Mom, dad stop the car – call 9-1-1!

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:56 am
Imagine having your young preschooler yell this to you as you are driving down the highway. I immediately turned around and looked at my other daughter - thinking something horrible must be happening to her sister for her to yell this is such a frightening voice. Nothing - she is just sitting there fine, so I immediately look at the preschooler. She has her hand up her shirt and yells, my heart stopped beating call 9-1-1! Well, one thing was for sure, my heart was certainly beating - she nearly gave me a heart attack.

This went on throughout the day, even though I explained that she wouldn't be able to talk if her heart stopped beating and how healthy she was, etc. She had a hard time going to sleep last night because of it. I thought perhaps she was scared because we just found out that a grandparent has cancer with no chance of recovery. Later I found out her sister read her a story of a teenager whose heart stopped beating and was rushed to the hospital and then saved.

How do I convince her that her heart isn't going to stop beating?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,603 • Replies: 29
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:07 am
Both our little ones have times like this.

Sometimes it takes days (or weeks) of talking about it, reassuring, reading anatomy books, listening to heart beats....

Bright kids, especially, have these difficulties. They understand thing intellectually that they are not prepared for emotionally.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:09 am
Oh gosh

Jillian did this the other day

saying she could not poop so I had to take her to the 'mergency doctor room
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:10 am
One of our cats went outside and got lost. This was nearly a year ago, now.

They still worry and cry (usually when its past their bedtimes) about where he his, is he safe, is he scared, is he lonely. The subtext being that they're scared of getting lost.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:45 am
DrewDad wrote:
Both our little ones have times like this.

Sometimes it takes days (or weeks) of talking about it, reassuring, reading anatomy books, listening to heart beats....

Bright kids, especially, have these difficulties. They understand thing intellectually that they are not prepared for emotionally.

Well I guess the bright side is she is a bright child.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:47 am
I did explain to her about how when she visits the doctor and how the doctor listens to her heart and the doctor does that to make sure it is a strong heart. And what has the doctor said? Her answer - that she has a strong hear.

It is amusing in a sense, but I hate how terrified she gets. She will reach under her shirt to make sure she can feel her heart beating.

Like you said - I keep pointing out how healthy she is - when running around playing - see how strong you are, etc.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:15 am
Just explain to her that everyone and everything dies and then has to face an angry God all alone. That should help.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:19 am
I wonder if it would be helpful to teach her how to find her pulse in an easier spot than hand-over-heart -- wrist or neck, for example?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:24 am
sozobe wrote:
I wonder if it would be helpful to teach her how to find her pulse in an easier spot than hand-over-heart -- wrist or neck, for example?

Maybe - I am afraid she will have the same reaction if she can't find her pulse. I think it was a bit helpful when I explained she wouldn't be able to talk if her heart stopped.

This morning she did seem to get better. Hopefully in school today she won't panick the teacher.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 11:26 am
Someday you will look back on this as a fond memory. Trust me.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 12:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:

The kid in distress, or you making fun of a kid in distress?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 03:38 pm
DrewDad wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

For once, and with some amazement, I feel the need to defend cj.

I think he's just saying that, once the problem is past and dealt with, it will become a story about this little one that becomes part of the family repertoire of memories, not that he is making fun of her fear now.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 04:58 pm
Doesn't anybody here remember having the same fear?

I sure do.

It was after reading Edgar Allen Poes "The Telltale Heart"

Actually, what frightened me was being able to hear my heart, like when you are on you side with your ear pressed against the pillow.

I'd worry that while I was listening to it, it'd suddenly stop...but, if I turned to I couldn't hear it, I'd have to turn back to see if it was still beating.

Thank God your daughter can tell you these things Linkat. I was more afraid that if I told my parents my fear they'd laugh at me, which, I'm still positive today they would have, since that was their ususal mode of dealing with children in distress.

You're a good mother.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 05:29 pm
Chai wrote:

I sure do.

yep

chai wrote:
Actually, what frightened me was being able to hear my heart, like when you are on you side with your ear pressed against the pillow.

I'd worry that while I was listening to it, it'd suddenly stop...but, if I turned to I couldn't hear it, I'd have to turn back to see if it was still beating.

Thank God your daughter can tell you these things Linkat. I was more afraid that if I told my parents my fear they'd laugh at me, which, I'm still positive today they would have, since that was their ususal mode of dealing with children in distress.

yep

chai wrote:
You're a good mother.

yep
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 09:19 pm
dlowan wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

I think he's just saying that, once the problem is past and dealt with, it will become a story about this little one that becomes part of the family repertoire of memories, not that he is making fun of her fear now.

Did you read both of his posts?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 12:07 am
DrewDad wrote:
dlowan wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Did you read both of his posts?

No.

Just did.

He's a bad boy, all right.

I have to confess that the initial post does tickle my very black sense of humour, though.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 12:13 am
Get a stethoscope and let here hear her own heart.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 07:41 am
Thanks dlowan.

I have three children. All my memories of their lives, whether good or bad at the time, are good memories.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 09:47 am
Chai wrote:

I sure do.

You're a good mother.

That's sweet - thank you.

I don't know how you could laugh though she was so sincerely frightened that my heart (pun) went out to her. To be honest I did laugh a little later, but not with her around.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 09:49 am
cjhsa wrote:
Thanks dlowan.

I have three children. All my memories of their lives, whether good or bad at the time, are good memories.

I didn't take offense - I took it as light heartened (pun), but I am an odd bird.

Already this is a bit funny to me (not that she is so frightened) - just in a way it is so cute (yes twisted). And also her 9-1-1 comment. She told me her older sister taught her to call 9-1-1 in an emergency.
0 Replies