2 Weeks before W-Day and All Hell Breaks Loose

MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 01:42 pm
Linkat wrote:
Did you try a restaurant in the area? Even if they don't have a function room, they may be willing to sort of set up an area for you. We did this for our rehearsel dinner. Instead of getting a function room we went to the nearby Bertuccis. They were so accomdating. There was an open area that was away from the main dining room, that they set up for us. We were able to order from their catering menu as well. They did not charge us a separate hall/function rental fee either - all they charged us for was the food/drinks.

We already have cold food trays on order at a nearby deli shop. Depending on where we can find availability may determine if we need to cancel the order (and forgo our deposit). If I can, I'd really like to find someplace where I won't have to do that though.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 07:13 pm
it gets better....

I called to confirm full room reservations and found out that apparently they booked someone else into the Suite for the intended night. Had it there for Friday but not Saturday. Yeah...some of you told me so. You were right!

Yipe....things are still in the works but with a revised plan for the reception. We already have dinner reservations at a pricey resturant at 6 PM so we are forgoing the dessert reception for dinner reception. As long as we can keep the wine tab from getting out of hand. >.< I don't much like having so much time between the ceremony (2PM) and the reception but I don't want to make a bunch of changes this close to the big day....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 03:24 am
Set a limit for the bar. A dollar limit. The venue should be able to calculate as drinks are served. once the limit is reached its up to the guests.

Another thing to limit is he type/brand of alcohol. Wine and beer only with an upper limit on the value of bottles of wine or something similar.

That accomadation venue is a doozy. I wonder if they ar pulling a swifty. ie take a booking at a discounted rate to ensure patronage then if someone else is willing to pay premium rate for the same period ditch the discount customer.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 04:51 am
If it is any consolation to you:

All this you will look back to in a few year's time and think it's hillarious.
We got lost on the way to our wedding, and now I think that is the funniest thing EVER!!!

As for the bar limit!
I only encountered that once.
My brother-in-law got married, and my husband (his brother) was the best man.
I was there without any money (what the hell for, I am invited to a wedding), my husband was gone for half the afternoon on photo sessions, where none of the other guests were involved, I hardly knew any one, and all of a sudden I could not even get a drink any more.

Need I say more to justify calling this my worst wedding ever?
We spend a fortune on flight, hotel room and gifts, and then the couple was too cheap to pay for our drinks!

My view: If you cannot afford the guests, make the party smaller!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 04:58 am
Uh, Bohne, the invitations have already gone out; it's the venue that's being the problem, not the couple.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 10:13 am
Dadpad: A dollar limit it is.

For estimation purposes do you think roughly 2-3 per person is appropriate?

Bohne: Thanks for the persepective check. Compared to my freak out last week, my finance and I are handling the stress fairly well. Although we have come down with head colds (oh boy). This will definately be something we'll be glad when it's over. Smile

Update: Using my friendly powers of persuasion, the hotel is looking to see if the people in the Grand Suite for Saturday will switch to a different one in the hotel. *keeping my fingers crossed* I may have to give up one of my other rooms I have reserved for it so in the meantime I had to find rooms for 4 people for somewhere else in town because the hotel is full. >.< Seems I was wrong about it being their slow time of year.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 10:29 am
Bohne - I think this depends on the culture and this can vary even throughout the US. In some areas, cash bar is what is expected at a wedding reception. In others, it would be unheard of to ask some one to pay for their drinks. I suggest a compromise; just have a certain number of bottles brought to the table instead having a price limit. Most people now have at least a bank or credit card that could be used to purchase drinks. When I planned my wedding reception, the woman helping us organize actually suggested not having an open bar as you then become legally obligated if anyone drinks and drives.

I think if it is common in your area to have a cash bar and under your situation, people would understand. Good luck and keep us informed.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 11:02 am
Linkat: You make some great points. Thankfully most of the guest list is family and very close friends and some do not drink at all. I'm sure they have some idea what we can afford and won't go too crazy. Most of the guests won't need to travel anywhere after dinner. Those who are not staying in the hotel, are within walking distance. This is one of the things we considered when we booked the venue. There is a nice walk down the hill which goes through the park where he proposed to me so they will get a subtle sense of many of the things we like about the town.

Bohne: No worries on the guest list. We are fully prepared to pay for their entire dinner, drinks, dessert, etc. We kept it within our means, even if things went wrong. Smile
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 08:42 pm
Count down....3 days to W-day....

All guests have rooms to sleep in the hotel except 3. Those have been given rooms down at a local bed and breakfast. Phew. Crisis Resolved

No resolution on obtaining the suite for Saturday. Check out time is normally noon but I will have the room until 2:00 PM.. Bride has a place to shower and get ready. Phew Crisis Resolved.

Dessert reception changed to dinner reception. Reservations Confirmed. Phew.

Welcome bags. Put together.

Officiant time/date/location confirmed.

Guest museum passes purchased.

Wedding Cake = Brownies MMMMMMM

Think I have it all covered.

As long as the groom shows up I'm set!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:29 pm
MagicBlackCat wrote:
Count down....3 days to W-day....

Think I have it all covered.

Famous last words.

Best of luck for your special day and the rest of your life.

The hard work starts now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:46 pm
Wise man, that dadpad.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 02:28 am
[quote="MagicBlackCat"]Count down....3 days to W-day....[/quote]

Will be thinking of you!
Two days after our anniversary (this year for the first time without my husband, who won't be back till April!)

You'll see, everything will be perfect, and all the effort and problems you solved will make it even more special!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 10:59 am
Every bride gets the picture book/photograph album that she's earned.

You've accomplished several small miracles. Good for you--and a good omen for your future.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 12:20 pm
Every wedding has something in it that goes wrong. You've already had yours, and in spades. It'll be a great day. Smile
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:19 pm
Thanks for everyone's comments! Now that some of the problems are behind me I'm setting the attitude that it is quite likely other things are going to go wrong but I'm going to remain flexible and smile and enjoy the company of my guests.

Dadpad: Heh - I thought that the minute I typed them. I'll keep your advice in mind as the next days are so filled with packing and setting up. I suspect though you are talking more about married life. Very Happy
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 01:05 pm
Thanks to all for your wishes and advice!

Update:

The weather was beautiful, the groom was handsome and the day went off without (WITH) a hitch. Very Happy Success!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 01:37 pm
Congratulations, MagicBlackCat! Welcome to married life! :-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 03:03 pm
Wonderful!
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 01:43 am
Congratulations!!!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 01:44 pm
Congratulations!

Jerome is such a great place I am sure that even with the issues you had your guests enjoyed it immensely!

Sounds like it worked out just fine Smile
0 Replies