SURVIVOR 7 - PEARL ISLANDS

Roberta

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 05:25 pm
Sofia, The interesting aspect of these shows is the human dynamics. Your evaluation is tres interesting and might be right.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 06:15 pm
Hi Roberta!

The psycho-social stuff is what draws me.
Studying the human condition... figuring out motivations, reactions, ...

I have noticed a sort of latent bias against the black members on most of the previous shows. And, they are mostly 'looks oriented', as well.

We'll have to commiserate on our observations... Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:58 pm
Nudity, deliberate or otherwise, had been a part of the show since Richard strolled down the beach in the first season. (yes . it is my shame. I've watched nearly every minute of every show. Rooting for the good people to defeat the con artists, gnashing my teeth at every defeat.)

The dash in the nude might have cost the team the win. Naked, you tend to hesitate just a little more in case sumpin' might be sticking out to getcha..........

The bias against black people is more blatant than latent, but I had to agree on the last show re: the woman who kept shrieking about Jesus and who didn't want the idol in the campground because it would bring bad luck..... was she a Christian or an idol worshipper> figure it out..
Then on the final show she does an interview and she's like normal as the folks next door. Rolling Eyes

The contestants are under a LOT of stress and they are not going to act like themselves, but still -- get a grip.

Osten, I think, didn't think it was going to be as hard as it is. His team is not winning anything. It's wet, and sticky and buggy and the food situation at the camp seems to be nonexistent. No clothes?
Okay, barter for some, get what you need--- he hasn't done that. We'll see if he is really ready to go this week.

I'm going to go vote.

Joe
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 12:47 pm
Cultural bias seems to be a constant. Remember the Asian woman who was viewed as strange because she ate parts of a chicken that other people were unaccustomed to eating? Or the Asian man who was accused of stealing food? But there was an African American woman who managed to win. I think.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 12:54 pm
Roberta wrote:
Cultural bias seems to be a constant. Remember the Asian woman who was viewed as strange because she ate parts of a chicken that other people were unaccustomed to eating? Or the Asian man who was accused of stealing food? But there was an African American woman who managed to win. I think.

The Asian bias has almost been worse! They were evil to that woman, because of what she ate. And, was it Kel, who was ceremoniously dumped because of theft WHEN HE WAS INNOCENT!!! These things, and the black guy--who was treated worse than anybody (OK, he did 'steal' community food, but I hated how they treated him afterwards.) It was embarrassing! Somebody should parachute into these camps and tell people how awful they are, when they hurt or mistreat other people.

(Rant over....phew!)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 02:46 pm
You're right, Sofia. Ignorance ain't always bliss.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:29 am
Isn't that part of our fun? Watching the program and feeling we could do a better job at (name one) building a shelter, finding and making food, untying knots in the challenges, etc. AND knowing that we would make wonderful, interacting alliances with people.

The money changes the dynamic. IF Survivor was about survival (the team with the most living members after 45 days wins a trip back to your old job and spouse) it would be reality.

Joe
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:16 pm
I dont think I could have done a better job hanging from the tripod for hours on end...nor could I have done a better job holding the other end of the line.

Im good with what I cant/wont do...I really like watching someone else try it, just for you know...scientific purposes.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:36 pm
agreed - I have to watch it yet - been a busy few days
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:00 am
Hi Joe, I watch Survivor and never think that I could do better. Never. I couldn't do anything. And I would overtly dislike most people. I would complain constantly. And I'm terrible at lying. I don't like to play games with people. I would be the worst player in Survivor history. I would probably be voted off without a tribal council.

Without the boyscout lady, will they be able to start fires?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:54 am
desperate times call for desperate measures..they'll probably all cuddle for warmth now Wink
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:41 am
Is that the truth, Roberta? That you wouldn't be able to do anything? I doubt it. And who knows? Maybe your tribe would be inspired by your no games playing and your overt dislike for people and elect you leader.!

or cook you over an open fire and eat you by the light of the moon.

===
"Come on in guys. Okay, today's challenge is...wait a minute? Aren't you missing someone?"
TRIBE: "Who us? No."
"Where's whatshername, Roberta?"
TRIBE: "Roberta? We don't know no Roberta."
"What about this tape that shows Roberta going into the jungle with your tribe and then later, not being there during the big feast?"
TRIBE: mumbles "Oh, she was there alright."
"What?"
TRIBE: "Uh, we said she was there all night, but now....." (Shrugs. Yes, it's a group shrug for Roberta.)
"What the hell she was kind of a whiner..... Okay, today's challenge pits brains against brawn....."
Laughing
:::::::
Part of this game is about heart. I knew the moment I saw it was going to be Rufus against Osten that Rufus would win. He's the guy with heart.
After one of his tribemates lost the spearpoint in the ocean he didn't sit down and weep, he didn't berate the loser, (well, okay just a little) what he did do was go out into the water and look for the spearpoint until he found it. That's heart. That seems to be the difference in the tribes this time too. They have the heart to keep going and have come from behind two or three times to win. One never knows about the dynamic of a team, how they will play at the critical moment, a lesson the Boston Red Sox are learning again this season. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:02 pm
Joe, LOL. Okay, there may be some challenges I could manage--those requiring some mental ability. My inability to lie well and my distaste for game-playing were real problems in my corporate career.

As for heart, you hit the nail on the head. It often makes the difference in this game. It's the element that separates good athletes from great ones. Rupert has it in spades. When the tribes converge, he may be a goner. He's too much of a threat.

Quinn, Huddling for warmth. It could work. I just wonder how those folk smell by now. Well, I guess if they all have the same pungent aroma, it won't matter.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 10:14 pm
Hey, guys. I was out. Who got booted?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 06:50 am
Och, Roberta!! Unusual machinations in Drake!
They threw the immunity competition, convincing some they wanted to get rid if the blond girl with the odd voice. Burton approached Rupert about doing this. Rupert acts agreeable, and then tells the camera he is furious at Burton for plotting against his troop--so Rupert divulges said convo--and they do throw the competition, but bounce Burton!!!

Meanwhile, since Morgan won the competition--they get to choose a member of Drake to go with them for a couple of days--they choose Rupert!

Meanwhile, you know that curly headed blond guy in Drake? He is a psycho. He is acting like a serious head case, who has just run out of medication.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:25 am
Sophia: You have written a perfect review of the action, especially the nutso blond guy.

You left out that Drake found their buried treasure chest but that it had leaked and that the blankets, netting etc were a bit moldy. (So they couldn't wash them in the sea.?) There was a bit of chocolate. That was good.

This show seems a bit flat to me thus far. I think the switching Rufus (he's only with them through the next challenge) is the most interesting twist thus far. Does he play to win on that next challenge? Shocked
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:29 am
The blonde guys gotta go before he completely wigs out or spends his days and nights in a drunken haze not remembering where he buried the bodies.

Rupert at the other tribe does seem interesting.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:32 am
I was pondering that same thing, Joe.
Rupert is probably the most gung-ho about team allegience.(sp?) He may gather all sorts of info about Morgan, and also throw the next competition to benefit Drake.

I must say I have felt terrible for Morgan.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:36 am
Drake was soooooooooo STUPID!!!! I think you really have to admire Rupert some!!! He's so husker!!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 01:43 pm
Thanks for the rundown. I was wondering if Drake might get around to throwing a competition to get rid of someone. I thought that the curly-haired blond guy would be the intended target.

If Rupert tells the Morgan tribe that Drake threw the competition, it could do a lot to lower their already low group self-esteem.

Interesting about the borrowed tribe member. I wonder what's really going on with this.
0 Replies