Ben Stien's new movie EXSPELLED

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 08:54 am
Shirakawasuna wrote:
. . . Aren't you tired of misrepresenting me . . .
Gasp!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 09:09 am
farmerman wrote:
The film has quietly faded into the woodwork. I think that multidisciplanary programs at several Universities will do more to keep it in memory than will the very IDjits who filmed it.
It'll never replace Indiana Jones.

Nevertheless, the snobbish certainty of some of the players is classic.

BTW, I personally believe the creation idea should be open to free discussion in the philosophy department. Or comparitive religion - or history.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:06 am
neologist wrote:
BTW, I personally believe the creation idea should be open to free discussion in the philosophy department. Or comparitive religion - or history.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and offer a pretty wild suggestion... how 'bout we discuss philosophy in philosophy class, history in history class, various religions in comparative religion class and science in science class.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:54 am
Creation and other religious topics have topical signifigance in all the fields, but the nature of discussion would not appropriately be the same.

To the history teacher, the Genesis account might be valuable in the context of recorded history.

To the philosopher, perhaps in the chicken and egg discussion.

I had not read any of the bible until I considered the book of Job as literature in an English class.

Etc.

But this is the S&R forum. . .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 12:44 pm
neologist wrote:
Creation and other religious topics have topical signifigance in all the fields,

But not in all classes. Education needs to cover the priority coursework, and in pre-college that almost certainly means sticking to the basics (since there is barely enough time to cover even that).

neologist wrote:
To the history teacher, the Genesis account might be valuable in the context of recorded history.

The Genesis account is not recorded history, it's recorded mythology. It fits into history class the same way that the Greek gods fit into Greek history.

neologist wrote:
I had not read any of the bible until I considered the book of Job as literature in an English class.

The same could be said for almost any document. The bible is not unique in its significance, ask the Muslims or the Taoists.

neologist wrote:

If it weren't for the Creationists trying to push their way into science classes we wouldn't even be having these discussions. Nobody is complaining about philosophy class or history class or even comparative religion.

The core problem here is that a certain group of religious people can not accept the scientific fact of evolution into their world view, but rather than simply keep the problem to themselves, they are trying to block particular scientific knowledge (evolution just happens to be the one they don't like) from being exposed to ALL public school kids (not even just their own kids).

Nobody is worried about the non-science classes, simply because that is not where the attack is occurring.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 12:54 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

The core problem here is that a certain group of religious people can not accept the scientific fact of evolution into their world view,......

What scientific fact??
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 01:12 pm
gungasnake wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

The core problem here is that a certain group of religious people can not accept the scientific fact of evolution into their world view,......

What scientific fact??

What sun? I don't see a sun. Gravity, what's that? Scientists are idiots, all they do is study all the time. Morons.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 05:33 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Creation and other religious topics have topical signifigance in all the fields,

But not in all classes. Education needs to cover the priority coursework, and in pre-college that almost certainly means sticking to the basics (since there is barely enough time to cover even that).

neologist wrote:

The Genesis account is not recorded history, it's recorded mythology. It fits into history class the same way that the Greek gods fit into Greek history.

neologist wrote:

The same could be said for almost any document. The bible is not unique in its significance, ask the Muslims or the Taoists.

neologist wrote:

If it weren't for the Creationists trying to push their way into science classes we wouldn't even be having these discussions. Nobody is complaining about philosophy class or history class or even comparative religion.

The core problem here is that a certain group of religious people can not accept the scientific fact of evolution into their world view, but rather than simply keep the problem to themselves, they are trying to block particular scientific knowledge (evolution just happens to be the one they don't like) from being exposed to ALL public school kids (not even just their own kids).

Nobody is worried about the non-science classes, simply because that is not where the attack is occurring.
I am with you part way on this. I have already posted my 'what is fact?' question on several forums and it is obvious that my conception of 'fact' differs from others.

Nevertheless, I am still amused by the sophistic certainty some profess (on both sides of the fence)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 07:55 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

What scientific fact??

What sun? I don't see a sun. Gravity, what's that? Scientists are idiots, all they do is study all the time. Morons.

The biggest group of people percentage wise who reject evoloserism is mathematicians; evolution is basically incompatible with modern mathematics and probability theory.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:23 pm
So says the snake oil salesman...

Mathmatics nor Statistics is in conflict with evolution.

T
K
O
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:07 am
gungasnake wrote:
The biggest group of people percentage wise who reject evoloserism is mathematicians; evolution is basically incompatible with modern mathematics and probability theory.

That's just flat wrong. The opposite is actually true.

