Ben Stien's new movie EXSPELLED

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 11:28 pm
Actually the adverbial form is "wrongly". :wink:

It is true you have previously (and repeatedly) indicated that the question of origins is one you don't expect physics to answer anytime soon. So I did mischaracterize some statements of yours when I referred to your view that it involved a detail to be determined later. Perhaps my confusion arises from a lack of a clear understanding of just what you do mean, intend or believe here - particularly involving the question of origins. I have seen lots of criticism of various points, some I actually made, some not, but little that is affirmative.

In any event, I'm not undertaking to persuade you.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:15 am
m-w.com wrote:
Main Entry:
3wrong
Function:
adverb
Date:
13th century
1: without accuracy : incorrectly <guessed>2: without regard for what is proper or just <was>3: in a wrong direction <turned>4 a: in an unsuccessful or unfortunate way <something> b: out of working order or condition5: in a false light <don't get me wrong>

askoxford.com wrote:
• adverb 1 in a mistaken or undesirable manner or direction. 2 with an incorrect result.

bartleby.com/61 (American Heritage) wrote:
ADVERB: 1. In a wrong manner; mistakenly or erroneously. 2. In a wrong course or direction. 3. Immorally or unjustly: She acted wrong to lie. 4. In an unfavorable way. See synonyms at amiss.

Yay for rampant pedantry! Very Happy

georgeob1 wrote:
Perhaps my confusion arises from a lack of a clear understanding of just what you do mean, intend or believe here - particularly involving the question of origins. I have seen lots of criticism of various points, some I actually made, some not, but little that is affirmative.

Concerning origins I see ignorance with no solutions. I am open to finding one, but don't expect it. That's really are there is so far as I can tell, so rather than treating it as a void to be filled, I treat it as a point of ignorance where so far all you can really do is point out how little reason people have to stick God, 'first cause', etc in there. I'd love it if someone came up with an actual proof, but don't find it likely Wink.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 01:58 am
Shirakawasuna - Don't bother. If you play the spelling game with trolls, you invest in their tactic of attacking how you say and not what you say.

They like to point out my spelling or typing errors. I just like to observe theirs and chuckle to myself.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 04:17 pm
I like to display massive excesses of pedantry to implicitly drive my point home: it doesn't matter.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 04:42 pm
Shirakawasuna wrote:

Concerning origins I see ignorance with no solutions. I am open to finding one, but don't expect it. That's really are there is so far as I can tell, so rather than treating it as a void to be filled, I treat it as a point of ignorance where so far all you can really do is point out how little reason people have to stick God, 'first cause', etc in there. I'd love it if someone came up with an actual proof, but don't find it likely Wink.

Then perhaps the issue between us boils down to the importance you chose to give to;
Quote:
That's really are there is so far as I can tell, so rather than treating it as a void to be filled, I treat it as a point of ignorance where so far all you can really do is point out how little reason people have to stick God, 'first cause', etc in there.
I take it when you write ".. how little reason people have to stick God, 'first cause', etc in there", you are applying a more or less scientific standard to the question of how much or how little reason people might have. I agree that from a scientific perspective one might find little reason to do so. I do not agree that reason alone compels that proposition. That may be the only difference in our views of the matter.

I am content to leave you in yours.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 01:46 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I take it when you write ".. how little reason people have to stick God, 'first cause', etc in there", you are applying a more or less scientific standard to the question of how much or how little reason people might have.

No, I also accept logic or good philosophical arguments, so far as I can tell. I certainly take no blame if the others are laughably invalid and heck I'd even be open to one if it could be argued well in another way. That's why this is ignorance is something more interesting than a 'void'.

I think it's largely a semantics issue with the void/ignorance thing, but I was getting a strong sense that the word 'void' implied the need to be filled.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 11:25 am
Shirakawasuna wrote:
No, I also accept logic or good philosophical arguments, so far as I can tell. I certainly take no blame if the others are laughably invalid and heck I'd even be open to one if it could be argued well in another way. That's why this is ignorance is something more interesting than a 'void'.

I think it's largely a semantics issue with the void/ignorance thing, but I was getting a strong sense that the word 'void' implied the need to be filled.

I'm not sure where you are attempting to go with this. Are you suggesting that all views that differ from yours are "laughably invalid"?? We appeared to at least be better defining the area in which we disagreed. Are you now reversing that?

I don't understand the meaning of your "That's why this is ignorance...." sentence.

By void I meant empty, the absense of anything. Whether one believes it should be filled is a matter of choice. I find it difficult to understand why one, with no expectation that science might one day fill it, might prefer to leave it unfilled. However, that is but my own perception. (I also find it hard to conceive that science can possibly fill it.)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 11:58 am
georgeob1 wrote:
I find it difficult to understand why one, with no expectation that science might one day fill it, might prefer to leave it unfilled. However, that is but my own perception. (I also find it hard to conceive that science can possibly fill it.)

Why the heck did I think that you had a fertile imagination, George? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 12:05 pm
Francis wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
I find it difficult to understand why one, with no expectation that science might one day fill it, might prefer to leave it unfilled. However, that is but my own perception. (I also find it hard to conceive that science can possibly fill it.)

Why the heck did I think that you had a fertile imagination, George? Twisted Evil

Actually, I believe I do have such powers, Francis -- your first impression was probably correct.

