eoe

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:43 pm
DrewDad wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Hm, but coke is just as expensive as cheap beer, isn't it?

What about blow and weed?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
bella, how old are you? Past first apartment stage, BYOB is kinda immature.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:48 pm
I guess I'll add that a party running dry is kind of deadly, especially if it happens early. On the other hand, you don't want guests crashing on the way home.

Back in the gallery days, we had cases of reds and then whites on ice, and Calistoga water from Costco in another iced vat. Well, we sometimes had 400 people drop by. We taste tested the week before the openings with a selection of extreme cheapo wines from the local grocery outlet, and then went back and bought a case or two of the tolerable ones; occasionally some were surprisingly good. Eventually we cut that out for local legal reasons, and instead had a few bottles of wine in back for the artist and a few particular people, like ourselves, and just served the masses bottled water or apple cider.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:49 pm
Next question, what is usual in your area?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:15 pm
THEY MAKE WINE WITH 8% alcohol?. Why drink it at all? Im sure it cant taste like anything. Real wines are 12% and 13% and greater for burgundies. A really great Puligny Montrachet will be like 16 or 18% .

BYOB is a way to dodge any responsibility if some as shole gets hammered and wraps his/or her car around a tree. The family cant sue if you show that you discouraged drinking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:18 pm
Ah, interesting. Tnx, farmerman.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:28 pm
Well, I spoke up for byob early on, but I don't think I've ever done it myself. I've gone into hock first... early creditcarditis..

but good booze and good wine, as opposed to adequate, do cost an arm and a leg, and not everyone has the wherewithal, especially lately. Even those who are past university can and do struggle for money.

Maybe your group doesn't care about wine tasting, or levels of beer goodness - thus providing some simple choices would be courteous and not too budget damaging in contrast to the possible tackiness quotient. Hard to say, not knowing your pals.

I do bet people will ask you if they can bring something....

I mean besides a gift.

If there are gifts, I'd get the wine and beer and be quiet.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:31 pm
Confused

I don't think it's immature.

I don't drink, and since I stopped there's a whole new universe of alcoholic beverages I know nothing about. I wouldn't know where to start.

Alcohol is really expensive, and, for me, what would I do with the leftovers? Or if you drink, what if you're stuck with stuff you don't like?

Give it away to the last people leaving the party?

I dunno, unless your Mrs. Gotrocks your friends are going to understand it's expensive to do the whole 9 yards....and if some of your guests are family, well, damn, bring your own booze cuz....

Anyway, when I go to someone home for a gathering, I never go empty handed. I always bring a gift of at least flowers, or a small box of good chocolates, or in this case, a bottle of wine or whatever.

If my friends don't like BYOB, they're not my friends.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:42 pm
25 - 30 people? BYOB!! Unless you're celebrating something and you want them there for that. Usually, at parties that size people know to bring their own. You could have some extras on hand in case but no, I don't think it's tacky to ask them to bring their own booze. You are providing everything else, and as someone said, not everyone drinks so they'll bring their own cranberry juice or whatever.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:44 pm
In the event of a large party, I dont see byob as immature ... so much..

I see it as frikkin expensive.

A 6 pack of cheap beer is about 7.00
And a 6 pack can give only 2 people (possibly) enough to drink.
One each before food. Maybe one during dinner, and one after.

30 people? Pbbthh. thats a big bill right there..
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:47 pm
How about turning it into a wine or beer tasting party? Everyone brings a bottle of wine, Last name A-M brings a bottle of their own choice of a particular type of wine(Merlot), N-Z brings a bottle of a different type(Cabernet) you can provide paper bags and lable each A-..... and you can rate the different bags. It does call for a large quantity of glasses though but they can be rented.

You could probably do the same with microbrew beer.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:55 pm
BYOG (bring your own grog) is standard fare here and a great way toe start a wine celler. There's always a few bottles left over.

If its a barbie BYOFG is also acceptable.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:56 pm
Re: BYOB - Tacky?
Bella Dea wrote:
Is it tacky to ask that people bring their own alcohol?
Yep, pretty much........it's tacky.

Now if you rephrase: "if you feel inclined to bring a beverage you can, but there is no obligation to do so, and if you let me know what beverage you like, I'll try and make sure it's on hand" you cover all bases.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 07:50 pm
Why not buy a keg? They cost around $ 100 for 15.5 gallons. That
should do it!!

http://www.kegworld.com/lasvegas.htm
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 08:05 pm
farmerman wrote:
THEY MAKE WINE WITH 8% alcohol?. Why drink it at all? Im sure it cant taste like anything. Real wines are 12% and 13% and greater for burgundies. A really great Puligny Montrachet will be like 16 or 18% .

Anything over 14% is a "dessert wine."
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:00 pm
I think we need a poll.

I'm on the BYOB is fine, not tacky side.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:21 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Why not buy a keg? They cost around $ 100 for 15.5 gallons. That
should do it!!

http://www.kegworld.com/lasvegas.htm

That's a damn fine idea!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:24 pm
I've never been insulted or found the request tacky. It's expensive to set up a bar and many people just don't have the money to throw around. Bella just had a baby and is looking to buy a house, I think it would more tacky not to bring some wine or beer to the party.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:55 pm
Agreeing with Green Witch but also liking Chumly's post.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:53 am
It's not what I would do.
If I host a party, I will provide at least the basics.
Beer and wine is part of that for me.

However it's your party, and your rules.
As long as people know beforehand, they can deal with it!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 07:03 am
Well, to answer a few questions.

It's our housewarming party. We just bought the house, our first. We're totally broke now. LOL

Second, everyone drinks different beers. And our parents are staying over for the night, meaning our dads will be consuming copious amounts of beer. My MIL drinks mixed drinks. Hubby drinks another kind of beer. Etc, etc, etc... really, I'd have a house full of random alcohols after the party.

I didn't say on my invite "bring alcohol" so everyone can drink. I said "BYOB; dinner, snacks, pop, coffee and tea provided". I assume people know that BYOB means bring it for yourself if you want it, not for the party in general.

This is a super casual event.
0 Replies