How to make American Higher Education a laughingstock

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:27 pm
It wasn't that long ago where many in this world thought Alan Greenspan was the most powerful man in this world. We were all wrong!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:24 pm
The comments from both Itkitty and Percy have demonstrated precisely the sort of right wing rhetoric that Colorado's (Texan) governor would like to see in the classroom. Those same comments also make me wonder if either has set foot in a college classroom in the last twenty years (at least)? It would seem that they think that all classes are, and should be, political rallies, where actual education flies out the window. Now, in my years in higher ed (1985-89 for my first BS, 1995-99 2d BA, 1999-2003 MA, and 2003-on as both teacher and student) I have never seen such an occurrance. Has anyone on this board, most of whom are older and more experienced than I am, ever encountered such a situation? The only place where I can begin to imagine such an occurance might be at the Ivies in the sixties. Tartarin, did such a thing ever occur?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:35 pm
I doubt any professor advocating their politics in any class would survive the onslaught from the students.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:44 pm
Well, no...any effort to take the instructor off topic will be tried. Some have tried politics with me, which often leads to a discussion of the political systems in use in the time we are discussing. The only surefire way to get me off topic is to bring up 80's new wave. Smile
I have also done my share of trying to boost professors off topic. Wink
0 Replies

unknown man

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:44 pm
As I've learned, high school students can be very oppinionated about politics, but unfortunatly they get their ideas from there parents, and not enough think for them selves.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 06:00 pm
Unknown... allow me to indoctrinate you:
You want to go to CU Boulder...you want to go to CU Boulder....
Very Happy
0 Replies

unknown man

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 06:04 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Unknown... allow me to indoctrinate you:
You want to go to CU Boulder...you want to go to CU Boulder....
Very Happy

Thanks, but I have different plans goin on.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:24 pm
OOps, why did I worry? The tighty-righties don't intend for ANYONE to go to college, or even finish school! MadFunding for Ed Fails
Quote:

Democrats Fail to Boost School Funding

By BEN FELLER
AP Education Writer

September 9, 2003, 9:36 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Senate Democrats failed Tuesday in an effort to add billions of dollars for public schools and accused Republicans of breaking the deal that sealed bipartisan support for a tough education law.

The debate came as the Senate worked on a spending bill for labor, health, human services and education for the next budget year. Democrats want to set aside more money than President Bush and GOP congressional leaders have proposed for poor schools, early education and college aid, among other areas.

Meanwhile, the House on Tuesday approved a $10 million private-school voucher plan for at least 1,300 poor students in the District of Columbia. The program would be the first federally funded voucher plan, and the Senate is expected to consider a similar experiment for the nation's capital soon.

The House, which voted 205-203 Friday to include the vouchers in the city's budget proposal, reaffirmed that decision Tuesday in an even closer, 209-208, vote. House members then approved the budget, 210-206.

In the Senate debate, a measure offered by Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.V., would spend $18.5 billion on Title I, which provides aid to poor children and helps more than 90 percent of the nation's school districts. Bush and the Senate have proposed more than $6 billion less -- $12.35 billion for the budget year beginning next month.

Democrats said Bush promised the higher figure in No Child Left Behind, the landmark education law that demands higher performance from students and teachers, particularly in low-achieving, poor districts.

"What happened to his commitment to education?" Byrd said. "I tell you what happened. Once the president signed the No Child Left Behind act, and the cameras stopped rolling, and the sound bytes faded away, the president walked away from the job of funding education."

Republican leaders say they're putting more federal money into education than ever, fueled by increases during Bush's term, and that future-year spending levels for programs such as Title I were caps, not promises.

Byrd's amendment failed, 51-44.

Bush told a crowd at a Florida elementary school Tuesday that with his latest spending plan, Title I money is on pace to have increased 41 percent since he became president.

"We're putting money behind what we said we would do," said Bush, who has devoted time over the last few days to his education spending record and the law's demands for greater accountability and achievement.

The Senate rejected a measure by Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., to increase college aid to students by $2.2 billion, and turned away another by Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., to add $350 million for Head Start, the federal preschool program for the poor.

Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

Apparently only kids whose parents can afford private schooling deserve an education? Confused

•
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:37 pm
hobit, Your post only confirms what I've known all along. This president is a two-faced coward that has taken away benefits for our veterans, and have stolen our children's educational opportunities. "Leave no child behind" is worthless to this country's children. When will the citizens of this country wake up from its hibernation?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:41 pm
"Leave no wealthy white upper class well connected child whose parents are members of Bush's "Pioneers Club" behind"? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:44 pm
Yeah, and they all have jobs waiting for them at Halliburton and Bechtel when they get their sheepskins.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:33 am
mark
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 03:04 am
Where is your professorship, dear professor Hobobit?

Colorado?

Could it be that you "have never seen such an occurance" because your University is not listed among the top seventy five ( US News and World Report)

What occurances are you talking about?

That professors do not try to co-opt students into thinking that the political ideologies that they( the professors ) believe in?

Why not aske Professor Harvey Mansfield of Harvard if that ever occurs.

Or Harold Bloom at Yale.

Or, now listen carefully professor, Noam Chomsky at MIT.

Or the late Stephen Jay Gould at Harvard

or the William B. Shockley at Harvard.

No- Professor, these people would never ever try to indoctrinate people with their ideas.

And, of course, their ideas were not political.

NO, of course not.

Shockley's claim that genetic factors played an important role in the differences of IQ between races could never be used Politically--of course not.

And, of course, as everyone knows, Noam Chomsky has absolutely no interest in Politics and would never infuse it into his teaching. Of course not.

And Mansfield? Why he would never insert his ideas that the large cities in America are decaying largely because of the "underclass" in those cities.

Oh no. And of ourse, those ideas could never be used politically.

I think you should take a sabbatical to visit some of the leading Universities Professor, I think you would be suprised at the proslytism you would find
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 03:12 am
Deart Professor:

Is that all? You have only a BA, MS and MA?

Are you a ABD?

I am an ABD- University of Chicago.

But I have a BA and Three MA's.

And, yes, I have seen and heard political proslytizing in the classroom.

Perhaps you don't know subtlety when you hear it.

The only classes at the U. of C. that do not present, at the very least, a subliminal political message, are the Sciences.

In History and Sociology you have to wade knee deep through left-wing political ideology in the large majority of classes.

Is that a revelation for you?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 03:36 am
If you seek praise and o'erflowing A's
whatever they teaches, make it your thesis.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:05 am
Yup, ittykitty, I'm a PhD candidate at CU Boulder. I'm an Adjunct at CU Denver. I'm happy you are at UC. I'm happy you are in Chicago. I'm sad you are such a slave to the far right that you detest any inkling of freedom of thought. What you see as "leftist political thought," most of the rest of us see as intellectual freedom.
BTW, I have no idea what Colorado's ranking is, those rankings are more for anxious parents of undergrads. It you really have done graduate work, you would realize that the school itself is less imprtant that these whom one studies with. Didn't even apply to Harvard, there is no one there in my field. Hopkins has just one, etc... Came here becasue there are people in my field in several departments, who form my comittee, and because I am helping take care of my brother in law (the one to the right of Mussolini) who has advanced stage MS. So once again I am displaying traits that probably don't make sense to the far right: I am making personal sacrifices for others instead of pursuing solely my own desires. I turned down UPenn, UC SantaBarbara, Notre Dame,Catholic, and Indiana, all of which have more prestige than CU Boulder because my family is far more important to me than my career. Sneer all you want.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:30 am
Italgato wrote:
The only classes at the U. of C. that do not present, at the very least, a subliminal political message, are the Sciences.

Ah yes, the Economics Dept. at the Univ. of Chicago. A hotbed of unabashed liberalism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:37 am
Ah, where's Tailgunner Joe when we need him? He'd get rid of all those dirty pinkos in the unversities in short order . . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:41 am
Setanta wrote:
Ah, where's Tailgunner Joe when we need him? He'd get rid of all those dirty pinkos in the unversities in short order . . .

He's been reborn as Gov. Owens in Colorado.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:43 am
Does he have a laundry list to wave around? I could send him one . . .
0 Replies