Wow, 3 posts on Russert dying...

Mame

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 02:00 pm
So I thought I'd post about somebody different - or several somebodies.

June 13, 2008
Author was 'one of the finest writers Canada has produced'

SANDRA MARTIN

Imagine a totally creative person - poet, playwright, short-story writer, painter, pianist. That was James Reaney, one of our most diverse and prolific artists, a man whose virtuosity extended from theatrical workshops with children to literary scholarship in the academy. He played with form, voice and space on the page, the airwaves and the stage. Like Alice Munro, he rarely strayed from his physical roots in Southwestern Ontario, the source of his inspiration.

June 13, 2008
MARGARET BECKHAM

Wil Vanderelst

Wil Vanderelst of Jordan, Ont., writes about Margaret Beckman, who was the subject of a Lives Lived essay on May 14.

June 13, 2008
BRIAN BUDD: 56

Peter Mallett

One of Canada's first true soccer superstars died Wednesday of undisclosed causes. Brian (Budgie) Budd was found collapsed at his Toronto home. He was 56.He was best known for the remarkable athleticism he displayed in outshining higher-profile professional athletes by winning the ABC Sports World Superstars contests three consecutive times between 1977 and 1979. His success provoked the network to pass a rule - known as the Budd rule - baring anyone from participating in the event after they had won it three times.

June 13, 2008
MITCH FREROTTE: 43

Mitch Frerotte, an offensive lineman who played in three Super Bowls for the Buffalo Bills, died Wednesday of a heart attack while visiting his mother's home. He was 43.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 878 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 06:20 am
Russert is a classic example of what happens to aging men who have elevated LDL-cholesterol levels, low HDL-cholesterol levels, excess weight and hypertension.

Based on appearances it would appear that his son is headed down the same path.

Why are people so slow to learn about CV disease and it's consequences?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:42 pm
Miller wrote:
Russert is a classic example of what happens to aging men who have elevated LDL-cholesterol levels, low HDL-cholesterol levels, excess weight and hypertension.

Based on appearances it would appear that his son is headed down the same path.

Why are people so slow to learn about CV disease and it's consequences?

Because our society is success oriented and time obsessed (squeezing more into a day than some other societies do in a day). And, being a society that is more egalitarian than others, there are those that are willing to work hard, every day, for success, as they define it.

And, you can ask that question when only 40 some odd years ago tv commercials were talking about the beneficial effects of smoking?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:35 pm
My grandma battled her weight, ate bad foods, had high cholesterol and she smoked like a fiend. And she never listened to her doctor. She died last year at 102. Her doctor died in 1989. Ya just don't know!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:41 pm
NickFun wrote:
My grandma battled her weight, ate bad foods, had high cholesterol and she smoked like a fiend. And she never listened to her doctor. She died last year at 102. Her doctor died in 1989. Ya just don't know!

In my opinion, the day will come when individuals with a strong genetic constitution will be identified through medical DNA testing, and then they won't have to worry much about their health. I do think it is in the genes.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:47 pm
The fact is, my grandma never DID worry about her health at all. Maybe that's how she lived so long.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 04:43 am
Quote:

My grandma battled her weight, ate bad foods, had high cholesterol and she smoked like a fiend. And she never listened to her doctor. She died last year at 102.
. SO young. She should have been watching her diet and exercise and quit smoking so she could l have lived to 105
0 Replies