Does Obama have any competition?

engineer

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:05 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
engineer wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
there's not as much discussion of McCain perhaps because he's a much more known quantity than Obama.

At this point, I find the opposite is true. I've heard a lot about Obama's voting record, his history in both the Senate and in the Ill. Senate, his college background, his organizing activities after college, etc. I thought I knew a lot about McCain, but as news starts to trickle out about him, I found I assumed a lot about him that wasn't true. Poor acedemic record, undistinguished military career, votes against Katrina investigations, etc. I for one did not know as much as I thought I did.

you're cherry picking. And I don't support McCain.... at all. A notice you say you've HEARD a lot about Obama... just as over the years you've HEARD a lot about John McCain. Why as more HEAR more negative things about McCain do you give them any more weight than what may come out about Obama that is negative and contradicts what you've originally HEARD?

My point is that I had an impression of McCain as this maverick, tell it as it is, war hero, middle of the road senator. That impression was wrong (though anyone who was tortured while serving his country certainly counts as a war hero to me). It's not that I'm cherry picking, only that my not fully informed impression was wrong. In fact, little about my initial impression was accurate. I give those points weight because they contradict my earlier impression.

When I say I've "heard" a lot about Obama (about whom I knew nothing several months ago), I mean to say that I have read several dozen articles, many of which I got links to here, that discuss his history in detail. Loose grammer on my part. I've read about his childhood history, his college days, his associates from that time, his first jobs, his organizing activities, his conversion to Christianity, his church, his wife, his family life, his election to the IL senate, the bills he sponsored there, his election to the Senate, the bills he sponsored, co-sponsored, failed to sponsor there, the make-up of his campaign team, all of his proposed policies, the backgrounds of his political advisors, his relationships with many other senators, his wife's background, the jewelry he wears on the campaign trail, the way he stands for the national anthem, the financing arrangement on his home, etc. At this point, I know more FACTS about Obama than for any other candidate I've ever followed. None of those facts contradict my previously held beliefs since I didn't have any. I haven't been won over by his oration skills because I've never seen more than five seconds of any speech he's ever given.

At this point, Obama is as close to a known quantity as you will ever get in a Presidential candidate. If you don't like what you see, fine, but at least you can see it. McCain is a complete enigma to me. Will he be the maverick of eight years ago or the Bush clone of the last two years? That's what I mean when I say that McCain is an unknown quantity.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:10 pm
fair enough. I don't necessarily agree on all points.... but that's certainly a fair assessment.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:12 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Bear....

Let me ask about the other guy (since you seem to fixated on your dislike of Obama).

You seem to think that John McCain... with his pro-war, anti-choice, pro-rich attitudes... isn't a horrible candidate and far more dangerous than the alternative? Just the thought of his Supreme Court picks alone should send shivers down the spine of anyone who cares about rights or women.

This leads to the question.... what does John McCain need to do to lose your vote?

why do you expect me to discuss civilly with you when you can't resist adding a snarky comment right off the bat?

And what makes you think I'm a McCain supporter? I'm not and have said so many times and places.

Get with it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:17 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Bear....

Let me ask about the other guy (since you seem to fixated on your dislike of Obama).

You seem to think that John McCain... with his pro-war, anti-choice, pro-rich attitudes... isn't a horrible candidate and far more dangerous than the alternative? Just the thought of his Supreme Court picks alone should send shivers down the spine of anyone who cares about rights or women.

This leads to the question.... what does John McCain need to do to lose your vote?

why do you expect me to discuss civilly with you when you can't resist adding a snarky comment right off the bat?

And what makes you think I'm a McCain supporter? I'm not and have said so many times and places.

Get with it.

Why is it that if someone doesn't support Obama and lick his ass with every post they must be a McCain Supporter?

Shouldn't your question of been "How can Obama earn your vote?"
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:21 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
engineer wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
there's not as much discussion of McCain perhaps because he's a much more known quantity than Obama.

At this point, I find the opposite is true. I've heard a lot about Obama's voting record, his history in both the Senate and in the Ill. Senate, his college background, his organizing activities after college, etc. I thought I knew a lot about McCain, but as news starts to trickle out about him, I found I assumed a lot about him that wasn't true. Poor acedemic record, undistinguished military career, votes against Katrina investigations, etc. I for one did not know as much as I thought I did.

Did you hear about McCain's early experiences in a militant Panamanian mosque?

See, learn more every day! Smile
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:25 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Bear....

Get with it.

Why is it that if someone doesn't support Obama and lick his ass with every post they must be a McCain Supporter?

Laughing

Over this campaign I seemed to have morphed from a liberal to a McCain supporter.
At this rate I will probably learn (and be the last to learn) that I supported bush and the war in iraq.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Bear....

Get with it.

Come on! We all know where its at. There are two candidates with any real chance. Either McCain, or Obama will be the next president.

Both of you spend a disproportionate amount of time writing negative posts about Obama. Attacking Obama/ Supporting McCain... not much difference.

If you support the Iraq war, want tax-cuts for the wealthy and protections for corportation, and oppose choice, then jumping on the McCain side (and attacking Obama) makes sense.

Don't pretend that throwing mud at Obama isn't part of a strategy to help McCain get elected.

