Does Obama have any competition?

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:35 am
I opened up the Politics forum this morning and saw the following headlines.

- Obama supporters: where do you differ from your candidate?
- Why Does Barack Obama Want To Ban All Our Guns?
- MichelleObama: Black and White Culture Not The Same
- Obama vs Head Scarves? Obama forgets where he came from?
- Please Answer This Question Obama Supporters
- Barack Obama's half-brother confirms Obama was raised Muslim
- Did Obama Fill Sandbags During Katrina?
- Is This Obama's New Pastor?

It is almost like Obama is the only candidate running (there are a couple of posts on this other fellow... one of which I started as the mirror image of an Obama post).

This trend is followed on other we sites... including the RNC website. Check it out, Obama is the most common word on the DNC website (which isn't a surprise) but Obama is also prominently featured on the RNC website.

From all sides, both good and bad, the focus of our political discussion is Obama.

This has to be a very good thing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,518 • Replies: 63
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:37 am
We may face the prospect of Obama burnout by election day.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 06:50 am
Folks do seem to be trolling for some Obama issue that can gain traction.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:18 am
It does upset me that, given the poiltical climate for the last 7 1/2 years, and given the mood of the past 2 elections, Americans would be tired of "issues that could gain some traction"--issues being gaffe's, poor decisions made by volunteers, or the opinions of the candidates' neighbors sisters fathers coworkers daughter.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:28 am
Yes! About half the electorate.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:29 am
there's not as much discussion of McCain perhaps because he's a much more known quantity than Obama.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 08:52 am
It seems to me, this election is going to be Obama vs. Bush (yeah I said Bush) with the other guy playing the roll of stand-in. If I were a political candidate, I would want to be in the place that Obama is in.

Bear, McCain is not that much of a known quantity. I am surprised about how many people don't realize, for example, that he is staunchly pro-life.

But, no matter. This election is obviously about Obama (and Bush).
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 09:56 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
there's not as much discussion of McCain perhaps because he's a much more known quantity than Obama.

At this point, I find the opposite is true. I've heard a lot about Obama's voting record, his history in both the Senate and in the Ill. Senate, his college background, his organizing activities after college, etc. I thought I knew a lot about McCain, but as news starts to trickle out about him, I found I assumed a lot about him that wasn't true. Poor acedemic record, undistinguished military career, votes against Katrina investigations, etc. I for one did not know as much as I thought I did.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:11 am
Re: Does Obama have any competition?
ebrown_p wrote:
Does Obama have any competition?

His own personal integrity will do him in.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:25 am
engineer wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

At this point, I find the opposite is true. I've heard a lot about Obama's voting record, his history in both the Senate and in the Ill. Senate, his college background, his organizing activities after college, etc. I thought I knew a lot about McCain, but as news starts to trickle out about him, I found I assumed a lot about him that wasn't true. Poor acedemic record, undistinguished military career, votes against Katrina investigations, etc. I for one did not know as much as I thought I did.

you're cherry picking. And I don't support McCain.... at all. A notice you say you've HEARD a lot about Obama... just as over the years you've HEARD a lot about John McCain. Why as more HEAR more negative things about McCain do you give them any more weight than what may come out about Obama that is negative and contradicts what you've originally HEARD?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:26 am
engineer wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Did you hear about McCain's early experiences in a militant Panamanian mosque?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:29 am
I have to agree with the lead poster. On both Republican and Dem sites across the net, every day, I see NOTHING but headlines about Obama. McCain isn't discussed a third as much.

It is a serious problem for McCain, that his campaign isn't generating the buzz and excitement that one would want...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:31 am
That means Obama has more sizzling commercials.... Cola wars.... that's all.

America after all does buy the product with the most sizzle in the commercials.... and the quality of the product does not guarantee a win or a loss....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:33 am
I don't think that the writers at, say, the National Review are discussing Obama all day long because of his commercials...

It's because he's a serious threat to them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:39 am
Bear....

Let me ask about the other guy (since you seem to fixated on your dislike of Obama).

You seem to think that John McCain... with his pro-war, anti-choice, pro-rich attitudes... isn't a horrible candidate and far more dangerous than the alternative? Just the thought of his Supreme Court picks alone should send shivers down the spine of anyone who cares about rights or women.

This leads to the question.... what does John McCain need to do to lose your vote?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:40 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I see NOTHING but headlines about Obama.

Would you expect anything less from the left wing media ??
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:42 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

That is the who point H20.... the right wing media is just as fixated on Obama (and barely mentions McCain).

That's what makes the phenomenon so promising.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:43 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The line before?

" On both Republican and Dem sites across the net"

Republican websites are ran by the left wing media?

You guys are really in trouble if that's the case!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:44 am
How many of the threads about Obama in my initial post were from right wing posters?

Not even the conservatives here are starting threads about McCain....
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:49 am
ebrown_p wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

That is the who point H20.... the right wing media is just as fixated on Obama (and barely mentions McCain).

What right wing media ??

Blog sights don't really count as media...
0 Replies