The Lionization Of Edward Kennedy

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:23 pm
CNN

OBAMA
"Ted Kennedy is a giant in American political history. He's done more for health care than just about anybody in history. We are going to be rooting for him. I insist on being optimistic about how it's going to turn out."

MCCAIN
"Senator Kennedy's role in the U.S. Senate cannot be overstated. He is a legendary lawmaker, and I have the highest respect for him. When we have worked together, he has been a skillful, fair and generous partner."

wikipedia

ytedk

nndb

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?"

Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA)

What part will Chappaquidick play in the legacy of Ted Kennedy? What part should it play?

For the sake of those who love him, I hope the Senator recovers, but I will not grieve his passing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,756 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:01 pm
I'm no fan, but I hope he makes a full recovery. I guess he's well enough to call family members to tell them he wouldn't be able to join them for lunch today.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:09 pm
So he made a mistake when he was a young man. Where are all you christians who believe in that bible passage about let he who is without sin cast the first stone. If there weren't so many hipyocrites around this would very seldom come up. The stone casting that is not the bible passage.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:42 pm
rabel22 wrote:
So he made a mistake when he was a young man. Where are all you christians who believe in that bible passage about let he who is without sin cast the first stone. If there weren't so many hipyocrites around this would very seldom come up. The stone casting that is not the bible passage.

Made a mistake?

Well, that's one way of putting it.

I'm not a christian by the way so I don't have to forgive everything everyone does, and even though I stole a candybar when I was five, I still get to criticize a powerful rich man who left a young woman to die while he was crapping his pants worrying about what would happen to his political career.

Don't you think this comment by Teddy, during the Watergate days, just reeks of hypocrisy?

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?"
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:04 pm
wow!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:40 pm
He made more than a mistake. He committed murder. Why don't we just make every murderer sign a statement that they will never do it again then let them go? Would that be the "Christian" thing to do?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:57 pm
Nah, it wasn't murder. Probably manslaughter, or vehicular homicide.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:31 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Nah, it wasn't murder. Probably manslaughter, or vehicular homicide.

And yet he got off with a weak slap on the wrist.

I'm sure that's exactly the punishment the folks he is so keen to champion would receive.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:36 pm
I get the feeling that even though he did not get the punishment that he deserved, he did not get away scot free. Every time that I see a photo of him, I think of "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:52 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I get the feeling that even though he did not get the punishment that he deserved, he did not get away scot free. Every time that I see a photo of him, I think of "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

Dorian Gray was able to transfer the ravaging effects of his debauchery to his portrait. Based on what Teddy looks like, if he has his own hidden picture, it's filled to the brim and the ravages are backing up on him. I would hate to see that picture!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:00 pm
Kennedy was charged with the law in place at the time.

The claims that he got away with murder are just sour grapes. There was no murder to charge him with under the circumstances.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:23 pm
Kennedy's views on politics were certainly different from mine, and he very actively opposed legislative actions I favored. and championed ones I thought ill-advised or harmful. He was particularly harsh and bullying towards the judicial nomnees he opposed, unnecessarily (in my view) making personal attacks on them from his chair on the Judicial Committee (where he enjoyed the protection og Federal law for his many libels).

However, he has lived a colorful and interesting life. Those who favor his interpretations of our political life can and, no doubt, will find many things to praise him for.

I don't see much point in attacking his character now.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 09:58 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Kennedy's views on politics were certainly different from mine, and he very actively opposed legislative actions I favored. and championed ones I thought ill-advised or harmful. He was particularly harsh and bullying towards the judicial nomnees he opposed, unnecessarily (in my view) making personal attacks on them from his chair on the Judicial Committee (where he enjoyed the protection og Federal law for his many libels).

However, he has lived a colorful and interesting life. Those who favor his interpretations of our political life can and, no doubt, will find many things to praise him for.

Then don't.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:14 pm
parados wrote:

The claims that he got away with murder are just sour grapes. There was no murder to charge him with under the circumstances.

He was charged with leaving the scene of an accident which was the least of offenses the authorities might have levelled against him.

A perfect example of a rich fat cat using his power and connections to avoid responsibility, but you can rationalize it was something else.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:16 pm
Thank whatever there is to thank Kennedy is there. Nobody has fought the encroachment of the right on the interests of the working public harder than he has.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 10:30 pm
Yeah, man. It shows the true nature of some people that they'd take this opportunity to kick him when he's down.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:23 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Thank whatever there is to thank Kennedy is there. Nobody has fought the encroachment of the right on the interests of the working public harder than he has.

Well said.

My sense, having only followed his career in a very desultory way, is that, despite some pretty damn major character flaws and awful behaviour, he has maintained a solid and influential commitment to decent political values in his public life, and has been a success in that.

I suspect that much of the intense hatred shown by the right against him is a testament to that.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:59 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Then don't.

I won't. And I don't think there is much point in you doing it either.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:14 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Then don't.

I won't. And I don't think there is much point in you doing it either.

Fine, but forgive me if I don't care.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 08:27 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
parados wrote:

He was charged with leaving the scene of an accident which was the least of offenses the authorities might have levelled against him.

A perfect example of a rich fat cat using his power and connections to avoid responsibility, but you can rationalize it was something else.

I see. So then could you cite the specific laws you think he should have been charged with?
They must have existed at the time in MA.

I bet you won't come up with a single valid citation.
0 Replies