It appears, from your willingness to spread slime against Obama, that both of you have chosen your side.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:01 pm
Laughing

What a dork.

It's like bear is new user here with no history of trashing almost every conservative principle and politician known to man. Now, because he dares to question the messianic nature of your man Obama, he must be a die hard conservative who supports McCain.

You guys should take a step back and check yourselves as you keep making asses of yourselves and though I am enjoying the show, I really don't think Bear supports McCain in any way shape or form.

Pointing out flaws in the Obama veneer is a fun hobby to be sure, but you guys take your defense waaaaaaay too seriously. It's like he is your best pal and friend, or lover or whatever when in reality he is just another politician making promises he can't keep to get a job that strokes his ego.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 01:42 pm
The Obama veneer huh McG?

I'm curious, what, precisely, is this veneer?
What is the substrate beneath the veneer if the veneer is either so thin or so transparent?

Do you just prefer to call Obama supporters names in lieu of anything that can substantiate the veneer claim?

For a man who staunchly defended Bush and his administration, even long after the "compassionate conservative" veneer had been peeled back, you seem awfully anxious to reciprocate the criticism, even in the absence of an alleged duplicitous substrate.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 03:51 pm
Easy Candidone,

That McGentrix is coming to the defense of Bipolar-bear, is amusing and kind of sweet.

Let's not ruin their moment.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:25 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Bear....

Get with it.

Well said sir!
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:39 pm
If there was anything that either of these guys could bring forward that really makes Obama look as bad as they spin him off to be, my ears would be wide open and mouth closed shut for the duration of the discussion.

Unfortunately, Bear embarked on his campaign of disdain with "I have a bad feeling about Obama." Since then, he has done nothing more than rail against Obama for trivialities, substantiating virtually nothing other than a Bush-esque "gut feeling".
So much for the quest to finally put a Democrat in the White House.

That he has curried favor with McGentrix, of all people, is not in the least bit surprising, but at least McG has been consistent throughout his membership at A2K. BPB has just become so soured and embittered that he rails against a viable Democrat as though they were a viable Republican.

Like Obama or not, he's the nominee.
No amount of b!tching and complaining is going to change that.
No amount of b!tching and complaining against Obama is going to prevent McCain from securing another term for the republicans.

That should be the goal--preventing a continuation of failed policies, not kicking and screaming 24/7 because you have a bad feeling about someone, or because the tripe peddled by the smear machines resonates within your gut.

I hope McG and BPB enjoy their moment and don't rush things too much. They will have 4 years to bond if Obama wins in November.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:09 pm
hey pal ... I haven't curried favor with anyone... but I find myself in the strange postition of being defended by McG... likewise I havent asked for the disdain of any of my former "FRIENDS" WHO LIKED ME BEFORE i was drummed out of the hip liberal club for not caring for Obama.

I've been nothing but consistent. If I am embittered, which I'm not, it would be by fair weather friends. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:51 pm
Mcg is having fun: Let's you and bi bear fight. Laughing
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 08:27 am
There exists a stark contrast between "not caring for Obama" and whining incessantly about everything to do with the guy, and being on the constant attack of his supporters. Sure, some of them are d!cks, but, then again, sometimes so are you. You can't claim to have taken the moral high road in many instances.

If Cy wants to rail against you via PM, there was a reason it was sent privately. Making it public doesn't validate you or your position. You just seem to want to continue the republican-esque smear campaign against Obama, and claim "Mission Accomplished" when you find anyone in even the most subtle agreement with you..

Dislike Obama all you want. Dislike his supporters all you want....but can you try to keep in mind that we are now looking at a battle between Obama and McCain, and as much as it may not seem like it, what you are doing against Obama is in fact strengthening the McCain campaign to some degree, and on some level? So, while it is obvious that you are not, and likely will never be, an out-and-out republican supporter, you sure the heck aren't coming accross as a supporter of the broader democratic party.

All I ask in the Obama bashing is, what's the payoff?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:00 am
Funny, that's what I asked, too.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:59 am
Perhaps for the future prospect of exclusive "told ya so" bragging rights in the event Obama or his administration fails.

I know a great deal of us who felt vindicated when our suspicions of Bushco manifested themselves in reality.

Just like many hold-out Bushites, I'm sure they want to continue to support Bush, facts be damned, because they don't want to appear a flip flip, or of having been falliable.

So, I suspect a lot of people put a lot of stock both in the predictive nature and accuracy of their crystal ball, and I'm sure BPB continues his vitriolic campaign against Obama because of some ego driven desire to later say, "see, I told ya so" if things go sideways. We see it already with these minor Obama issues. He makes them just as mountainous as a republican and then attacks those who defend Obama as though he is a republican.

Peculiar, these PUMA's.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:12 am
you girls are just loaded down with cute little nicknames, slogans and acronymns. It's like being a fly on the wall at a cheerleaders pajama party.

Obamarama ladies..... I can't wait to hear the cheer. Laughing
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:28 am
BPB wrote:
you girls are just loaded down with cute little nicknames, slogans and acronymns. It's like being a fly on the wall at a cheerleaders pajama party.

Not only was that devoid of wit or humor, it doesn't even make sense dude.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:31 am
it wasn't supposed to be funny...
0 Replies