclusive... and this has been well known by every economist worth a nickel since at least 1776. :wink:

Thank God you have not gone completely to the Dark Side!

(Poor Cyclo - He was beginning to think of you as a fellow traveller)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, no; but social convention changes, whereas physics, not so much.

And it can change very quickly as well. The entire world doesn't have to collapse for things to drastically lose their value; people are quite often trapped in troubled areas for various reasons, and the failure of their assumed wealth is a big problem.

I get your point, I just look at the situation from a different perspective, is all.

Cycloptichorn
That's what I like about discussion with you. Smile I would encourage you not to stop at getting my point, and instead learn the foundation for same. The worse off half of this planet could greatly improve their lot in life many many times the relatively small amount of redistribution we'd have to contribute to get the ball rolling. There are billions out there that need to learn to fish, if only they'd listen.

Since it costs a communist $5 to make a pizza; a pizza is worth $5.
A capitalist can make that same pizza for $5; only when he does it it's worth $15 for applying his craft. In the process; he triples the value of those ingredients, and magically creates $10 which is then added to the economy when he takes his turn at spending it. And so it goes, over and over again. The thing is; it isn't magic... and guys much smarter than us figured it out a long, long time ago.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Thank God you have not gone completely to the Dark Side!

(Poor Cyclo - He was beginning to think of you as a fellow traveller)
Laughing I suspect you may be the one thinking of me as his fellow traveler. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:16 pm
If I may be so bold as to say a small thing about the original topic of this thread.

Wouldn't it be pretty natural for there to be some fear of a black president on the part of non-black Americans?

Humans generally seem to find new things anxiety provoking (I suspect this is an inherent thing....balanced by our inordinate curiosity.)

This is a new thing for the US.

Remember the hooha about Kennedy being Catholic?

Also, the US has a deeply fraught racial history.

I would think some fear to be pretty normal.

One hopes it wouldn't actually affect voting, but there it is.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 03:52 am
Thanks, dlowan.
There seems to be resistance here to the idea (a no-brainer, IMO) that yes, of course some folks are afraid of the idea of a black man serving as president - and not based on any highminded philosophical or ideological differences.

I think our track record shows as a country (the dearth of black CEOs, black professional head coaches in sport, even any officer position above 0-4 in the Army - an 'ahem' meritocracy) the proof of institutional discrimination against black men as a class of people. There is instance after instance of historical precedents of white people having mass doubt of the abilities of blacks to serve in certain capacities. To use a couple more military references, Blacks were kept from combat because the were labeleed too undisciplined and uncourageous; from piloting because they were considered incapable of mastering certain complicated concepts. The list is pretty exhaustive in many walks of life where blacks have been kept out of the 'driver's seat' for one bogus reason or another.

So I offer the proposal that there still exists a considerable bit of resistance to the idea that a black man can do or even comprehend the job of president - and there are naysayers to that? Smelly, I say...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:07 am
snood wrote:
Thanks, dlowan.
There seems to be resistance here to the idea (a no-brainer, IMO) that yes, of course some folks are afraid of the idea of a black man serving as president - and not based on any highminded philosophical or ideological differences.

I think our track record shows as a country (the dearth of black CEOs, black professional head coaches in sport, even any officer position above 0-4 in the Army - an 'ahem' meritocracy) the proof of institutional discrimination against black men as a class of people. There is instance after instance of historical precedents of white people having mass doubt of the abilities of blacks to serve in certain capacities. To use a couple more military references, Blacks were kept from combat because the were labeleed too undisciplined and uncourageous; from piloting because they were considered incapable of mastering certain complicated concepts. The list is pretty exhaustive in many walks of life where blacks have been kept out of the 'driver's seat' for one bogus reason or another.

So I offer the proposal that there still exists a considerable bit of resistance to the idea that a black man can do or even comprehend the job of president - and there are naysayers to that? Smelly, I say...

Obama shoud be positioned to win the election by a landslide. Yet, I have the nagging feeling McCain cannot be counted out, mainly for the kind of reasons you have been bringing up.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:12 am
YES!! EXACTLY, ED!!!!

