why is drinking early considered bad?

Mame

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:26 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Mame wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mame wrote:
What exactly is 'binge' drinking?

A Canadian asking that question is like Michaelangelo asking "What is a paintbrush?"

Yeah, sorry... we Canadians are always falling over drunk whether we be on ice skating rinks, running around in our dog sleds, hunting moose, making beaver tail hats, cleaning our igloos. I plum forgot.

People who live in the far north be it the America's, Europe, or Siberia tend to drink a lot, this is not news. Civilization that far North would not function with out the aid of alcohol, nature is too harsh and dreary.

Oh give me a break. None of the aboriginals in Canada drank until we introduced it to them. And Canadians in the far north don't necessarily drink any more than any one else. Civilization that far North couldn't function? Now THAT'S hilarious! "Harsh and Dreary"? You've obviously never been up there.

Please try to restrict your conversation to things you might actually know about.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:35 pm
well its true.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually stereotypes do exist for a reason, and that reason is to be broken IMO.

in the future well all be one color, and probably have a form of singular consciousness anyways.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:36 pm
Are you from Gaia, Ogionik?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:40 pm
i dont know what your referring to but no.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 05:18 pm
Mame wrote:
And Canadians in the far north don't necessarily drink any more than any one else. ......Please try to restrict your conversation to things you might actually know about.

Quote:
So who are BC's biggest drinkers? You might think it would be people in major centres, such as Vancouver or Victoria. But, in fact, south coasters tend to tipple less than their northern neighbours. "In northern BC we see higher consumption than in the rest of the province," observes Stockwell.

http://communications.uvic.ca/edge/stockwell.html

Quote:
The Northwest Territories has the highest alcohol consumption rate in Canada (133.8 percent of the Canadian average).6

The Yukon also has a very high alcohol consumption rate (119 percent of the Canadian average
http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/rs/rep-rap/2003/rr03_la15-rr03_aj15/p3.html

You were saying??...... as for the rest, do your own research....it is not my job.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:43 pm
lol i love facts and statistics.

they always win...
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 03:34 am
[quote="CalamityJane"]Where I come from, kids can have a sip of beer from their parents glass. The official drinking age is 18, but no one would object if a teen drinks a glass of beer. We grow up with alcohol around us and there is hardly any abuse of it.[/quote]

I guess you are referring to Germany.
Not sure when you left, but binge drinking has become a major problem in recent years here, too.
Because of this, patrol stations are not allowed to sell alcohol any more at night (a stupid law, if you ask me!) and some town banned publick drinking in areas around clubs.

I personally love the fact that I can go to a pub in the morning, have a cider and nobody judges me for it.
Not in Germany, unfortunately!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:29 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Mame wrote:
And Canadians in the far north don't necessarily drink any more than any one else. ......Please try to restrict your conversation to things you might actually know about.

Quote:
So who are BC's biggest drinkers? You might think it would be people in major centres, such as Vancouver or Victoria. But, in fact, south coasters tend to tipple less than their northern neighbours. "In northern BC we see higher consumption than in the rest of the province," observes Stockwell.

http://communications.uvic.ca/edge/stockwell.html

Quote:
The Northwest Territories has the highest alcohol consumption rate in Canada (133.8 percent of the Canadian average).6

The Yukon also has a very high alcohol consumption rate (119 percent of the Canadian average
http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/rs/rep-rap/2003/rr03_la15-rr03_aj15/p3.html

You were saying??...... as for the rest, do your own research....it is not my job.

The Natives don't drink because it's harsh and dreary in the North. They drink because we gave it to them, they can't process the alcohol the way we can, and they became addicted. There are a multitude of other factors that come into it, as well.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 09:29 am
Another thing about Canadians: they love waffles.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:16 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Where I come from, kids can have a sip of beer from their parents
glass. The official drinking age is 18, but no one would object if a teen
drinks a glass of beer. We grow up with alcohol around us and there is hardly any abuse of it.

Here in the United States there cannot be alcohol sold when kids are present (other than in restaurants). On public street fairs I've seen a separate tent
for adults only who want to drink a beer - no kids allowed. No teen is allowed to drink alcohol under the age of 21 (officially), yet there are more teen
drunk drivers out there than I care to know.

I always believe that children should grow up WITH us, not being protected
BY us from everything that's around them.

I always thought learning about drunk driving when all you have is a bicycle was a good idea.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:16 pm
i think im going to become an alcoholic.

woot.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 02:16 am
hawkeye10 wrote:

People who live in the far north be it the America's, Europe, or Siberia tend to drink a lot, this is not news. Civilization that far North would not function with out the aid of alcohol, nature is too harsh and dreary.

This had me laughing out loud. Laughing

I thought referring to "the far North" as "too harsh and dreary" was only done in history books nowadays. Quoting the first Europeans who came here and looked upon it as though open space was "nothing".

It's a throw back, that's for sure.

As for drinking in the morning, it's not taboo where I come from! Then again, there is a lot of alcoholism there.

Taking some vodka in your orange juice, or beer with your lunch, isn't looked upon as weird at all.

And even though I very rarely drink, and absolutely hate when people overindulge or having to deal with heavy drinkers - I don't think there is anything wrong with those who don't have anything else to that requires being sober that day from taking a drink in the morning.

That's the thing about morning drinking to me though. There are those who think "one or two drinks doesn't do anything to me" and I think they are full of ****. Drinking even one gives some effect - and you shouldn't be driving after a drink period.
You should take it into consideration with the rest of your day...and lots of people don't .

And then the more you drink, the less people tend to take the effect into consideration and say they are fine...and go about their business as if they are sober. While the rest of us see that you aren't - even if you had one drink, one drink is more than none.

I just hate the denial that often goes with drinking. I think if you are going to be taking even one drink - you should take it into consideration with the rest you are doing.

A drink in the morning on your day off, or on vacation - go for it. Just don't drive.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:04 pm
lol i was doin like 90 after a bottle of patron, good effing game thats not smart. especially on a bike LOL!
0 Replies

Coaldust27

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 06:46 am
I don't understand the need to prohibited what time you can purchase alcohol. If this was a perfect world and everyone worked the same schedule mayhap this would be acceptable. Unfortunately I work nights and if I have I day off (never known before hand. "Plant life") I'm punished by socal norm and have to wait hours before I can purchase alcohol. I don't drink if I have work the next day. So I'm supposed to just but alcohol ahead of time in preparation. This makes me feel like I have a problem which is fucked up because if I was on days this thought never would have occurred due to socal norms
0 Replies