Is it time for Obama to choose a running mate?

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:31 am
Clearly Hillary is trying to muscle her way onto the ticket, by forcing his hand. Why not force hers instead? Why not put whatever backlash he is going to receive behind him as rapidly as possible? What would happen if he announced today that he's chosen Webb (for instance) to be his running mate? Isn't that the final card and doesn't it have to be played in the near future anyway?

Also; how cool would it be if he could talk Colon Powell into accepting VP? I think that would be ideal for a multitude of reasons (some sinister).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,138 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:35 am
I always think whomever runs for president must be crazy. If Obama was to go for Hillary, I would think he was both crazy and a masochist.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:46 am
No. Let it rest.

Right now the pressure from Camp Hillary is enormous, and the backlash of going against that straight after the last votes would be fierce. Let tensions calm, let Clinton fade gradually from the media spotlight (even if she doesnt want to, the media will just be less interested in her now that the race is over).

Let much speculation about who else could be Veep follow -- right now Hillary is the only serious candidate whom most people even heard of. Let Hillary deal with the fact that she lost, get to grips with it and start behaving more accordingly.

And above all, go through the lengthy and intense vetting process that is standard for this choice.

There is no reason for him to be forced into playing his hand already now, either for or against Obama. He's Steady Eddie, let him truck along according to long-deliberated planning. No sudden bouncing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:49 am
Yep, I agree, especially in terms of vetting.

Maureen Dowd had a satirical column on this that had an element of truth -- Bill going to Obama and begging for Hillary to be on the ticket, and Obama saying "why sure" and then casually listing all the things that will be looked into during the vetting process and Bill saying uh, nevermind.

Also, give some time for the Democrats to unite WITHOUT her on the ticket. It's already started happening. If the Dems are uniting without her, the best argument for her being VP evaporates.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:09 pm
oh dear god I hope it isnt her..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:13 pm
Oh, I hope it is, Shewolf. Of course, I'm not a Democrat.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:13 pm
Precisely...
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:24 pm
An atty i ate lunch with today has the opinion that inviting her on the ticket - regardless of when it happens - puts him in the light of being easily 'bullied'
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:25 pm
oh, and HEY SOZ, ROGER, BILL!!! *HUGS*
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:28 pm
Mrs. Bill Clinton is setting up Obama to be the bad guy. By her saying she would be open to the VP slot, when he does ultimately pick someone else, she will whine on again about how she was robbed of what she is entitled to.

Can't wait for that show to begin.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:32 pm
HUGS BACK!

The "Yay!" emails have been rolling in today from all kinds of places, people I forgot I've talked to about this. (One said, in totality, "You were right.") Way fun.

I agree with your lawyer friend, too -- there's definitely a risk of looking weak if Obama gets browbeaten into putting Hillary on the ticket.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:35 pm
Colon Powell, I laughed at your sinister remark.

No to Hillary. Please. He could do alright if he picks a Suth'ner like Webb.

I just saw something about Michael Bloomberg aas a VP choice.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:35 pm
Not time to choose a running mate, and Hillary will go her own way quickly enough. She no longer has any institutional support; her biggest backers are all saying to the media that she needs to drop out. She will not survive a summer full of trying to fight the entire Democratic party, and she knows it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:48 pm
I really doubt Hillary wants to be #2.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:54 pm
I think Hillary has expressed her interest in the #2 position?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:55 pm
There is no way in hell he is picking her as V.P. That is just ridiculous. It won't happen. He will pick Wesley Clark, in his own due time, as he should.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:12 pm
He's 16 to 1 here for VEEP candidate.

The Gutsy Broad is 6 to 4.

Jim Webb 5 to 1.

John Edwards 6 to 1

Bill Richardson 10 to 1

Kathleen Sibelius 6 to 1.

Ted Strickland 8 to 1

Wesley Clark 16 to 1.

There are about 30 others quoted.

Has your man a good chance kicky. 16 to 1 is tempting.

To win in Nov B.0. is 2 gets 1 and J.M. is 6 to 4.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:21 pm
Good to see you!
(((((( Onyxelle ))))))

Interesting takes, Nimh & Soz (which means I'm probably wrong). My fear is that the longer he waits, the more time Hillary remains relevant and therefore in the news and doing damage. I think the Hill-people need to get to grieving already so they have time to come around.

I also think she's playing her cards dead wrong. She'd be harder to deny if she was behaving like a team player instead of a spoiled child. What was it? Demented narcissism? I like that description.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:32 pm
I agree with nimh. Obama ran the kind of organized campaign that proves he's not going to buckle under the Hillary pressure. I'm sure he's just savoring the victory for now, and will begin the next stage of the campaign with the same kind of focus and sense of play (have you seen some of his pictures while campaigning? he's having a goood time).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:40 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I really doubt Hillary wants to be #2.

She does, and she's deputized Bob Johnson (BET founder, he of implying that Obama used to sell drugs fame) to lead the campaign to make her #2, apparently:

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/hillary_ally_says_she_authoriz.php

Quote:
Hillary Ally Says She Authorized Him To Launch Campaign To Make Her Veep
By Greg Sargent - June 4, 2008, 12:53PM

A bunch of people have reported this morning that Robert Johnson, the founder of BET and a key Hillary supporter, has launched a public campaign to get Obama to offer her the Veep slot.

But it's in this interview that Johnson said some truly revealing stuff...

Johnson said he began discussing the vice presidency with Clinton last month and that they talked about it at a dinner in Puerto Rico last Saturday and again by phone and e-mail on Tuesday. "Let me be clear," Johnson said in a telephone interview Wednesday morning. "She said if asked to do this, she must accept because she believes that it is in the best interest of the party that the party come together and win in November."

So according to Johnson, she was discussing the Veepstakes as early as last month, and even said that she would accept the Veep slot if asked. And there's more...

Johnson said he talked specifically with Clinton on Tuesday about his intentions. "She said, 'Go ahead,'" he recalled, although asked that he wait until Wednesday to do so.

In other words, Hillary basically authorized Johnson to launch the campaign. This is all pretty suggestive stuff. We're going to follow up with Johnson and will bring you more if we can get it.
0 Replies