Given that evolution is simply the accumulation of genetic change in populations resulting from variation and selection, it's practically inevitable.

The biggest group of people percentage wise who reject evolution are the ones who don't understand it.

Let's pick someone at random.... oh... let's say... YOU for example.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 12:28 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and offer a pretty wild suggestion... how 'bout we discuss philosophy in philosophy class, history in history class, various religions in comparative religion class and science in science class.

What do they discuss in the staff room?
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 03:29 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Actually I have tried fairly hard to grasp your central meaning here. It wasn't until I finally figured out that you were playing a game of gotcha and one up, that I realized you weren't seriously discussing the subject at hand, and were instead looking for some kind of juvenile satisfaction in a contest. I don't fault you particularly for that, however, I am not interested in the game.

lol, and your conclusion is completely wrong. The fact that I reply often and often to the entirety of posts does not mean I'm centering on some kind of cheap "gotcha" game, as I fully support my points and follow them up when challenged. It just so happens to be the case that substance (of argument) is often lacking for certain people to whom I'm replying (I'm very subtle), so rather terse answers are sometimes all that seems to be warranted.

If you'd like to test your idea out, return to the topic we were discussing concerning ultimate origins. I am entirely willing to explain precisely what I mean and why I think it is the most reasonable position. I suppose I will only get fluff and accusations in return, much like the last multiple exchanges I've had with you and neologist (and which I met in kind, as that's what such things usually deserve).

georgeob1 wrote:
Finally, I will readily concede your superiority in the pettiness department.

Nah, I'm not petty. I'm just good at using petty statements. Thanks for the indirect insult, though! It's not playing a "gotcha" game at all Wink. Remember that you can actually address the topic of this thread and my posts not in response to petty nonsense if you have any complaints in that department.

Hey, maybe you can take up neologist's position! He and gungasnake have been having fun vaguely implying Dawkins to be saying some silly things, which they follow up with.... hmm. Nothing.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 03:38 am
gungasnake wrote:

Wow, where to begin...

If the second half was meant to be implied from the first, you've both 1) concentrated your effort on an argument from authority and 2) clearly misstated what must be your actual sentiment, because we all know that *mathematicians* are not the biggest *group* of people rejecting evolution. Have you tried checking the numbers for the general public? How about Southern Baptist ministers? I personally have no numbers for mathematicians, but I somewhat doubt they're as high as you say.

Now, if the second half is meant to stand on its own, I'd like to see you argue it. How is evolution in any way incompatible with modern mathematics and probability theory? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably don't actually know but will do your best to parrot some Fred Hoyle statements.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 05:32 am
gunga
Quote:

A small minority of mathematicians have expressed doubt based upon statistical sets. To this they totally ignore the available data in their thinking. Just because they are incompetent to fail to take data into their deliberations doesnt elevate them to any level of credibility. In fact , it does just the opposite.

Gunga is easily impressed with selective thinking and serial ignorance.
The ID mathematicians, like Bill DEmbski, actually accept evolution and descent with modification. He merely wishes to insert a deity in convenient "decision nodes" consistent with his information theories. IS gunga a "Young Earther"? , an "Old EArther?" or an "Old Earth IDjit"?

To state that"The biggest group of people percentage wise who reject evoloserism is mathematicians; evolution is basically incompatible with modern mathematics and probability theory"...displays a complete lack of understanding of both math and evolution. Might I suggest that gunga, or anyone else so inclined , read Martin NowacksEVOLUTIONARY DYNAMICS_The Equations of Life". Youll discover how mathematics plays a key rtole in evolutionary and developmental theory.

Im sure gunga doesnt engage in normal scientific discourse where new information supplants old "hard felt" beliefs. However, to claim a scientific basis of his own belief, which carefully ignores the very core information of science itself, Is really hypocritical. Dont you think?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:05 am
gungasnake wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

What scientific fact??

Of course, most mathematicians like gunga make up their statistics.

Real mathematicians understand probability theory.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:06 am
I think gunga is basing his statement on this guy ...
http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2007/11/breaking-news-mathematicians-dont.html

Who as it turns out isn't really a mathematician. He only plays one at the Discovery Institute.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 08:09 am
Im not sure that gunga follows the Discovery Institute, I believe that gunga rejects ANY part of evolutionary thinking while the ID gang does accept it, under certain constricts
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 10:28 am
Shirakawasuna wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
Actually I have tried fairly hard to grasp your central meaning here. It wasn't until I finally figured out that you were playing a game of gotcha and one up, that I realized you weren't seriously discussing the subject at hand, and were instead looking for some kind of juvenile satisfaction in a contest. I don't fault you particularly for that, however, I am not interested in the game.

lol, and your conclusion is completely wrong. The fact that I reply often and often to the entirety of posts does not mean I'm centering on some kind of cheap "gotcha" game, as I fully support my points and follow them up when challenged.

