Amish and autism, good read..

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 03:04 pm
High Seas wrote:
Chai wrote:
High Seas wrote:
Actuarially speaking there are no "new" diseases. Nobody in risk management believes in the existence of any of those "suddenly discovered" psychobabble "illnesses".

So you are saying now there ARE new diseases, but people don't DIE of these new diseases, they die of the same old stuff as before....like having a socerer cast a spell on you?

You speak with forked tongue.

Chai - please READ and THINK before TYPING.

Your posts have the lowest signal-to-noise ratio of anybody on this thread.

High, if you were to say something that made sense, I wouldn't have to clarify.

I refuse to be cowed by anyone throwing snide remarks around, as if I'm the one at fault for not understanding someone's double talk.

If I need clarification, I'm going to ask for it, and if you don't like it...tough.

First you say there are no new diseases, then you say there are.

Then you say people aren't dying of these new diseases, they are dying of the old one, which apparantly are now just being called a different name.

Would you please pick a place and light?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 03:06 pm
Setanta - somebody here burned the dictionaries.......

Would you be so kind as to explain to this frantic typist that "disease" is not identical to "diagnosis" and that neither is to be confused with "symptoms"?

Any help appreciated in advance - nice to see you as always.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 03:22 pm
It appears that some of the confusion arises because disease is here identified with a morbid condition. Alleged "mental health" conditions can as well be described in terms of trauma as to be described as a morbid condition, as a disease.

And that goes to the heart of the problem, really. To "identify" a developmental "problem," and to brand it a "disease" condition, and then to promote one's brand can be a means to assure one's professional standing and a continued good income. The pharmas can jump in to promote the allegation of such "diseases" as means of peddling their products.

However, i haven't the least hope that anything i can say will clear up the confusion of anyone here who hasn't grasped the problems of definition. If what Throughthelookingglass wrote didn't sink in, i doubt that i could provide any clarification.

Cancer is a morbid condition. The dramatic apparent rise in the incidence and prevalence of cancer was just that, apparent as opposed to real. We don't really have any evidence that the incidence and prevalence of cancer has increased in humans over the last few centuries--we are now better able to identify the morbid condition, which in the past could have fallen into the diagnosis of "consumption," which also included tuberculosis, pneumoconiosis--any of a host of morbid conditions which presented with symptoms of dramatic weight loss, chronic pain, etc.

But these "mental health" conditions, these "new diseases" are not morbid conditions, and can only notionally be considered to be products of trauma. The point which people are missing is that the behaviors which are now being identified as "disease" conditions, and for which pharmaceutical remedies are alleged to be indicated have always been present in the population. I suspect that were there a reliable epidemiological base line established over a long period of time, one could demonstrate that these "disease" conditions are more or less constant in incidence and prevalence. So, just as "consumption" was a morbid condition consistently diagnosed, but which was only a description of superficial observable consequences of any one of several actual morbid conditions--here the behavior of children is being superficially described in terms of mental health "disease," without any reliable diagnostic and prognostic bases, making the "diagnosis" unassailable because unproven and unprovable.

Bottom line from my point of view--there are no "new diseases" here, in exactly the sense that HS uses, but there is a powerful incentive for mental health professionals and the pharmas to promote the idea that there are.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 03:42 pm
High Seas wrote:
Setanta - somebody here burned the dictionaries.......

Would you be so kind as to explain to this frantic typist that "disease" is not identical to "diagnosis" and that neither is to be confused with "symptoms"?

Any help appreciated in advance - nice to see you as always.

Well, I'm glad you finally realized you were incapable of making sense, and asked someone who could explain.

Why is it that when some people want to shut someone up, they do so by writing things like "this frantic typist"?

Like I'm supposed to get angry, or feel the need to defend myself.

Actually, it's a retorical question, since it's obvious why some do it....it's important to some to try to put others down, to build themselves up.

Fortunately, that dog don't hunt with me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:02 pm
farmerman wrote:
AMish diets arent any better than those of the "English" They eat all the same prepared convenience dishes.

In Plain City, Ohio (honest to Dog, that's the name) there is a big touristy Amish restaurant, with an entire separate wing of souvenir gewgaws, and menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner, an a la carte menu and a buffet. The food is a nutritionist's nightmare--"home-made" macaroni and cheese, chicken and dumplings, sweet potatoes with miniature marshmallows and thiry-five kinds of roast beef, pork and chicken. The Girl and i ate there, and we loved it. The hostess was a "plain" woman, young, but wearing the regulation uniform, including the delicate lace mob cap, and not a speck of make-up. She's family, though--the rest of the staff are Hispanics and local high-school kids who'll take the minimum wage jobs.

