A PLACE FOR ALL THE OBAMA SMEAR CAMPAIGN STUFF

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 02:07 pm
There is going to be a mountain of ugly, ugly lies come the next several months, all designed to make sure Obama doesn't win the presidency in Nobember, so I thought I'd create this space. I figure all the idiots can put their ridiculous unfounded slime against Obama here, instead of wasting space on the threads where people actually try to engage in rational discourse. I'm thinking specifically about things like the fake flagpin outrage, the "Obama is a muslim" phony e-mails, and anything else that fits. I'll put anything I see here as well, as my family is full of idiots who love this crap.

Here's one of the e-mails that I received today. I'm sure dumbasses all over the country are outraged by it.

Quote:
In Obama's own words

This guy wants to be our President and control our government. Pay close attention to the last comment!! Below are a few lines from Obama's books ' his words:

From Dreams of My Father: 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.'

From Dreams of My Father : 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mothers race.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

From Dreams of My Father: ; 'It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.'

From Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

If you ever forwarded an e-mail, now is the time to do it again.

~~~~~

Enjoy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,395 • Replies: 65
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:14 am
It's going to be a masterpiece in the worst of American politics and the worst part is it will probably work.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:18 am
Re: A PLACE FOR ALL THE OBAMA SMEAR CAMPAIGN STUFF
Quote:
In Obama's own words
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:20 am
Obama does it with your mother.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:21 am
Laughing Laughing YEA!!!

Your mother buddy!!!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:51 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
In Obama's own words

You don't think a person can be smeared with their own words?
0 Replies

kallioj

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 06:45 am
Context always helps. In this case, he's referring to how Arab Americans were being treated after 9/11.

The actual quote from the book is from page 261 and is as follows: "Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 06:47 am
Thanks kallioj!

I have the book and started to page through for context but wasn't finding anything. (Why don't books have a "search" function?! The nerve.) Anyway, I'm sure all the quotes have mitigating context such as the above, thanks for providing one example.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:16 am
For the Kickster. Kicky, please forward these corrections to the email list from which the original came from.

Quote:
I had been wanting to go back through and fact-check these misquotes for some time. It's been tough since none are cited by page number (no surprise) so I finally decided to just download an unabridged copy from ebooks.com to assist in the search and go through each one below. I hope that you find this useful in quickly dealing with these emails and posts. I also found it worthwhile at this point to just re-read and put into context many of the rites of passage I think many of us can relate to in this well-written account that just so happens to be from a great candidate for President. As for the target audience:

There are some who have already made up their minds and will see what they choose to see regardless of context. This is not for them.

There are others who are equivocating or Democrats or Independents or new voters or Republicans "on-the-fence" and, although they may not find the source of the original taken-out-of-context sound-bites credible, could be left with an impression that, until they or someone else do a little more digging, may sit in their minds to come back again on election day. This is for them.

Finally, for those of us who look forward to voting for Barack Obama in November I hope this is a tiny way to take another look at this very insightful and truly American story. This is for you too.

Following is each (mis)quote in bold followed by the actual quote and context with paginated citations so that anyone can check for themselves and/or build on this:

Misquoted and out of context from Dreams of My Father: 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites'

In the paragraph prior to this quote (Introduction: pp. xiv-xv), Obama talks of his mother's 6 year old cousin who had "already lost" his innocence after reporting to his parents that some of his first grade "classmates had refused to play with him because of his dark skin". As you read further you can see the implications of this on Obama's life growing up and why he felt compelled to bring up his mother's race until "the age of 12 or 13":

Actual quote:"When people who don't know me well, black or white, discover my background (and it is usually a discovery, for I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites) I see the the split-second adjustments they have to make, the searching of my eyes for some telltale sign." (Introduction: Page xv)

Nowhere to be found in Dreams from My Father: 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mothers race.'

I cannot locate this anywherein "Dreams of My Father" after searching on each key word through an unabridged copy downloaded from ebooks.com. We can simply shoot this one quote down and rightfully attack the credibility of the entire post.

Misquoted and taken out of context from Dreams of My Father: 'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

When Obama was still in New York (after graduating Columbia) and at the point of almost giving up on organizing, he gets a call from Marty Kaufman who had "started an organizing drive in Chicago and was looking to hire a trainee." (Story begin on page 140). After talking about Chicago, the Cubs, his organizing efforts, Harold Washington, the South Side community, etc... he offers Obama the job with a small salary and travel expense. When Marty leaves, Obama walks home and thinks about this man and the offer (starting his community organizing days in Chicago):

Actual quote: "He was smart, I decided. He seemed committed to his work. Still, there was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white - he'd said himself that was a problem." (Page 142).

Later, Obama sits down on a bench to consider his options. A "black woman and her young son approach" and the boy asks him why the East River goes one way and the other. Obama explains the tides. "The answer seemed to satisfy the boy..." "As I watched the two of them disappear into dusk, I realized I had never noticed which way the river ran. A week later, I loaded up my car and drove to Chicago." (Page 143). Obama quickly recognizes that his back and forth on Marty, the situation, etc... is like the East River - it's going to go back and forth no matter what - it's time to act and he does.