Let me see if I've got this right: You are not playing a juvenile 'gotcha" game here and the proof of that assertion is that you provide complete arguments to back up each "gotcha" (though they don't look so complete to me). Hmmm
Shirakawasuna wrote:
It just so happens to be the case that substance (of argument) is often lacking for certain people to whom I'm replying (I'm very subtle), so rather terse answers are sometimes all that seems to be warranted.
Are the arguments "terse" or "fully supported"? - you can't have it both ways.

Shirakawasuna wrote:
If you'd like to test your idea out, return to the topic we were discussing concerning ultimate origins. I am entirely willing to explain precisely what I mean and why I think it is the most reasonable position. I suppose I will only get fluff and accusations in return, much like the last multiple exchanges I've had with you and neologist (and which I met in kind, as that's what such things usually deserve).
You overestimate the appeal of your rhetoric. While I once supposed that a sympathetic comparison of ideas and points of view with you was a possibility, I now realize that it is not. You are really interested only in a display of virtuosity on your part and one judged only by standards you set (and readjust as becomes necessary). In short, you are an overbearing, self-obsessed bore.

I have no interest in that game and find very little that is new or insightful in your commentary.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2008 03:10 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Let me see if I've got this right: You are not playing a juvenile 'gotcha" game here and the proof of that assertion is that you provide complete arguments to back up each "gotcha" (though they don't look so complete to me). Hmmm

Uh, no, it's because writing full responses and backing them up with support is not playing a "gotcha" game, it's called argumentation combined with basic decency. I would suppose your idea of a "gotcha game" is so loose that you extend it to such things? If that's the case, I wonder why you would imply it to be something vaguely negative.

georgeob1 wrote:
Are the arguments "terse" or "fully supported"? - you can't have it both ways.

A little bit of rereading my post will fix that for you. Notice the condition supporting my arguments applied to: being challenged. As it turns out, I've learned that immediately going into an in-depth explanation is often a worthless activity if the person one is talking to doesn't care anyways. This is common for "hit-and-run" posts or one's like neologist's or gungasnake's recent ones about Dawkins. They're just having some petty fun, there's no need for me to start guessing at what they think supports their arguments and to detail how Dawkins isn't those things, etc. I point out that I've never seen what they have and that if they disagree with my opinion, I'd appreciate seeing their evidence.

georgeob1 wrote:
You overestimate the appeal of your rhetoric.

lol, when did I say it was appealing, as in generally appealing? I fully expect various people to dismiss my arguments, legitimately and illegitimately. I expect this to be the case most often with the topics I generally post in as well, as there's often a bit of arrogance involved in the issues.

georgeob1 wrote:
While I once supposed that a sympathetic comparison of ideas and points of view with you was a possibility, I now realize that it is not. You are really interested only in a display of virtuosity on your part and one judged only by standards you set (and readjust as becomes necessary). In short, you are an overbearing, self-obsessed bore.

lol, this is nonsense. Quote me being an overbearing, self-obsessed bore. I don't care one whit for display either, in some kind of egotistical fashion: I argue in order to organize my own thoughts and perhaps peripherally convince someone of my opinions, or make them think a bit differently. I most definitely don't expect *you* to care enough to read them and treat them fairly.

Oh, but that would just be an attempt to make myself look virtuous, wouldn't it? What a nice little system of personal attack you have set up: it never fails, even when wrong! Wink If I defend myself and point out your failures in attacking me or my arguments, I'm being a self-obsessed bore intent on making myself look 'virtuous'.

georgeob1 wrote:
I have no interest in that game and find very little that is new or insightful in your commentary.

Good, now how about we play the game I've actually proposed rather than your rather insulting straw man of my goals and opinions? Choose a topic, say one of those ones you've dropped out on with me, and finish it. It would be a way for you to substantiate your claims about me supposedly just playing a "gotcha" game, a thesis to which you are clinging but have yet to supply any evidence whatsoever for (nor a clear description, considering your responses to my defenses).

Or you could do that another way Wink. Or you could pretend that you have a reasonable and substantiated opinion and blow me off, which is most likely what you'll do Very Happy. (oh no, I'm being an egotistical jerk again! Everyone look at me and love my opinions!)
0 Replies