Then there's the little hole in the wall Amish restaurant down the road, an entirely family-run affair, which serves a higher proportion of fats, flour and sugar on their menu. When you order the ham steak (which is out of this world), it comes smothered in red-eye milk gravy, with a side of mashed potatoes which has about four tablespoons of butter melting into the mound, and bowl of red-eye milk gravy on the side to put over the potatoes after the butter completely melts. For those who don't know, red-eye gravy is made from the drippings of the ham steak, which doesn't produce nearly enough fat, so bacon fat is usually added. Then some flour is stirred into make the gravy. To make red-eye milk gravy, at the end of the previously described process, you start to add milk and more flour, and more milk, and more flour--until you get a thick, viscous liquid.

Heaven, I'm in heaven . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:05 pm
JEEZUS H KARISE
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:06 pm
You oughta see the pastry and pie section in the big restaurant--your cholesterol can go up 50 points just standin' there . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:23 pm
I ate shoo-fly pie once and almost choked to death.

never saw confectioners sugar before, and breathed in while putting in my mouth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
The Girl and i ate there, and we loved it.

I liked the meat, not so much the rest of it. I still remember the pain of the drive home - I ate waaaaaaaaay too much chicken and beef at that place. The ache under my ribs .... ouchouchouch.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:41 pm
We take visitors to the AMish Good and Plenty where they serve a homemade ketchup that would be comfortable on top of waffles.Its that sweet.

Also, this is the season for dandelion with a hot "sweet n sour" bacon dressing. Again, very sweet.

As far as the issue on "diseases" HS, remember the word does not necessarily imply only germ caused sicknesses , but sicknesses in general. The Amish, for example, have a prevelant congenital disorder called Beilers Disease. Its genetic, just like diabetes or congestive heart failure. Still a sickness, malady, disease.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:53 pm
I briefly worked for a photographer who was doing a year long shoot in an Amish community. I was only there for about three weeks, but ate more sugar in that time period than I would normally eat in three years. I thought I was going to be getting feasts of fresh veggies and free range meats, instead I was served things like apple pie for breakfast with a big glass of sweet tea. They even put sugar in the mashed potatoes. Pork was served with a burnt sugar glaze and every piece of bread came slathered with butter and jam. Diabetes was a problem for the community, but no one seemed to think food was the cause.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:33 pm
typical "plowmans lunch" around here is an apple dumpling all gooey with caramel syrup in a bowl of sweet cream. That is accompanied by a bowl of sweet chicken corn soup.
All things in moderation . I dont know how they keep the kids from bouncing off the walls.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 06:55 am
Sugar in Mashed Potatoes?!

I wonder how they are with salt?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 12:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
It appears that some of the confusion arises because disease is here identified with a morbid condition. Alleged "mental health" conditions can as well be described in terms of trauma as to be described as a morbid condition, as a disease.

And that goes to the heart of the problem, really. To "identify" a developmental "problem," and to brand it a "disease" condition, and then to promote one's brand can be a means to assure one's professional standing and a continued good income. The pharmas can jump in to promote the allegation of such "diseases" as means of peddling their products.

However, i haven't the least hope that anything i can say will clear up the confusion of anyone here who hasn't grasped the problems of definition. If what Throughthelookingglass wrote didn't sink in, i doubt that i could provide any clarification.

Cancer is a morbid condition. The dramatic apparent rise in the incidence and prevalence of cancer was just that, apparent as opposed to real. We don't really have any evidence that the incidence and prevalence of cancer has increased in humans over the last few centuries--we are now better able to identify the morbid condition, which in the past could have fallen into the diagnosis of "consumption," which also included tuberculosis, pneumoconiosis--any of a host of morbid conditions which presented with symptoms of dramatic weight loss, chronic pain, etc.

But these "mental health" conditions, these "new diseases" are not morbid conditions, and can only notionally be considered to be products of trauma. The point which people are missing is that the behaviors which are now being identified as "disease" conditions, and for which pharmaceutical remedies are alleged to be indicated have always been present in the population. I suspect that were there a reliable epidemiological base line established over a long period of time, one could demonstrate that these "disease" conditions are more or less constant in incidence and prevalence. So, just as "consumption" was a morbid condition consistently diagnosed, but which was only a description of superficial observable consequences of any one of several actual morbid conditions--here the behavior of children is being superficially described in terms of mental health "disease," without any reliable diagnostic and prognostic bases, making the "diagnosis" unassailable because unproven and unprovable.