Taken out of context from Dreams of My Father: ; 'It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names'

(Page 101). Obama is IN COLLEGE. He is posing, finding his identity.
Prior to this quote he explains the early pressure of fitting in with the so-called campus "radicals" to "avoid being mistaken for a sellout." (page 100). Starting on page 101 right after the quote, he goes through an incident where he is "called out" on this attitude. Thinking back, he realizes that "the whole year seemed like one big lie..." as he then matures beyond this perspective (Page 102).

I am sure none of us copped similar attitudes while in college or in our late teens/early twenties.

Altered quote and completely taken out of context from Dreams of My Father: 'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.'

Actual quote: (in context, is addressing his earlier attitude towards his step dad and grandfather): "...men I might love but never emulate, white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela." (Page 220).

In the very next paragraph Obama writes, "Now...that image had suddenly vanished." " To think all my life I had been wrestling with nothing more than a ghost!" as Obama comes to terms with the image versus the reality of his father.

Anyone out there not go through a similar process with their father?

Audacious quote-twisting and re-creation of meaning from Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

Actual quote: "Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction." (page 261).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 07:23 am
Excellent! Good to know that someone's already done the work. (And an e-book DOES have a search function! Genius!)

Thanks for posting that, Butrflynet.

Hey, this could become Debunk Central. That'd be cool.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 02:00 pm
Yeah, Soz, you're right. That would be cool. Thanks, butrflynet for the full debunking. I'll let the idiot wing of my family know. Not that it will matter, but at least I'll feel like I'm doing something worthwhile.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 03:52 pm
kickycan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
In Obama's own words

You don't think a person can be smeared with their own words?

As losg as the words are a direct quote, AND in context, then no.
But when you only use a one sentence bite (something BOTH parties are very good at doing), then it is possible to smear someone with their own words.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 06:11 am
It is just one of the reasons I feel Obama could could lose as he is an easier target whilst Hillary has been targetted but has survived all Republican smears.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:02 am
Obama has his own Snopes page! Looks useful.

http://snopes.com/politics/obama/

Talk, the Republicans have boxes and boxes of oppo on Hillary that they hoped to drag out in 2004, and then were looking forward to using in 2008. No reason to use it before she's the nominee -- they WANTED her to be the nominee SO they could use that stuff (and get McCain in).

Not to mention that 8 years have passed since she was "vetted" in any serious way, and seems like a lot has gone on since then, especially with Bill Clinton and finances. And has Bill gone that long without a single extra-marital dalliance?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:15 am
talk72000 wrote:
It is just one of the reasons I feel Obama could could lose as he is an easier target whilst Hillary has been targetted but has survived all Republican smears.

I don't think Senator Clinton has survived all the Republicans could throw at her. Her first senatorial campaign could have been nasty, but Guilliani came down with cancer and she won in a cakewalk. Obama's team really didn't go to town with bullets over Bosnia and a couple of the other whoppers we heard before Penn. The Republicans would not have shown such contraint in the general election. I also expect they would have dug up all the stuff that Gunga generally posts about the Clinton's having people killed, etc. If anything, the Obama team's soft handling of Clinton may have left her unprepared for the general election would she have been the nominee.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:11 am
sozobe wrote:
Talk, the Republicans have boxes and boxes of oppo on Hillary that they hoped to drag out in 2004, and then were looking forward to using in 2008. No reason to use it before she's the nominee -- they WANTED her to be the nominee SO they could use that stuff (and get McCain in).

I think it's safe to say you can't speak for all Republicans, soz, and you certainly can't speak for me. I have NEVER wanted the Hildabeast to be the nominee.

Quote:
And has Bill gone that long without a single extra-marital dalliance?

No.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:54 am
Ticomaya wrote:
sozobe wrote:

I think it's safe to say you can't speak for all Republicans, soz, and you certainly can't speak for me. I have NEVER wanted the Hildabeast to be the nominee.

OK, point taken. That's not what I meant, though -- talk was talking (heh) about "Republicans" in terms of surviving smears. I was talking in the same terms -- Republicans who will be implementing various smeary tactics.* I wasn't thinking of rank-and-file Republicans like you.

*I can get a cite for the "boxes of Hillary oppo" thing on request.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:46 pm
Who you calling "rank," soz?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 01:53 pm
Would a little deodorant really be so bad?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:17 pm
I like the theme post - favorable contrast to the case-against-McCain one. Anyway;

Obama tells Tenn.'s GOP: 'Lay off my wife'

Now McCain, to my understanding has been a class act, didn't downplay it, but left it between the Obama camp and the nation. Now the Tenn. GOP makes it a thing and Obama says no-way. The key phrase, as per the source being 'made while campaigning' in reference to her proud-for-the-first-time quote. Right off the bat, to me, that means fair-game - I mean, buy the ticket, take the ride. But more importantly, even if she didn't mean it as such, it ain't nothing - what she said was heard, and it probably worked a little too well for some people. Like if the McCain camp were to actively play to negative racial sentiment - it would piss off 99 percent, but some American votes would be bought and paid for that way. Then McCain could smooth it over, but the whole integrity thing would be out the window and he'd get to keep the newly mobilized white-supremacist demographic. The only objective way to sort it out and cut loose the lunatics (for their own sake as well as anyones), would be to let the opposition make a thing out of it, and if the defendant had nothing to hide he could say 'not my thing/mea culpa' and maybe get past it depending on the level of naivety or wrong-mindedness demonstrated. It can't be music to Obama's ears, but telling people to shut up is disingenuous to the sentiments and right-to-know of the constituency - and the threatening tone just shows how a real elitist operates...
0 Replies