However I am quite willing to read/hear your argument for the likelihood of science eventually providijng us such an explanation.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 12:21 pm
I'd like to do that too, George.

But, as I said already on another thread, I'm denied such ability.

Were I to try the complete inventory of the numerous possibilities of an explanation of the origines, my poor choice of words and my atrocious grammar would prevent the readers from fully comprehend the real nature of my purpose.

As such, I give up, with regret nonetheless.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 12:53 pm
That's OK. I'll simply note it as something which you believe, but haven't the will or energy to express. To some extent that applies to me as well.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 04:34 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I'm not sure where you are attempting to go with this. Are you suggesting that all views that differ from yours are "laughably invalid"?? We appeared to at least be better defining the area in which we disagreed. Are you now reversing that?

Where did I suggest that? You just seem to be reading your biases into this like you did earlier with what my idea of "ignorance" was. Do you not recognize that there are laughably invalid arguments for things concerning this particular ignorance? Have you ever heard of the cosmological argument?

georgeob1 wrote:
I don't understand the meaning of your "That's why this is ignorance...." sentence.

Yeah, there's an extra 'is' in there. Here's how it's supposed to read:
That's why this ignorance is something more interesting than a 'void'.

georgeob1 wrote:
By void I meant empty, the absense of anything. Whether one believes it should be filled is a matter of choice. I find it difficult to understand why one, with no expectation that science might one day fill it, might prefer to leave it unfilled. However, that is but my own perception. (I also find it hard to conceive that science can possibly fill it.)

Then that sense I was picking up was pretty accurate, wasn't it? You're attempting to differentiate the technical meaning of your statement from how you personally would deal with it, but I think that's biased your terminology. The term you want is 'ignorance' or 'interesting philosophical situation'. By "filling" it you mean putting an answer in there with apparently no requirement of logical proof, evidence, etc. If I'm wrong, please show me specifically where I've erred in your own personal views. Just like my prediction of how your terminology has biased (or been biased by?) how you deal with it turned out pretty good, I expect this one would as well.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 04:37 pm
Shirakawasuna wrote:
[
Where did I suggest that? You just seem to be reading your biases into this like you did earlier with what my idea of "ignorance" was. Do you not recognize that there are laughably invalid arguments for things concerning this particular ignorance? Have you ever heard of the cosmological argument?
l.

Interesting. That is how I see you.

Your insights are certainly good enough to confirm your prejudgments. However, that's axiomatic.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:27 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Interesting. That is how I see you.

See, I've explained my reasoning on all of these points. You simply assert what I think and give little support for it. That would be the difference Wink.

So, where did I suggest that all views different from mine are "laughably invalid"? You know that I've explicitly said otherwise, right? This is one of the reasons I compared it to the deal with you asserting my ideas on "ignorance": not only were those assertions unsupported by anything I had said, they directly contradicted what I had said not so long before.

georgeob1 wrote:
Your insights are certainly good enough to confirm your prejudgments. However, that's axiomatic.

A rather short reply considering my explanations and support. I suppose I should stop expecting what is reasonable, though.

I must wonder what your point here is. I am attempting to explain how your repeated misrepresentation of my points is wrong and there is really only one source of disagreement besides that repeated abuse: the necessity or reasonableness of putting "answers" in that 'hole' of ignorance.

It's something you don't seem to want to get into.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 02:20 am
I say again....

This movie is an absolute don't-miss; aside from everything else, it provides a definitive answer to the question, "Is there such a thing as an idiot with a 180 IQ (Dawkins)?"
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:10 am
??
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:26 am
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:

In a piece written for Edge, Shaprio goes on to say this:

http://www.edge.org/q2006/q06_9.html#shapiro
ROBERT SHAPIRO
Professor Emeritus, Senior Research Scientist, Department of Chemistry, New York University. Author, Planetary Dreams

Quote:
We shall understand the origin of life within the next 5 years

I wonder when he wrote that? Do we still have 5 years to go, or are we almost there?

I'm anxious to know how natural chemistry led to the precursors of replicative molecules (and eventually, life).
Send him an email. [email protected]

Maybe I can get him to join our thread.

But the last time I convinced a real scientist to join our discussion, he read the thread and saw some spendi posts and decided we were all a bunch of fruitcakes. I don't want to go through that again.
I sent him the email and he answered. The article was written in 2005.

This could be interesting, though the article was offered as speculative.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 08:34 am
neologist wrote:
I sent him the email and he answered. The article was written in 2005.

This could be interesting, though the article was offered as speculative.

I hope you have better luck than I did.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 02:52 pm
gungasnake wrote:
I say again....

This movie is an absolute don't-miss; aside from everything else, it provides a definitive answer to the question, "Is there such a thing as an idiot with a 180 IQ (Dawkins)?"

OK, I get it now. At first I thought you were georgeob1 and didn't understand what the heck he'd be going on about Wink.

I wonder why you thought insulting Dawkins in such an infantile manner needed repetition...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:16 am
Another British academic describes (in the film) Dawkins as

Quote:

...a kind of a reptile, but a terribly bright fellow...

If Chuck Darwin had never lived, Dawkins' life might have been differernt; he might have put the 180 IQ to some rational use and made some sort of a contribution to the world.
0 Replies