Bras

Eva

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:23 pm
Lola wrote:
oh come on.....you chicken! Jock straps can be fun too. I mean, what about em? Do you wear one, what size........funny how that's not as easy to joke about as bras are. I see your point.

Uh oh! Better zip up your fly, panz! Laughing

BTW, Welcome back, Lola! It's been too long. We've missed you.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:40 pm
Yeah Eva I had never met Lola before...so I lit a fire under her feet...she just laughed.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:53 pm
fire? Oh, I love fire........

thanks for the welcome, Eva.....I've missed you all too. And nice to meet you Panz.......
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:56 pm
Same here...when I arrived I saw you mentioned but never saw your posts.
0 Replies

Michaelg

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:31 pm
What purpose bras?
Clearly if being braless makes you uncomfortable, and wearing a bra makes you more comfortable, then it makes sense, however many women feel the opposite.

Jiggling never did anyone any harm, but in large breasted women, exercise can cause discomfort in some people that is prevented by breast restraint.

It is a matter of choice. bras don't do much except shift the weight of the breast off the chest wall onto the shoulder which can cause problems.

No, I don't have breasts but I do listen to those that do.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:59 pm
I don't need a bra.........not that I'm without endowment........but, it needs no support. Laugh. More power to those who do. I'm happy, however and carefree
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:27 pm
Lola wrote:
I don't need a bra.........not that I'm without endowment........but, it needs no support. Laugh. More power to those who do. I'm happy, however and carefree

I think you present a false standard, one which no woman really fits into. The truth of the matter is that if you aren't reasonably flat, surgically "improved", male or under 15, you are going to be uncomfortable running without good support.

A major part of the decision whether you wear bras or not is whether you are comfortable not fitting into the western standard of what shape breasts should have. It's a racist statment anyway, because the "standard" is usually the rounded shape of women of western European decent, and the further you stray , the more diverse women's breast shapes are.

Another big part of the decision to wear bras is what the individual is accustomed to. Most Western women have been wearing bras (or at least training bras) from late childhood, if not early adolescence, so it's the most comfortable. Women from a lot of other cultures feel differently.

It would be cool to be flat-chested enough that you could run and jump about comfortably without them, but that isn't the case for most women. Breasts suck, life would be so much simpler and comfortable without them, and they really have no practical use except when you are nursing infants (which I never intend to do) . I think we should evolve ( or invent a drug) so that, like dogs and a number of other animals, they only really appear when you are pregnant.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:27 pm
Lola wrote:

I think you present a false standard, one which no woman really fits into. The truth of the matter is that if you aren't reasonably flat, surgically "improved", male or under 15, you are going to be uncomfortable running without good support.

A major part of the decision whether you wear bras or not is whether you are comfortable not fitting into the western standard of what shape breasts should have. It's a racist statment anyway, because the "standard" is usually the rounded shape of women of western European decent, and the further you stray , the more diverse women's breast shapes are.

Another big part of the decision to wear bras is what the individual is accustomed to. Most Western women have been wearing bras (or at least training bras) from late childhood, if not early adolescence, so it's the most comfortable. Women from a lot of other cultures feel differently.

It would be cool to be flat-chested enough that you could run and jump about comfortably without them, but that isn't the case for most women. Breasts suck, life would be so much simpler and comfortable without them, and they really have no practical use except when you are nursing infants (which I never intend to do) . I think we should evolve ( or invent a drug) so that, like dogs and a number of other animals, they only really appear when you are pregnant.
0 Replies

Michaelg

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 03:28 pm
Breasts in Motion
You are correct on most points except exercise. There has been quite a bit of research on this.

Most women can exercise without a bra or even topless, and many do. However some women complain of pain, which is related to the amount of breast movement. If this is a problem some restraint will generally help.

Sports bras work better than regular bras. However just a top that reduces motion will often do the trick.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:51 pm
Now did I say anything about running without a bra? I did not. But I do prefer tight fitting camisoles or tops that "reduce motion" to bras of any sort. I have been known to wear a bra.......but only for fun. And I do that fairly often.

I wore a "training bra" when I was young (not that I needed training). But when I was in college, we burned our bras. So that was the end of that. Actually, I did fail the pencil test. But no matter. I still enjoy the lacy little nothing bras one can buy these days.

But I must say, Eccles, I can't agree with you that breasts suck. I think breasts are lovely. Where would we be without them?
0 Replies

Michaelg

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:16 am
Up with Breasts, Down with Bras
I agree, I think that both men and women enjoy breasts, their own and others.

It is the senseless social restrictions placed on breasts that causes all the trouble. The only problem is when they go wrong, and like other organs, become a source of discomfort or disease, but that is no reason to wish them away.

If you lived in Tahiti or parts of Europe, or many other places in the world, you would get so used to them that it would no longer be a problem.

The training bra is of course a hoax. Breasts do not need training! I saw a website the other day advertising bras for 4 year olds and above (just like mother), why stop at 4?

You are quite right many tops will provide adequate restraint if bounce bothers you. However most people are not bothered by bounce - they do not come off you know.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:25 am
It's a matter of habituation. If you are used to wearing bras, then they are more comfortable, at least to run in.

I think the next step, after training bras, is man-bras, to deal with unsightly man-breasts.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:29 am
Krammer did that and called them "bros"
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:02 am
Well, yes, but that was in New York. I've been reliably informed (well, informed anyhow) that there are oxygen masks and icecream stores created for pets in New York. When the rest of the world starts catching on, it becomes disturbing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:02 pm
Re: Up with Breasts, Down with Bras
Michaelg wrote:
I agree, I think that both men and women enjoy breasts, their own and others.

It is the senseless social restrictions placed on breasts that causes all the trouble. The only problem is when they go wrong, and like other organs, become a source of discomfort or disease, but that is no reason to wish them away.

If you lived in Tahiti or parts of Europe, or many other places in the world, you would get so used to them that it would no longer be a problem.

The training bra is of course a hoax. Breasts do not need training! I saw a website the other day advertising bras for 4 year olds and above (just like mother), why stop at 4?

You are quite right many tops will provide adequate restraint if bounce bothers you. However most people are not bothered by bounce - they do not come off you know.

No - generally they don't.

However, I sometimes wish the damn things were detachable for exercise purposes...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:04 pm
Actually - that would be win-win - there's more than one fella I have come across who would enjoy having them to play with while one was out exercising!
0 Replies

Michaelg

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:13 pm
Eccles wrote:
It's a matter of habituation. If you are used to wearing bras, then they are more comfortable, at least to run in.

Correct, but once you stop wearing them you also habituate.
0 Replies

Michaelg

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 03:32 pm
Dressing Up
Lola wrote:
I have been known to wear a bra.......but only for fun. And I do that fairly often.

I still enjoy the lacy little nothing bras one can buy these days.

Whatever we say around here, we should not forget that dressing up is usually fun, and nobody should deny anyone else fun! Of course underwear can be fun.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 03:36 pm
Underwear IS fun!!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 04:18 pm
But taking it off can lead to more fun. Very Happy
0 Replies