The Joe Horn Case: Murder or Not?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 08:19 am
nimh ( and others posting here) have the same take as mine. If he doesn't get indicted I will be outraged (but not all that surprised, in a state that would make such ridiculous laws).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 08:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
nimh ( and others posting here) have the same take as mine. If he doesn't get indicted I will be outraged (but not all that surprised, in a state that would make such ridiculous laws).

ditto.

There is no resasonable doubt.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 09:41 am
Confused Not your best work, nimh. Odd that you would take what I write so far out of context in an attempt to prove your point. Maybe you just missed that most of what you quoted came in response to Deb's:
Deb wrote:
Had the deceased attempted to enter his home, you might have a point.

Treespassing is likely not properly punished by death, either.

This is what I had responded to.

Your selective reading is rather out of character as well.
nimh wrote:
Moreover, you can read this in the transcript. He never once said anything, not a word, about feeling that either he, his family, or his house was being threatened. He never once uttered a word of fear.
Really?
The transcript writer wrote:
"Hurry up man, catch these guys, will you? 'Cause I'm ain't gonna let 'em go, I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm not gonna let 'em go. I'm not gonna let 'em get away with this ----."

Shortly after, Horn said he sees one suspect was standing in front of his house, looking at it from the street.

"I don't know if they're armed or not. I know they got a crowbar 'cause that's what they broke the windows with. ... Man, this is scary, I can't believe this is happening in this neighborhood."
That sounds like the rambling of a scared man to me. Sure he wants to be tough and righteous, and probably likes Charley Bronson a bit too much; but that doesn't mean he isn't scared and it sure doesn't prove intent to murder.

You too are making a logical leap to judge the intent by the result.

Let's look at the actual evidence here.

1. Joe called the cops when he saw a crime being committed against his neighbor= The right thing to do.
2. Joe was very agitated by the idea of someone getting away with crime in his neighborhood= Reasonable.
3. Joe chose to go outside of his home, presumably to stop the thieves in their tracks, as evidenced by his command to do so.= Reasonable? At this point, no one has been shot. We know Joe wanted to stop those crooks, but we DON"T KNOW if Joe wanted to kill those crooks. We do know he was prepared to fire if he thought it necessary. (Considering they were obviously criminals and they were on his property at this point, I believe his actions thus far are reasonable under Texas Law.)(Not liking Texas Law, is no excuse to blame Joe).
4. If the plain-clothes cop is to be believed; Joe emerged from his house to find two criminals, on his property carrying his neighbor's belongings. Joe found this unacceptable.= Reasonable
5. Joe gave a warning, "Move and you're dead". Not the best warning I've ever heard, but it was clearly a warning.= Reasonable?
6. One of the two criminals, on Joe's property, ran in Joe's direction, after being warned that deadly force would be used. (According to police. And: This may well be the first time Joe felt truly threatened... but so what. He had at this point done nothing unreasonable).
7. Joe responded by quickly firing his weapon 3 times, killing both criminals. Reasonable? That's the $100,000 question, isn't it.
8. Joe went back in the house and explained what happened.
9. Joe went to the police station and cooperated fully with the investigation.
10. Only after a public outcry, was Joe accused of a crime.

Now, under Texas Law, in these United States, Joe is legally entitled to EVERY benefit of the doubt. He is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

Joe did three questionable things that may or may not be considered criminal, right?
1. He stepped outside of his house, on his own property, to confront two criminals that had just burglarized his neighbor. Texas Law allows for the protection of yourself, your property and your car, so this is not criminal, even if it is stupid.
2. Of the three people on Joe's property at that point; only one had a right to be there. Joe, knowing these two had just victimized his neighbor, was within his rights, under Texas Law, to level his shotgun and warn "Move and you're dead", since these criminal were now on Joe's property.
3. From Joe's perspective, the criminals then ignored his deadly warning and rushed at him! Joe instinctively defended himself by shooting them both, who were now very close to him, on his property.

Is it reasonable to feel threatened by a criminal who just robbed your neighbor, entered your property, ignored your deadly warning, and charged at you? I'd say probably. I think it absurd to be sure that it isn't, beyond a reasonable doubt. It is entirely possible that Joe expected his warning to be heeded and then panicked when the criminal rushed at him. This is possible and reasonable and thereby not criminal under Texas Law nor the Laws of these United States.

Certainty to the contrary is simply not supported by the evidence presented here.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 09:45 am
They should give him a medal of honor and reward him with all the money it would have cost to keep these two dirtbags in prison for the rest of their life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:14 am
cjhsa wrote:
They should give him a medal of honor and reward him with all the money it would have cost to keep these two dirtbags in prison for the rest of their life.

