Is it time for Obama to choose a running mate?

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:03 pm
Wow. That really suprises me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:10 pm
There was some Lanny Davis stuff, too -- he's starting some website or petition or something, and told her about it, and she gave her blessing.

I have no doubt that she'd infinitely prefer to be president, but if that ain't gonna happen, I think she considers VP to be the least-worst consolation prize. And I think she really wants to at least be asked, as separate from whether she wants the position per se. That's part of why I think some pro forma thing might happen -- that after thorough negotiations and signed contracts or whatever to make sure nothing goes amiss, Obama "asks" and she graciously declines.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:11 pm
Well, technically, I think she's already been president once...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:11 pm
I agree. It's because she is incredibly self-centered, and her decisions revolve around what is best - for her.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:27 pm
As my mother would have said, she has quite a crust. Er, an old fashioned phrase. But then my mother wouldn't have said that, as she was for Taft.
For me, Clinton's sense of entitlement, while still astounding, is still in action.

I hope Obama takes his time, not to thwart her, but to make a wise decision.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:34 pm
kickycan wrote:
There is no way in hell he is picking her as V.P. That is just ridiculous. It won't happen. He will pick Wesley Clark, in his own due time, as he should.
Interesting that you and I (of all combinations) seem to be the only two who think Clark would be a great fit. Has anyone checked the temperature in Hell lately?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 03:05 pm
Speed kills.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:34 pm
Do you lot think you know more than the bookies.

Jeepers creepers. It's the reason you don't bet that you accept that you don't.

Get your money on. The more people you tell what a good thing you're on the less you win.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:55 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
kickycan wrote:
There is no way in hell he is picking her as V.P. That is just ridiculous. It won't happen. He will pick Wesley Clark, in his own due time, as he should.
Interesting that you and I (of all combinations) seem to be the only two who think Clark would be a great fit. Has anyone checked the temperature in Hell lately?

He does fit very well in one respect. He's a gaffe per minute like McCain and Obama are. The last time I saw Clark he was on Bill Maher's show and they were discussing Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan...etc. etc. when the general began talking out of his ass about 'facts' and Bill was just looking at Clark like he had a giraffe growing out his forehead.

It was rather funny because everyone caught it. All three of them suck at facts.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:22 pm
It is hard to know who he picks has I have never heard obama speak on his theory of what a vp is for. I am sure that he wants someone who is a team player and I suspect that he wants someone who shares his values....other than that???
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:58 pm
"The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the word from the Obama camp is that a joint ticket is unlikely:

Close supporters suggested she would like to be his running mate, on a unity ticket.

But close advisers to Sen. Obama signaled an Obama-Clinton ticket was highly unlikely. People in both camps cited what several called "a deal-breaker" -- Bill Clinton may balk at releasing records of his business dealings and big donors to his presidential library."
link
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 08:08 pm
Well, that's rather close for comfort to me.

Back off, jo jo.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:07 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
It is hard to know who he picks has I have never heard obama speak on his theory of what a vp is for. I am sure that he wants someone who is a team player and I suspect that he wants someone who shares his values....other than that???

I suspect the Veep's values are far less important to Obama than the votes the Veep can pull in that Obama might otherwise miss.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 04:51 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I suspect the Veep's values are far less important to Obama than the votes the Veep can pull in that Obama might otherwise miss.

I dunno. I mean, this is just speculation, but I get the feeling that his biggest priority is to get a Veep who will fit in with the campaign he's run. The one thing his campaign has stood out for, especially compared with the ongoing psychodramas of Hillaryland and the volatile fortunes of McCain's campaign (from frontrunner to bankrupt back to frontrunner again) is how steady, consistent and disciplined it's been. That's the one thing that's impressed me most, anyhow, that's won me over even when I had my doubts both about the focus of his message and the limits of his demographic appeal.

This is one lean, mean, disciplined campaign, always on message, never word leaking out of internal rivalries, divisions, camps fighting each other. There's this consistent focus on planning things way in advance and keeping the course even in the face of media hypes that would tempt other campaigns into impulsive, ad hoc changes of strategy or message. He's adjusted his appeal over time, but gradually, and basically they've just been plugging away at their plan. The various reporting on his campaign suggests that this is their overriding priority too: no drama.

I think that, more than anything else, would be a dealbreaker in selecting any Veep candidate, and I am guessing (and hoping) it would certainly be a dealbreaker when it comes to having Hillary as Veep candidate. Importing Hillaryland would at once undo their whole m.o.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:12 am
Excellent post, nimh. I concur heartily. She is too egocentric to work WITH or UNDER someone else and she's more of a loose cannon than Obama, who of course, is not.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:43 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Add me to your list.

(They must be burning the furniture down there by now.)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:49 am
Better for Hillary, if she is truly only interested in what's best for her... to stand away from the carnage, watch one of these two get elected and f*ck the country up even more than it already is (if that's possible) and plan for 2012.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:54 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Better for Hillary, if she is truly only interested in what's best for her... to stand away from the carnage, watch one of these two get elected and f*ck the country up even more than it already is (if that's possible) and plan for 2012.

Bear, why are you so sure that no matter who gets elected the country will be worse for it?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:59 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Man, your bitterness has reached not only the status of intolerable, but also delusional.
You are now drawing the irrational conclusion that Obama could/will likely f*ck the country up even more than it already is.

Get a grip man.

Seriously.

Equating Obama to Bush is not only irrational and silly, but believing that Hillary was the Messiah Who Has Come To Save America is precisely what you have criticized Obama supporters of believing.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:02 am
Well at least some Democrats are not supporting Hillary as Veep:

Quote:
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is conceding the Democratic presidential nomination to Sen. Barack Obama, as party leaders and strategists began to openly oppose the former first lady's aggressive efforts to join the ticket.

"Senator Clinton will be hosting an event in Washington, D.C., to thank her supporters and express her support for Senator Obama and party unity," the Clinton campaign said in a statement Wednesday night. The event is set for Saturday.

A series of other events Wednesday consolidated Mr. Obama's power over the party as its de facto nominee - a continuing surge of superdelegate endorsements, statements by party elders that the race is over, and his naming of a vice-presidential team, which brought about the inevitable debate over Mrs. Clinton as a running mate.

Former President Jimmy Carter told a British newspaper that choosing the former first lady, who has refused to concede defeat, would be "the worst mistake that could be made." He told the Guardian that since half of each Democrat's supporters don't like the other, Mr. Obama would run the risk of "the worst of both worlds."

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton addresses a pro-Israel group on Wednesday in Washington. The Democratic presidential hopeful is expected to concede defeat to Mr. Obama later this week.

Pennsylvania Gov. Edward G. Rendell, a Clinton supporter, disputed the notion that Mrs. Clinton's strong second-place finish gives her leverage on the all-but-certain nominee.

"There's no bargaining. You don't bargain with the presidential nominee. Even if you're Hillary Clinton and you have 18 million votes, you don't bargain," he said.
LINK
0 Replies