Dean Kamen, Creator of Segway, Unveils New Invention

Ragman

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:21 am
From my perspective, the news just doesn't get any better than this story. THIS is my nomination for Man of the Year ...maybe Man of the Decade:

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/22574/Dean-Kamen-Creator-of-Segway-Unveils-New-Invention?tickers=

In case this link to Yahoo News goes stale, here's an excerpt:

"Dean Kamen, Creator of Segway, Unveils New Invention"

"Famed inventor Dean Kamen is back in front among the tech elite this week with a new invention. The last time we heard from Kamen, he was unveiling the Segway, a product he hoped would revolutionize human transportation, and solve problems like pollution and urban congestion. But unlike the Segway, Kamen hopes his new product never reaches a mass market.

It's a prosthetic arm that weighs as much as a human arm. It boasts the same range of motion, and the same tactile sensitivity. When the government called on him two years ago to build it, even Kamen wasn't sure his team could build it. In this video he tells us about the experience, what it meant for his career, and what he learned from the Segway experience."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,212 • Replies: 16
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 12:56 pm
Might be handy for all those people who smashed up their own arms falling off his previous contraption, which I feel is a $5000 solution for a problem which doesn't exist.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:08 pm
You gotta love the French.

Not.

This is a wonderful invention that will help the entire world, not just the soldiers the government obviously wants to help.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:12 pm
Wow......................
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:21 pm
Since the government hired Kamen to develop the prosthesis, why all the complaining?

Admittedly this won't be widely used, but it could well lead to a prosthesis for legs. That's usually the way other inventions evolve.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:23 pm
because he has created something modern society shuns and does not believe is possible.

A human robot..

( so to speak!)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 01:23 pm
Ragman, you nominate him and I'll vote for him. What a guy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 02:20 pm
I admire Kamen very very much. He's done so much for mankind.

His forte are medical devices, and I think he should stick to that.

He's the inventor of the stent, a portable dialysis machine, a wheelchair with a built in gyroscope that cannot be tipped over.

Not to single one invention out, but that wheelchair is remarkable. It goes over sandy beaches, up and down stairs, gravel, you name it.

While sitting in the wheelchair, you can make it rise up on one end, and you will be eye level with the person you're talking to. Imagine what that means to someone who is always in a sitting position. Not only that, but when in that position, you can push on the person, and they don't fall over.

I watched a video about it, and a young woman who'd been in a wheelchair for years tried it. She rose up, and suddenly, she was eye to eye with her mother. They both started to cry, and so did I.

Here's a commercial for the IBOT

In fact, it bothers me that he is mostly known by the public for that segway.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:46 pm
Amazing!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:11 am
cjhsa wrote:
You gotta love the French.

Who's French? My location is in France, but I'm British, as I have explained to you personally more than once. So can the xenophobia.

And where did I say the artificial arm was a bad thing?

PS The guy didn't invent stents.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 06:39 am
I think his next invention should be a rifle for the French that cannot be dropped. Laughing
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:03 am
One word. Kasserine.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:11 am
Inventor: Dean L. Kamen

Criteria: First to invent. First to patent. First practical. Entrepreneur.
Birth: April 5, 1951 in Rockville Centre, New York

Nationality: American

Dean Kamen, born 1951, is an inventor, an entrepreneur and a tireless advocate for science and technology. His roles as inventor and advocate are intertwined -- his own passion for technology and its practical uses has driven his personal determination to spread the word about technology's virtues and by so doing to change the culture of the United States.
Dean's vast knowledge of the physical sciences, combined with his ability to integrate the fundamental laws of physics with the most modern technologies, has led to the development of breakthrough processes and products.

As an inventor, Dean holds more than 440 U.S. and foreign patents, many of them for innovative medical devices that have expanded the frontiers of health care worldwide. While still a college undergraduate, he invented the first wearable infusion pump, which rapidly gained acceptance from such diverse medical specialties as chemotherapy, neonatology and endocrinology. In 1976 he founded his first medical device company, AutoSyringe, Inc., to manufacture and market the pumps. At age 30, he sold that company to Baxter International Corporation. By then, he had added a number of other infusion devices, including the first insulin pump for diabetics. Following the sale of AutoSyringe, Inc., he founded DEKA Research & Development Corporation to develop internally generated inventions as well as to provide R&D for major corporate clients. Dean's more recent inventions include: the HomeChoice™ dialysis machine, developed for Baxter (Design News' 1993 Medical Product of the Year), the Crown Stent designed for Johnson & Johnson, and the latest invention, the Independence™ 3000 IBOT™ Transporter, also developed for Johnson & Johnson. The IBOT, a personal transporter that was developed for the disabled community was unveiled in 1999. It can climb stairs, traverse sandy and rocky terrain and raise its user to eye-level with a standing person. All three of these products represent extraordinarily innovative responses to extraordinarily daunting challenges.

In 1989, Dean founded FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology), and ever since has remained its driving force, its guiding spirit, and, in the eyes of thousands of students across the country, its personal embodiment. FIRST uses wholesale marketing and media techniques to motivate the next generation to want to learn about science and technology.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 07:37 am
Quote:
should get the Noble prize.

A nobel sentiment indeed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 05:24 pm
As I said, you just want to quibble.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:01 pm
Shocked Shocked

I just realized who gustav ratzenhofer is.....

Dean Kamen!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:08 pm
soapbox alert:

Often times I'm in awe (not always positively) of how and when on A2K a debate springs up on a thread. Never could I EVER imagine a debate over Kamen's qualifications as a humanitarian and clever inventor. He is a renaissance man with amazing contributions to society.

to think otherwise is to be in denial
0 Replies