Witnesses for UFO Congressional hearing

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:45 am
You seem to be a very reliable source to identify whack jobs. High ranking Air Force officers? Wackos. Nuclear facility guards? Lunies. A guy using Jesus Christus struggling on his cross for an avatar? A shining beacon of truth, of course. Highly trustworthy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:58 pm
I don't believe he struggling, looks more like the boogaloo . . . i think he's dancing . . .
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:02 pm
Oh, no problem then Seth. Oops...
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 03:59 pm
wolf wrote:
You seem to be a very reliable source to identify whack jobs. High ranking Air Force officers? Wackos. Nuclear facility guards? Lunies. A guy using Jesus Christus struggling on his cross for an avatar? A shining beacon of truth, of course. Highly trustworthy.

In case basic logic has passed you by, which obviously it has, neither an Air Force officer, nor a nuclear facility guard has any expertise in alien craft. The only people out there who might be qualified to talk about potential aliens say there are none visiting Earth. The people who have expertise in visual phenomenon say that sightings are most often mistakes.

Do try to avoid ridiculous logical fallacies, okay?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:04 pm
Ah, that makes all witnesses unreliable. Well, if that's where your logic leads. . . .
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:04 pm
Quote:
The only people out there who might be qualified to talk about potential aliens say there are none visiting Earth. The people who have expertise in visual phenomenon say that sightings are most often mistakes.

And who might that be?
0 Replies

fluid1959

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:41 pm
How can you have any pudding if ya dont eat your soup!
Airline Pilots have on more than one occasion reported two things.

1) Have at times witnessed objects in the skies, that they believe are not normal man made flying objects. Causing major magnetic disturbance related to the their directional equipment.

2) Reported that being truthful about such sighting is job threatening.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 01:38 pm
wolf wrote:
Quote:
The only people out there who might be qualified to talk about potential aliens say there are none visiting Earth. The people who have expertise in visual phenomenon say that sightings are most often mistakes.

And who might that be?

Astronomers, physicists and other scientists who work in similar fields, of course.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 01:39 pm
Re: How can you have any pudding if ya dont eat your soup!
fluid1959 wrote:
Airline Pilots have on more than one occasion reported two things.

1) Have at times witnessed objects in the skies, that they believe are not normal man made flying objects. Causing major magnetic disturbance related to the their directional equipment.

2) Reported that being truthful about such sighting is job threatening.

It's a big jump going from "I saw something" to "It came from Mars". Figure it out. Yes, there are reports that *SOMETHING* caused a disturbance. Claiming it is an alien craft is fallacious without evidence to support it.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 01:59 pm
Yes, ufos could indeed be anything. But given 1) the fact that they've been seen throughout history - including pre-technological eras and 2) the fact that fighter pilots would not be silenced over a cigarette lighter's reflection in the window, the arguments pile up to acknowledge something unusual is going on.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 06:12 pm
Hmm, not the best English phrase I've written.

Still, it's happening.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 05:38 am
If that's the best English you've written, your self-expression is in big trouble.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 06:12 am
I'm glad, I had had lunch already :wink:

HOW TO COOK AN ALIEN
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 08:51 am
Quote:
If that's the best English you've written, your self-expression is in big trouble.

Your cropped up frustration level throughout this thread has scored a new record, Setanta.

For a non-Anglosaxon autodidact, my expression level is in great shape, thank you. I'm rather concerned for your emotional stability. People should make themselves more useful than to dwell forums and debunk stuff.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
wolf wrote:
Yes, ufos could indeed be anything. But given 1) the fact that they've been seen throughout history - including pre-technological eras and 2) the fact that fighter pilots would not be silenced over a cigarette lighter's reflection in the window, the arguments pile up to acknowledge something unusual is going on.

People have been seeing strange things for thousands of years, so what? You're taking anecdotal evidence and claiming it to be alien life and that's illogical and irrational. People claimed to see sea monsters too, that doesn't make it so. People claimed to see the edge of the earth too. People claimed a lot of things that we know today just weren't so.

So why do you keep doing it?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:21 am
Why they keep doing it (random theories):

Because it fills a need of some sort?
Because ordinary life is kind of dull sometimes?
Because having cult-like beliefs is kind of cool?
Because it's a way to get people to pay attention to them?
Because it gets a rise out of the grown-ups?
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:44 am
skepticiism is healthy. But closing your eyes for the evidence of a deep ufo coverup, hence a ufo phenomenon sufficient to cause unseen panic in governmental circles, is unhealthy.

The debunking effort of this phenomenon has spread all over the information system, including the internet. Some of the hysterical reactions to my post (by persons who were/are tied to the department of defense, nota bene), have largely exceeded genuine skepticism. The aggression and ridiculisation towards the extraterrestrial hypothesis was typical, and can be encountered in almost any forum of the web. A spontaneous reaction of conservatism? Maybe. An orchestrated effort? It must be.

The brutal attitude towards the topic is, in any case, despicable. Every one must understand, that no visits would be more surprising than the actual visits so many honorable men in the military community have claimed to be real events.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:45 am
wolf wrote:
Your cropped up frustration level throughout this thread has scored a new record, Setanta.

For a non-Anglosaxon autodidact, my expression level is in great shape, thank you. I'm rather concerned for your emotional stability. People should make themselves more useful than to dwell forums and debunk stuff.

Without regard to what is your native language, that was poorly written in English, the language in which you are now attempting to communicate. You assume both frustration and an emotional response from me. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is you who become hysterical about this topic, sometimes ranting and flinging insults at all who have the temerity to question your obvious credulity. I don't know who you think you are to judge the usefulness of others, but i can assure you i don't give a rat's ass for your opinion on the subject. I easily spend far less time each week on-line than even casual television viewers spend in front of the idiot box. You invest your assessment of the engagement of others in this topic by your own obsession. For the most of us, this is a minor topic, a tempest in a tea pot, and we none of us have the emotional investment that you have made in this ridiculous topic. Rather than offer two-bit, quack psychological advice to others, you should develop the ability to step back and view your own emotional response to a subject which just isn't that important.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:07 am
There are two Setantas: one who thinks he's not frustrated, and one who replies with frustrated venom to topics out of his scope/mission.

I find this topic very important. Dozens of your colleagues in the military do so as well. I'm in good company.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
To quote Anatole France, if fifty thousand men believe a wrong thing, it is still a wrong thing. And you continue, wrongly, to conflate your emotional response (and frustration--sometimes verging on hysteria) with the responses of others. Nothing about your willfull blindness is frustrating to me, but if it reassures you to believe as much you help yourself.

Tempest in a tea pot, Boss, a tempest in a tea pot . . .
0 Replies