NC GOP Comes to the Aid of Hillary Clinton

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:33 pm
maporsche wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
BTW we have been hearing claims that imply that Obama made some kind of pledge concerning taking only public financing if his opponent did likewise. He never made that pledge. Not even close.

Oh, I'd say he came VERY close....and other's (even Obama supporters) on this board had the same impression when he said it over a year ago.

But we've already heard, that while public financing is a very important issue to many people (myself included), it all takes a back seat IF you really want Obama to win.

Public financing for Republican = GREAT IDEA
Public financing for Obama = NO WAY!

No he didn't even come close to making a pledge to do that. Please provide a quote that he did and I will stand corrected. He checked off some damn questionnaire. Tell the truth. That is a GREAT IDEA. And please, please, please register as a Republican. They need folks like you.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:44 pm
North Carolina GOP leadership divided over ad

Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. - North Carolina Republican leaders are standing by a TV ad critical of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama despite dissension in their own ranks and two stations' refusal to air it.

Republican National Committee member Linda Shaw said Thursday she was shocked that her colleagues decided to produce and air the ad, which shows Obama with his former pastor, Jeremiah Wright, and a clip of Wright's anti-U.S. comments.

"I do not support it," Shaw said. "I had nothing to do with it ... and I'm very disappointed."

Shaw, a longtime party leader, said she repeatedly urged state party chairwoman Linda Daves to withdraw the spot.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:45 pm
woiyo wrote:
The party sponsored this ad?

So I can now sit back and watch the self destruction of the Democratic party with a smile. Cool
And your country
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:00 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
BTW we have been hearing claims that imply that Obama made some kind of pledge concerning taking only public financing if his opponent did likewise. He never made that pledge. Not even close.

Oh, I'd say he came VERY close....and other's (even Obama supporters) on this board had the same impression when he said it over a year ago.

But we've already heard, that while public financing is a very important issue to many people (myself included), it all takes a back seat IF you really want Obama to win.

Public financing for Republican = GREAT IDEA
Public financing for Obama = NO WAY!

No he didn't even come close to making a pledge to do that. Please provide a quote that he did and I will stand corrected. He checked off some damn questionnaire. Tell the truth. That is a GREAT IDEA. And please, please, please register as a Republican. They need folks like you.

I'm telling the truth...here's Sozobe's original post about this issue.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2546555#2546555

From the article
Quote:
"Should John McCain win the Republican nomination, we will agree to accept public financing in the general election, if the Democratic nominee agrees to do the same," Mr. Nelson said.

A spokesman for Mr. Obama, Bill Burton, said, "We hope that each of the Republican candidates pledges to do the same."

Mr. Burton added that if nominated Mr. Obama would "aggressively pursue an agreement" with whoever was his opponent.

Mr. McCain and Mr. Obama have backed changing campaign finances.

I'll see if I can find some more quotes...but I figured I'd start with the first post from an Obama supporter from this board.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:09 pm
Geez Roxxxanne, it's been like 15 hours since I posted that information and I think I could hear a cricket chirp in here.

I expected some sort of response. I mean it's obviuos to everyone here that the Obama campaign did more than "check a box" in regards to public financing.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:53 am
I've found quite a few articles from last year praising Obama for the public financing pledge. Kinda sucks that he gets credit in the press for making this pledge, and the good publicity he gets from his party because of it.....and now you have idiots saying that he never made the pledge in the first place. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

It's also pretty funny that the main "out" that Obama's campaign has left has centered around the Republican nominee not taking public financing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/21/AR2007082101420.html
Quote:
Perhaps most important, Obama has pledged to take public financing for the general election if he is the Democratic nominee and his Republican opponent will do the same.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/19/AR2007021900991_pf.html
Quote:

As Mr. Obama put it in his letter to the FEC, "Should both major parties' nominees elect to receive public funding, this would preserve the public financing system, now in danger of collapse, and facilitate the conduct of campaigns freed from any dependence on private fundraising." The FEC has said it is speeding up its review of Mr. Obama's intriguing proposal, which turns, as a legal matter, on the question of whether the candidate would be deemed to have "accepted" money he is raising for the general election campaign if he keeps it separate and unused. If the money has been raised but not "accepted," Mr. Obama argues, he could still choose to return it and take public financing instead.

Linguistically, this might be a stretch that only a former Harvard Law Review president could love. But as a matter of policy, it could salvage a failing system to promote the aims underlying the law. As Mr. Obama put it, "Congress concluded some thirty years ago that the public funding alternative . . . would serve core purposes in the public interest: limiting the escalation of campaign spending and the associated pressures on candidates to raise, at the expense of time devoted to public dialogue, ever vaster sums of money."
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 09:28 am
This fell to the 2nd page Roxxxanne, so you may have missed it.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:34 am
C'mon Roxxxanne....after calling me a LIAR and telling me I need to switch parties, my response to your insults was factual, direct, and to the point.

Not even a response?

While I may have shown your ignorance on this thread, your lack of response has shown your cowardice.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:48 am
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, he said it. There were some hedges, but it was more than just an implication.

I still have mixed feelings on that one. May be more pragmatic to forgo public financing, but...

The part of the argument I have sympathy for is that he's effectively doing what public financing was set up to do -- go straight to small donors, a lot of them (more than a million individual donors now, forget how many of them), rather than being beholden to lobbyists/ major donors.

But yeah, he made a pledge or at least strongly implied that if the Republican nominee agreed to do it as well, he'd accept public financing. And it'd make me wince if he went back on it.

I am still looking for the quote in which Obama made this alleged pledge.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:51 am
maporsche wrote:
C'mon Roxxxanne....after calling me a LIAR and telling me I need to switch parties, my response to your insults was factual, direct, and to the point.

Not even a response?

While I may have shown your ignorance on this thread, your lack of response has shown your cowardice.

LOL cowardice, perhaps you haven't considered I have a life? Ummm...first, where is the post in which I called you "a LIAR. " Secondly, where is the quote from Obama himself in which he pledged to accept public financing?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:13 am
Anyone who claims to be a Democrat and supports Hillary Clinton needs to listen to this.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:34 am
uh... not so long ago you claimed to be a democrat and supported Hillary Clinton... if the tide continues to turn her way will you switch back? Your alliance I mean....
0 Replies