What's so wrong with being an elitist?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:25 pm
It is not possible that some become politicians out of love of country, or a desire to make things better?

I know, idealistic and all. But still. It should be considered that people could get into politics for other reasons then the personal profit involved.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:27 pm
Re: What's so wrong with being an elitist?
Setanta wrote:
I think you are living in the clouds with that one, Thomas.

Interesting. It's not very often that somebody accuses me of naive idealism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:32 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It is not possible that some become politicians out of love of country, or a desire to make things better?

I suspect that you meant "Is it not possible . . . etc." Yes, it's possible--it's just not probable. For example, in state governments, the pay for elected representatives is so poor that you couldn't support a family decently on it--so your choices are either to find a more lucrative career, or succumb to the blandishments of wealthy and powerful people who wish to find someone to "front" their agenda for them. Keep in mind, that even at the national level, where the pay might be said to be sufficient to decently support a family (maybe even by a couple of thousand dollar suits--although the best suits these days go for $2500 and up)--you would be walking into a situation in which the lobbyists and the manipulators of power have ten, twenty, thirty years or more of experience at the playing the game, and you are a complete novice. (So, for example, this is what i suspect suckered McCain into the Keating scandal--he got blind-sided, he didn't see it coming.)

Don't get me wrong, i don't hate or even mildly despise politicians. We need them, they are the necessary maintenance workers of the social contract. But as with capitalists, they should not be allowed to wander around outside off the leash.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:38 pm
Ooh! There's one for the sigline thread!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:45 pm
Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Ah . . . you bitter old cynic, you . . .
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:46 pm
Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Elitist snob! Laughing
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:52 pm
"elitist"
The word irks my conscience.
Hitler a half backed potatoe had many intellectuals/elitists to uphold his noble cause.
Gandhi a real intelligen person is a half nake fakir..
Most of the Germans are fed up with Hitler and try to understand Gandhi .
Why?

In USA the same case.
Bush had many intellectual luminaries to uphold his views.
Present day image of USA is shattered beyond redemtion.
Why?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:55 pm
Setanta wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Ah . . . you bitter old cynic, you . . .

fishin wrote:

Elitist snob! Laughing

What am I gonna do? I have no guns and no religion, and live among people who are foreigners to me. So I'm clinging to a job near Pennsylvania out of bitterness. Isn't that exactly what Obama was talking about?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:03 pm
Now Thomas, dear, you haven't been in the USA long enough to be bitter yet.

Have you applied for your Bitter American permit? I'm not sure how long the waiting period is, but probably a few months. Come to think of it, have you even applied for US citizenship yet? You must do that first. [size=7](Be sure to read the fine print.)[/size]
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:13 pm
Eva wrote:

Have you applied for your Bitter American permit? I'm not sure how long the waiting list is, but probably a few months. Come to think of it, have you even applied for US citizenship yet? You must do that first. [size=7](Be sure to read the fine print.)[/size]

Didn't have to. The Department of Homeland Security messed up my container from Germany and broke half of my furniture in their customs inspection. Now my American logistics company and their insurance play hide and seek with me, refusing to return my phone calls.

But hey, anything for y'all's homeland security. Different story.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:15 pm
I live in Köln
And I know what is going on here.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:26 pm
Thomas wrote:
Eva wrote:

Have you applied for your Bitter American permit? I'm not sure how long the waiting list is, but probably a few months. Come to think of it, have you even applied for US citizenship yet? You must do that first. [size=7](Be sure to read the fine print.)[/size]

Didn't have to. The Department of Homeland Security messed up my container from Germany and broke half of my furniture in their customs inspection. Now my American logistics company and their insurance play hide and seek with me, refusing to return my phone calls.

But hey, anything for y'all's homeland security. Different story.

We just gave you a head start on the Bitter American permit process. (Hint: If you develop a medical problem, we may be able to expedite your application.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:59 pm
I have broken furniture too, found too late to argue with the moving slime, I mean, company.

Sorry that happened for you, Thomas.

