Omega-3 Oil

gollum

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 07:43 pm
I have read that eating foods containing omega-3 oil is healthy. I have also read that it is unhealthy to eat saturated fat.

My question is, what foods contain omega-3 oil but not saturated fat?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 947 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 07:57 pm
I'm thinking fatty fish like mackerel and sardines, but you can do the looking up on that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 08:08 pm
salmon, sardines, flax seeds and flax oil for beginners.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:08 pm
Also walnuts and avocados.
So far--with the exception of olive oil--we've described the major ingredients of the most healthful diet--the mediterranean diet.
Fruits, veggies, nuts, fish, olive oil, whole grains...
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 03:55 am
Omega - 3 Oil
edgarblythe-
Thank you but I believe that sardines and salmon have a significant amounts of saturated fat.

I have never eaten flax seed. Can I buy that in the supermarket? Produce section?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 04:52 am
Re: Omega - 3 Oil
gollum wrote:
edgarblythe-
Thank you but I believe that sardines and salmon have a significant amounts of saturated fat.

I have never eaten flax seed. Can I buy that in the supermarket? Produce section?

Frankly, a bit of saturated fat from a sardine is not a big worry, no matter what you may be reading.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 11:14 am
That's right. One cannot totally avoid saturated fat. It's not only what we don't eat that keeps us well; it's also what we DO eat that does so. I just ate a half-can of red sockeye wild-caught salmon. It was SO good. After that I had a whole wheat enligh muffin with 100% canola margilne. The latter has a bit of saturated fat, but on the whole it's so much better that butter or margarine with their high levels of saturated and trans fats.
Later I will use the salmon in a sandwich. It will contain whole wheat bread, celery and a faux mayonaise--"vegenaise"--made with grapeseed oil (no animal products/cholesterol).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 04:30 pm
In moderation, saturated fat is actually good for you. The big fuss was caused by processed foods giving way too much.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 04:52 pm
Omega - 3 Oil
edgarblythe-
What is the scientific basis for your statement that "in moderation, saturated fat is actually good for you."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 05:11 pm
I'm no scientist or food expert. What I state is what I believe from years of personal searches to healthy eating. I read and experiment. I occasionally find quotes such as this: Americans consume an average of 25.5 grams of saturated fat a day, which is 5-10 grams more than we should be eating. Saturated-fat intake is linked to high cholesterol and increased risk of coronary heart disease and stroke. http://lowfatcooking.about.com/b/2006/08/07/what-just-one-high-saturated-fat-meal-can-do.htm

You will note the article does not say to totally avoid saturated fat. It just says to not overdo it. It is my belief most persons should eat as wide a variety of food as possible and not listen to the latest fad food scares.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 05:13 pm
Re: Omega - 3 Oil
gollum wrote:
edgarblythe-
What is the scientific basis for your statement that "in moderation, saturated fat is actually good for you."

Here's a good explanation:

Why Saturated Fat Can Be Good For You...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 05:30 pm
Thanks greenwich.
0 Replies