(thx for the validation)
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:35 am
I have no resistance to a black man being president, but I do fear Obama being president.
My strong resistance to Obama has nothing to do with the color of his skin.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:38 am
'course not...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:54 am

snood wrote:
'course not...

Was I not clear enough for you?
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:43 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I love the 'total wealth is increasing' BS that Republicans spout. I really don't think it is. We get new products, and standard of living might rise across the board as science advances; but wealth is relative. It has no objective meaning other then as a measurement of the differences between people.

Cycloptichorn

Total wealth "is" increasing for the top 5 percent of the already wealthy. The middle class and the poor have been losing ground for the past seven years - thanks to Bush and his trickle down tax cuts for the wealthy. That McCain wants to make Bush's tax cuts permanent tells us that McCain doesn't understand the middle class or the poor's struggles to keep food on the table.

Your statement only reinforces, what I already knew! Cool
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:36 am
snood wrote:
Thanks, dlowan.

FYI,
Quote:
According to Pentagon data, as of May:

• 5.6 percent of the 923 general officers or admirals were black.

• Eight blacks were three-star lieutenant generals or vice admirals.

• Seventeen were two-star major generals or rear admirals.

• Twenty-six were one-star brigadier generals or rear admirals.

• Three of the black one-stars were women.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080723/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/blacks_in_the_military
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:39 am
What's your point? You've simply illustrated my point of the paucity of blacks in field officer ranks.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:40 am
H2O_MAN wrote:

snood wrote:
'course not...

Crystal. What seems to be your difficulty with my response?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:47 am
snood wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

snood wrote:
'course not...

Crystal. What seems to be your difficulty with my response?

Your original response was open ended, but you cleared it up - thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:01 am
snood wrote:
What's your point? You've simply illustrated my point of the paucity of blacks in field officer ranks.

You apparently didnt read the article, did you.

Let me help you with it...

Quote:

Then we have lawmakers that are monorities that are also apparently racist.
They refuse to nominate anyone for the service academies...

Quote:

So if you dont send people to the academies, they cant start on the path to becoming general officers.

Then of course, when there are fewer blacks coming into the service, that means there will be fewer balck officers...

Quote:
While the percentage of black recruits has grown during the past 60 years, it peaked at almost 26 percent in 1979. That year, they represented nearly four in 10 of all Army recruits and almost three in 10 for the Marines, both all-time highs for the services that see the most battlefield combat.

The Air Force and Navy, meanwhile, peaked in later years, with blacks accounting for roughly 20 percent of enlistees.

Since the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan began, the percentage of blacks coming into the Army has plunged from 22 percent to 13 percent. Also, the percentage of blacks in the military overall has dipped in the past 10 years, from more than 20 percent to 17 percent today.

There are many factors involved, yet you immediately see racism.
That tells me that your mind is made up and you dont want to be confused by the truth.
You see racism where there is none.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:31 am
I think it's an error in thinking Obama should be perched for a landslide--per Edgar and snood. This is (imo) more egocentric wishful thinking than an accurate deduction of the facts. If racism is the reason you cite for no landslide on the horizon, I think--once again--YOU are too focused on race.

There are plenty of reasons he's not perched on a landslide.

Geez.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:47 am
Lash wrote:
I think it's an error in thinking Obama should be perched for a landslide--per Edgar and snood. This is (imo) more egocentric wishful thinking than an accurate deduction of the facts. If racism is the reason you cite for no landslide on the horizon, I think--once again--YOU are too focused on race.

There are plenty of reasons he's not perched on a landslide.

Geez.

Really? What are those reasons?

I remind you that he is running a better campaign then McCain, generates far more excitement, has more money, and is winning every state Kerry did plus 8-10 others, depending on the polling day.

That's the sort of stuff which leads to a landslide...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:52 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I remind you that he is running a better campaign then McCain

Really, how so?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:54 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Really, how so?

In every respect. And there is little disagreement about this amongst those who have been paying attention.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:00 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Really, how so?

In every respect.

Really? Are you kidding? You can't be serious!

Left eye, you are in for a rude awakening.
0 Replies