But only after blowing him away with a shotgun.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:22 am
Debra Law wrote:
Joe Horn intentionally or knowingly caused the death of two human beings. I do not believe that his actions were justified. He should have stayed in his own house, which was not being threatened by the burglars, as he was instructed to do by the police dispatcher. The "castle doctrine" is not a license to kill and it was never intended to apply in a situtation such as this one. Joe Horn self-servingly expanded the law to include not only his own home as HIS castle, but everyone else's home in the neighborhood as HIS castle. He used the newly-enacted law as a means to excuse his own blood-thirst. He was adament that he was NOT going to let those criminals in the neighborhood get away--he wanted to shoot them--and he did. I believe that adds up to murder.

What a crock. "He used the newly-enacted law as a means to excuse his own blood-thirst." What is your basis for that assertion?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:22 am
dadpad wrote:
Joe Horn, mr nice guy from the burbs, really had no reason to have a gun. Was he a sporting shooter? probably not if he owned a shotty. Did he own animals that may need to be put down was he a farmer that may need to kill ferral animals or pests? I think not.

The sole reason for this man to have a gun was to threaten people. People who may or may not be engaged in criminal activity.

This mind set that any person is entitled to own a gun "just in case" confounds me.

Another crock. He had no reason to have a gun? If these burglars broke into his house in the middle of the night, and he shot them in his foyer, do you hold the same opinion? Or would they have to be holding guns themselves as they stood in his entry in the middle of the night ... or would that be enough? Must he be a victim in his home because you think he "has no reason to have a gun"?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:40 am
They were charging at him so he shot them in the back?

Hmmm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:42 am
boomerang wrote:
They were charging at him so he shot them in the back?

Hmmm.

His shotgun's barrels are made of rubber. When Joe swung into action, they bent around behind the burglers, causing the apparent discrepancy.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:10 am
Wiki wrote:
Police Capt. A.H. Corbett stated the two men ignored Mr. Horn's order to freeze and one of the suspects ran towards Joe Horn before he angled away from him toward the street when he was shot in the back. Pasadena police confirmed that the two men were shot after they ventured into his front yard. The detective did not arrest Horn.

Retired communications rep instinctually shoots two known criminals after they ignore his order to freeze and attempt to rush him on his property.

Texas Law allows the use of deadly force to protect yourself AND your property.

I wouldn't argue that it was a good shoot, but neither is it obviously murder.

Joe's every action before, during and after the incident demonstrates his belief that he was acting within the law. If this is the case, and it can be demonstrated that Joe is a reasonable, competent man, then the cornerstone requirement of proving "intent" cannot be proven , let alone beyond a reasonable doubt.

I suspect many of you have a problem with Texas Law. Joe Horn isn't responsible for that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:12 am
The left wants to hang this guy who simply shot a couple lowlifes full of lead. Whadya wanna bet he watched his neighborhood go to hell from drugs and gang violence? What he did should have been done long before. Long live Joe Horn. He's a hero.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:14 am
I'm not sure it's murder. I'm just saying you can't shoot a person in the back if they are charging at you because they'd really have to be charging away from you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:17 am
Among the fundamentals this nation supposedly rests upon is due process, not vigilantiism. There is no distinguishment between "low lifes" and the top 2% of society, or anywhere in between.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:22 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Among the fundamentals this nation supposedly rests upon is due process, not vigilantiism. There is no distinguishment between "low lifes" and the top 2% of society, or anywhere in between.

Really? Ever see the old "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs." commercials? Did you not understand them?

"Vigilante" is another term the left likes to throw around. I'm sure they'd say this was "racist vigilante-ism" if Joe wasn't black.

Today I'm whacking wood hole bees with a tennis racket. BEE a vigilante.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:33 am
cjhsa wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Really? Ever see the old "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs." commercials? Did you not understand them?

"Vigilante" is another term the left likes to throw around. I'm sure they'd say this was "racist vigilante-ism" if Joe wasn't black.

Today I'm whacking wood hole bees with a tennis racket. BEE a vigilante.

What's that got to do with my statement? Guess those drugs have affected your brain far more than you realize.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:40 am
Because your statement is wrong. If those two were former convicts, they certainly don't have the same rights under the law as I do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:41 am
cjhsa wrote:
Because your statement is wrong. If those two were former convicts, they certainly don't have the same rights under the law as I do.

You don't know one iota about law principle
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:47 am
BS.

What, for example, can a former convict not do (legally) that I can?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:51 am
cjhsa wrote:
BS.

What, for example, can a former convict not do (legally) that I can?

Not relevant to the discussion.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 12:01 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies