She Took My Hand For a Moment; What Does This Mean?

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 06:20 pm
I've had a friendly relationship with a neighbor down the street for about a year. It started when I saw her walking her dog and I approached to ask about the dog, being a dog rescue volunteer. Now, when I see her coming down the block with the dog, I leave the house and we usually wind up talking on my steps. We have a very good rapport; lots of laughing, etc. She is a widow and I (get ready for the fly in the ointment) am married. She knows I'm married. She's met my wife. My wife knows that if anyone on the block owns a dog, chances are I know them. My wife works; I am retired and volunteer at an animal shelter. She has asked why she rarely sees me and my wife together. I told her that we're not very close; basically living separate lives under one roof. Anyway, nothing further along those lines has been said (I made that comment about a month ago). This evening, after our little conversation on my steps, my neighbor reached out her hand to me as she left and I took it for a moment. That was all there was to that. Was it just a friendly gesture, or does this physical contact mean anything?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,216 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 06:36 pm
It was a human gesture.

A friend touching a friend's hand.

Joe(You're lucky. Not many people have many true friends)Nation
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 08:08 pm
Oh dear:

She asks why you and your wife are not seen together.

You tell her that you and your wife are not together in many ways "(just live under the same roof.")

She takes your hand.

Come on . . .

You "set" this one up.

She's made the first move; now what do you do?

1) you remember you are married and don't get near enough to this woman for anyone to touch anyone else.

then . . .
2) you find out why you stay in a love-less marriage.
0 Replies

dogwalkman

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:15 pm
Hopefully, Joe is on the money here. I know I'm playing with fire. There are reasons why I have stayed married, in a situation where most people would be heading for the exit. By letting this woman know I am married, I guess I'm trying to take some of the responsibility off myself. Maybe for my ego's sake I just want to know if the "touching" was just a friendly gesture (Joe's feeling) or a signal of some sort (sullyfish6's position). For the sake of all concerned, I'm hoping it's the former, but for a nice ego boost I'm hoping for the latter. What do I do next? Just go on as always. I won't make any overtly dramatic moves like suggesting a rendezvous some afternoon while my wife is at work. The question is, what will I do if she makes the suggestion? Don't really know at the moment.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 09:28 pm
I also think it was a friendly gesture only.
However, dogwalkman, don't forget that you're neighbors. If anything
turns "sour" in your friendship that gets friendlier and friendlier,
she might put up the barbwire on you, and there goes the neighborhood.

Never in your own backyard!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 09:44 pm
GO FOR IT!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 09:45 pm
check your wallet.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:27 pm
dyslexia wrote:
check your wallet.

Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:02 am
Heres what you do buddy.....I'll let you use one of my lines.

You say;

"Look baby, me and you ain't gettin any younger, the parts fit and life is short.

$HIT! We might die tomorrow! You know me and I know you and the world is full of crazy f#@ckers. Sure it might be a mistake but thats just some other day and looking at you........I'm ready to take that risk."

You can thank me later and don't tell anybody my line.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:26 am
... and then hand her $50, right?
:wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 01:59 am
Dag, you are so cruel.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 02:05 am
dagmaraka wrote:
... and then hand her $50, right?
:wink:

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 03:22 am
touche the sun

hold out your hand to your wife
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:20 am
Quote:

That's as close to a one line poem as I've ever seen.

Joe($50.! Damn, I overpaid again.)Nation
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:45 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

nice memories, go yankees
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 04:53 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

really? I don't get into bed in the morning for less than $60.
0 Replies

dogwalkman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:08 am
Thanks, everyone, for putting this whole matter in perspective. I think I'm dealing with a major non-event here. I'll keep you informed as things do or do not develop.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:58 pm
dogwalkman wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for putting this whole matter in perspective. I think I'm dealing with a major non-event here. I'll keep you informed as things do or do not develop.

Whoa, cowboy! A non-event? Who said this was a non-event? If you play your cards right, you've accomplished what very few people really accomplish.

In the words of Carol King: You've got a friend.

or rather: two people have made a friendship here.

Ain't nothing non-event about friendship, friend, if it's real it's as rare as rainbows.

Friends are the cooler kingdom of our lives. I except, accept and exempt the faults, foibles and gross machinations of those people (few that they are) who are my true, beautiful friends as they, I am sure with rolling eyes, accept the abject weirdness of this poor soul named Joe.

You've gotten lucky in the very real way, dogman.

Joe(You just don't know it yet)Nation
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:06 pm
dogwalkman wrote:

Tap that azz.
0 Replies

dogwalkman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:03 pm
You're absolutely right, Joe. And may I add, you took the words right out of my mouth.
0 Replies