Snob may be just another word for nothing left to.. no, I mean, another word for xenophobia of the closer sort: I don't think of Obama as speaking with any snob thing, but seeing a picture of long time travail in Pennsylvania - which I remember in trouble already when we drove through when I was nine, in the early fifties.

I cheerfully admit to past scorn for the belligerent ignorant, and have pockets of that surviving now. And yes, I know, the belligerent ignorant vary, depending on one's own take.
But.. I've lived long enough now to see my own well worked out clarity in my own mind's view morph, and occasionally morph back.

Personally, I'd like a president with an active brain, but I'll admit that's not fool proof.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 06:04 pm
my respects.
Respects come to those who still hope
although they get disappointment.
Rama
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:11 pm
McCain is exceedingly dishonest and I'm astonished at how many people, even some thinking ones, have been sucked in by the McCain brand of bullshit.

Quote:

The McCain-Lobbyist Connection

Not only does the McCain campaign have more current and former lobbyist bundlers than any other candidate, but McCain has more current and former lobbyists working on his campaign staff than any other candidate in the 2008 presidential election. Media Matters for America has previously catalogued the extensive number of lobbyists and their deep connections to industries, such as the communication and financial industries, which McCain oversaw as chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee.

As the graphic below illustrates, McCain's presidential campaign is chock full of former and current lobbyists. Point your mouse at one of the campaign staffers surrounding McCain to see who they have lobbied for.

http://mediamattersaction.org/freeride/lobbyists/

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:15 pm
Quote:

McCain's Cronies: Busting Media Myths On McCain's Lobbyist Hypocrisy

Politics is a dirty business, at least the way it is played in the Beltway. Pretending that McCain has clean hands when his highest-ranking advisors are shoveling the muck is both illogical and dishonest. And the media knows it. But keeping "Sprinkles" McCain happy is more important to them than ferreting out the whole truth for the public so that we can know exactly what is and is not on the table for the upcoming election cycle.

Take a look at this graphic put together by Media Matters of McCain's lobbyist ties -- and ask yourself why there has been repetitive coverage of bowling and orange juice and tears, and so little coverage of this enormous network of moneyed-lobbyist interest in the campaign of a man who is a self-styled, self-proclaimed anti-lobbyist kinda guy. Hypocrisy, much?

Especially since the media elites have known about these deep McCain/lobbyist ties since the 2000 presidential campaign.

Americans deserve the whole truth -- not just the finger-licking-rib buddy treatment that the media has been giving McCain. Hypocrisy on a signature PR issue ought to be a big story, if the media were functioning properly in its role of asking the tough questions. But, as Media Matters shows, what we've been getting is the rare glimpse of good reporting on these issues surrounded by a whole lot of fluff and nonsense. We deserve better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christy-hardin-smith/mccains-cronies-busting-m_b_97266.html

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 10:03 pm
What has that to do with the thread, JTT?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:58 am
Setanta wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I'm not looking for philosopher kings. Indeed, I said I want to be governed to only a very limited extent at all. But to think there's a rationale for government at all, and not to think that the government should be run by good rather than average people, that's what doesn't make sense to me. And I stand by that.

I have a feeling the founding fathers shared your views.

I doubt that. Upon what evidence to you allege that this were the case? What about the Constitution, for example, mitigates in against mediocrity in government?

Would you say that those that wrote the Constition were not elitists?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 07:01 am
DrewDad wrote:
Setanta wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I'm not looking for philosopher kings. Indeed, I said I want to be governed to only a very limited extent at all. But to think there's a rationale for government at all, and not to think that the government should be run by good rather than average people, that's what doesn't make sense to me. And I stand by that.

I doubt that. Upon what evidence to you allege that this were the case? What about the Constitution, for example, mitigates in against mediocrity in government?

Some were, some weren't.

You haven't answered my question. I just answered yours, but i suspect you actually have no answer to my question.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 07:04 am
Setanta wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Setanta wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Some were, some weren't.

You haven't answered my question. I just answered yours, but i suspect you actually have no answer to my question.

Rolling Eyes

My feelings are not subject to debate.

Dolt.
0 Replies