Bottom line from my point of view--there are no "new diseases" here, in exactly the sense that HS uses, but there is a powerful incentive for mental health professionals and the pharmas to promote the idea that there are.

Setanta - tried to edit this so as not to re-post the whole thing, but found nothing that could be cut. Brilliant.

Thank you - and yes, it seems to have worked!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:22 pm
I was talking to a friend today about the book "My Lobotomy" - the memoir of a man whose wicked stepmother arranged for him to have a lobotomy because he was "unruly". Apparently it wasn't all that uncommon.

It made me think of this thread and the sorcery bit.

It really made me wonder how behaviors will be treated in another 50/100/150 years. Will we look back on the current treatments and think "Those people were such idiots! Monsters! Can you believe the things they did?"?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:57 pm
I checked with the Anabaptist Center at Elizabethtown College and they told me that, from their records, autism is NOT a measurable condition among the AMish population in LAncaster County(they had no data on other populations, or the even bigger Amish population in Ohio). The AMish have a whole slew of congenital diseases that autism would be a minor one. Most of the AMish congenital conditions are usually fatal.

As far as autism being a "pop" disease, I beleieve that there is a definable series of genetic markers for the condition.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 09:34 pm
I don't think anyone here has said that autism is a "pop" disease or anything other than very, very, sadly, real.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 04:31 am
Setanta wrote:

What drugs are you saying are promoted to treat autism spectrum disorders?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:02 am
Ritalin was long favored in the United States. There are other drugs which are also in use now, but i can't give you the chemical or trade names, but had sufficient experience of them indirectly when i worked in a family homeless shelter, which was almost 20 years ago now. The problem which i saw with the use of the drugs was that they could be prescribed by nurse-practitioners employed by school districts, and by persons possessing degrees in psychology (often merely bachelor's degrees) who are authorized by law in several states to prescribe drugs for "mental health" disorders. If you want to make the point that i can't narrowly identify the currently popular pharmacopeia, you'll succeed, because i haven't kept in touch with the trade names and chemical names of the popular remedies.

It will not alter that there is an industry of people with dubious qualifications who work in concert with school officials to identify behavioral disorder "diseases" and for which drugs are prescribed for children. Equally, there is an industry of providing drugs for depression in adults, and, once again, the qualifications of those allowed to prescribe are dubious. In Illinois and Ohio, for example, people who are licensed as "mental health practitioners" can prescribe, and all that is required for the licensing is a bachelor's degree in psychology. I do not consider that to be at all the equivalent of a licensed physician, and especially of a licensed psychiatrist, prescribing. It is in the interest of those who work as licensed mental health "professionals" and of the pharmas to promote the diagnosis of such "diseases," and it is far harder to get analgesics for chronic pain resulting from morbid conditions or trauma than it is to get children doped up because they (or are alleged to) cause problems in school.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:43 am
Setanta wrote:
Ritalin was long favored in the United States. There are other drugs which are also in use now, but i can't give you the chemical or trade names, but had sufficient experience of them indirectly when i worked in a family homeless shelter, which was almost 20 years ago now. The problem which i saw with the use of the drugs was that they could be prescribed by nurse-practitioners employed by school districts, and by persons possessing degrees in psychology (often merely bachelor's degrees) who are authorized by law in several states to prescribe drugs for "mental health" disorders. If you want to make the point that i can't narrowly identify the currently popular pharmacopeia, you'll succeed, because i haven't kept in touch with the trade names and chemical names of the popular remedies.

It will not alter that there is an industry of people with dubious qualifications who work in concert with school officials to identify behavioral disorder "diseases" and for which drugs are prescribed for children. Equally, there is an industry of providing drugs for depression in adults, and, once again, the qualifications of those allowed to prescribe are dubious. In Illinois and Ohio, for example, people who are licensed as "mental health practitioners" can prescribe, and all that is required for the licensing is a bachelor's degree in psychology. I do not consider that to be at all the equivalent of a licensed physician, and especially of a licensed psychiatrist, prescribing. It is in the interest of those who work as licensed mental health "professionals" and of the pharmas to promote the diagnosis of such "diseases," and it is far harder to get analgesics for chronic pain resulting from morbid conditions or trauma than it is to get children doped up because they (or are alleged to) cause problems in school.

I have never heard of Ritalin for autism.

Are you mistaking this for ADD/ADHD?

I would be interested to see you substantiate this before I comment further.

I know the US is more drug and diagnosis ridden even than Oz, but I do not see autism spectrum disorders as being as suspect as ADD?ADHD etc.
0 Replies