How to make American Higher Education a laughingstock

Italgato

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:01 am
Sneer? Professor Hobibit Sneer? I wouldn't dare to compete with you. You have perfected the sneer technique. I admire your devotion to your family, I think it is admirable. I am happy that you were chosen by so many fine Universities, however, you really must take the US News and World Report Rankings seriously. The Universities, I assure you, do take them seriously.

I must really point out to you that "Freedom of thought" is not, as you seem to think, only freedom for leftist political thought, it means freedom for political thought on the right, yet I can point out many many posts by you where you do not even deign to discuss conservative political thought, rather you indulge in what you charge me with- sneering.

I do hope that your committee at Colorado will be more helpful than mine was at Chicago.

You may be aware that there is always movement among Professors- to this school and to that school.

My committee had to be re-constituted twice in a year and a half. Then my money ran out.

That was ten years ago. I am happy in my import-export business.

Conservative beliefs do help my business, as liberal ones may help in yours.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:08 am
"When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung." - Henry Ward Beecher
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 03:02 am
perception wrote:
Tartarin

Since you are intimately familar with the goings-on at Harvard and I am not, perhaps you would like to deal with the question I posed to Italgato.

Perhaps you believe that ethics is something only liberals possess or perhaps you believe it is something that is pounded into the "blank slate" by the environment at age three.

What ever your belief perhaps you would dazzle us with it and tell if Harvard teaches it or has any responsiblity to instill it.

After all this thread is about the future of education.

Copnservatives certainly don't have any. They wouldn't know ethics if it smacked them in the middle of the face.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:37 am
Welcome, Ye110man! Back a ways, they used to be known as "young fogies." You'll find plenty here -- and older ones too. And pettifoggery....
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:48 pm
This is Horowitz little watchdog group. Tres scary!
Freedom is conformity, you WILL be assimilated!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 08:36 am
Somehow, when the conservatives use the word "freedom," it sends chills up my spine. Confused
CU Denver Advocate article

Another Advocate article
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 01:46 am
Professor Hobobit ignores what has happened on American Campuses:

I am quite sure that he doesn't know the following:
( And it wasn't done by Conservatives but rather, the politically correct left wing)

The majority of schools required either a thesis or a comprehensive examination before they issued degrees to thier students.

Now, only ONE in eight has the requirement for graduation.

Here are some of the GREAT courses given at Yale( of all places)

Redesigning the Family: Challenges from Lesbians/Gay Men

Intermediate Yoruba

Women's History: Methodological and Comparative Inquiry

AIDS in society

Affirmative Action and Civil Rights in the Labor Market

Troubadors and Rock Stars- A comparison.

This kind of garbage is being offered in place of Shkespeare and courses on Western Civilization.

Are there any Universities that are holding out?

Yes

Columbia college in New York has dared to require the following courses.

Literature Humanities( two terms)

Contemporary Civilization( Two terms)

Art Humanities ( oneterm)

Music Humanities ( one term)

Logic and Rhetoric ( one term)

Science (three terms)

Foreign Language ( four terms)

Major Cultures ( two terms)

and what else is happening in higher education under the control of the multi-cultural politically correct crowd?

Grade Inflation-

Professor Harvey Mansfield has opined that, at his school at least( Harvasrd) grade inflation has set in because most professors do not dare to give low or failing grades to an ever increasing group of minority students( most of whom are not prepared for rigorous work) so they give them B's. And, of course, must give the other students A's which they don't always deserve.

Mansfield has taken to giving out two grades. One, he explains, is the one that goes on the transcript. The other one is the grade a student would have gotten if they were getting grade truly in relation to thier output.

Years ago, a B was generally won students Cum Laude Honors. The typical student he 1950's for example, was lucky to have a C+ OR B- average.

Now, the average student receives a 3.15 GPA out of 4.0.

What idiocy!!!

The SAT has also been tampered with. The SAT scoring system has been recentered so that the verbal scores move up by over 70 points to 500.

As the Stanford radical students, led by that great scholar, Jesse Jackson, chanted:

Hey, Hey, Ho, Ho, Western Culture's got to go

What stupidities laid down by the left wing Educational Establishment!!!
0 Replies