why is drinking early considered bad?

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:15 pm
this is something i never understood but i can guess but im not sure.

it make su look like a loser with no life.

and then

u crash in the evening after its wearing off.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,267 • Replies: 33
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:55 pm
Up till two generations ago the three martini lunch was a sought after career perk. up till a generation ago the Bloody Mary breakfast on days off was common. Up till two generations ago brewery workers consumed beer at work, as the norm.

I think early day drinking has become less socially acceptable because fewer people drink responsibly. Early drinking thus becomes a sign that the person doing it has a drinking problem. For sure the Anti alcohol do gooder scum continually pound that point home. If you drink early or drink alone you must be an alcoholic according to them.

Needless to say, just as I light up a cigar now and then in part to piss off the anti tobacco crusaders , I still make sure to enjoy my breakfast cocktails. I try not to miss opportunities to shout out a "F*UCK YOU!" towards the riffraff who insist that they know better than I how I should live my life. I highly recommend the practice.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 12:59 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Up till two generations ago the three martini lunch was a sought after career perk. up till a generation ago the Bloody Mary breakfast on days off was common. Up till two generations ago brewery workers consumed beer at work, as the norm.

I think early day drinking has become less socially acceptable because fewer people drink responsibly. Early drinking thus becomes a sign that the person doing it has a drinking problem. For sure the Anti alcohol do gooder scum continually pound that point home. If you drink early or drink alone you must be an alcoholic according to them.

Needless to say, just as I light up a cigar now and then in part to piss off the anti tobacco crusaders , I still make sure to enjoy my breakfast cocktails. I try not to miss opportunities to shout out "F*UCK YOU!" to the riffraff who insist that they know better than I how I should live my life. I highly recommend the practice.

well sweetheart opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one. It's obvious you have had your little eye opener.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 01:30 pm
I agree...... with Hawkeye.

Just because I like the taste of something alcoholic and I choose to drink it in the early afternoon, or have it with my luch BECAUSE I LIKE IT..

or if I choose to have something with alcohol for the felling of the drink in the afternoon does not make me an alcoholic.

Social rules change for everything .
I dont obey many social rules.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 01:49 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:

The young people I know (ages 20 - 35) drink and smoke less than my generation did at those ages. In my last camp, only one young man (age 25) of 9 smoked. Last year, I worked with 5 young kids (age 20 - 25) and they maybe drank 6 beers combined in 6 weeks. Both of my kids (ages 25 and 30) and their partners drink less than I do, and I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic whatever time I have a glass of wine.

The faculty at the geology department have continually out-consumed the students at field school every single year for the past 10 years.

Just my experience.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 01:50 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

I dont obey many social rules.

Surprise! Surprise! Laughing One of the reasons I like you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:07 pm
Mame wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

The young people I know (ages 20 - 35) drink and smoke less than my generation did at those ages. In my last camp, only one young man (age 25) of 9 smoked. Last year, I worked with 5 young kids (age 20 - 25) and they maybe drank 6 beers combined in 6 weeks. Both of my kids (ages 25 and 30) and their partners drink less than I do, and I wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic whatever time I have a glass of wine.

The faculty at the geology department have continually out-consumed the students at field school every single year for the past 10 years.

Just my experience.

I don't know about the general numbers, however it is clear that binge drinking is an increasing problem in the US just as it is in the UK. The ability to drink responsibly is down among those who drink, that is the problem, not overall consumption rates. It is assumed that those who drink early or drink alone are at least on the way to becoming binge drinkers. Thus the practice must be socially unacceptable.

My point is that i am not my stupid peers. Just as I did drugs (pot, hash, acid, coke) for years and never regretted a moment of it because I was responsible, I have always been a drinker, and I have no regrets. It works for me.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:41 pm
i bought a bottle of jack and coke, heh it was like 10 a.m.

but it was the small bottle and i only took 2 shots then i drank the coke for a bit.

i just sorta felt like an alchy but then i dont drink alot so i was just wondering why the hll drinking early would be like a taboo, it felt.. well just fine.

went perfect with lunch, philly cheese steak damn thats bomb.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:41 pm
What exactly is 'binge' drinking?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 02:43 pm
i wish everyone were responsible.

with drugs especially, pets too. kids most of all.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:05 pm
Mame wrote:

I think that there is a standard def that has to do with number of drinks in a short time frame, but basically it is slamming alcohol with the purpose of getting drunk. Frequent Binge drinking will quickly ruin ones health because tolerance sets in a huge quantities need to be taken to get the desired effect, so normally binge drinkers don't drink but for a few numbers of days a month. but when they do drink they get hammered.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:18 pm
Mame wrote:

A Canadian asking that question is like Michaelangelo asking "What is a paintbrush?"
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:25 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
I light up a cigar now and then in part to piss off the anti tobacco crusaders , I still make sure to enjoy my breakfast cocktails.

I don't care if you choose to make yourself stink first thing in the morning, but for God's sake stay off the roads after your breakfast snort.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:33 pm
Where I come from, kids can have a sip of beer from their parents
glass. The official drinking age is 18, but no one would object if a teen
drinks a glass of beer. We grow up with alcohol around us and there is hardly any abuse of it.

Here in the United States there cannot be alcohol sold when kids are present (other than in restaurants). On public street fairs I've seen a separate tent
for adults only who want to drink a beer - no kids allowed. No teen is allowed to drink alcohol under the age of 21 (officially), yet there are more teen
drunk drivers out there than I care to know.

I always believe that children should grow up WITH us, not being protected
BY us from everything that's around them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:34 pm
Hmm, as a traveler in Italy (and I presume this goes on elsewhere), I would get up early to start the day of a lot of walking and seeing places by stopping at the local bar/caffe for my morning latte and dolci. There would be workers there before 6 a.m. having a shot of grappa, or a "corrected" espresso.. before a day of hod-carrying or whatever. Eh! Some of them seemed pretty old and healthy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:38 pm
Just saw CJane's post: I vehemently agree. Binge drinking, et al, is a cultural construct. (Yes, I know about the genetics. I'm just talking in general.)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:48 pm
Chai wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
I light up a cigar now and then in part to piss off the anti tobacco crusaders , I still make sure to enjoy my breakfast cocktails.

I don't care if you choose to make yourself stink first thing in the morning, but for God's sake stay off the roads after your breakfast snort.

I have not been stupid enough to dive drunk since my collage days, though it would take a few to get me to the legal def of drunk. The point is that a drink or two hurts no one, and they can be very enjoyable.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:53 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mame wrote:

A Canadian asking that question is like Michaelangelo asking "What is a paintbrush?"

Yeah, sorry... we Canadians are always falling over drunk whether we be on ice skating rinks, running around in our dog sleds, hunting moose, making beaver tail hats, cleaning our igloos. I plum forgot.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:57 pm
Mame wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mame wrote:

Yeah, sorry... we Canadians are always falling over drunk whether we be on ice skating rinks, running around in our dog sleds, hunting moose, making beaver tail hats, cleaning our igloos. I plum forgot.

People who live in the far north be it the America's, Europe, or Siberia tend to drink a lot, this is not news. Civilization that far North would not function with out the aid of alcohol, nature is too harsh and dreary.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:17 pm
Mame wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mame wrote:

that was quite hilarious.
0 Replies