Carter and Gore to Tell Hillary to Get Out?

Mame

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 03:50 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I think I'd be surprised if ... Hillary Clinton would listen.

Yep, I agree with this part.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 03:51 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
Carter and Gore to Tell Hillary to Get Out?

XXX, I hope you and other Dems don't listen to Carter and Gore.
Hillary will be nominated and then she will loose to McCain.
Let it be said - let it be done.

You are going to eat your words very soon.
Luckily you've got lots of water to go along with it Very Happy

Hi CJ!

I do have plenty of cool clean water, but it will be used to toast McCain's inauguration Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 04:04 pm
But maybe the point isn't for Hillary to listen, but the superdelegates to listen..

(I don't get superdelates, I barely understand delegates, however long term their roles in history. But given this is how it is...)

And if I were somehow a superdelegate, I might not want to be pushed, and I assume they are all being pushed. Seems a peculiar way for a country to decide, based on some apparent superior individuals - what? - over regular peoples' votes. Sorta like a junta. All this fear of mob rule.. goes on and on.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 05:56 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I think I'd be surprised if Carter and Gore acted and Hillary Clinton would listen.

She will fight up to the last second, that's for sure!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:33 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
I think I'd be surprised if Carter and Gore acted and Hillary Clinton would listen.

i certainly hope so. nobody has the right to tell her to drop out.

i mean, wtf... what are obama's supporters so worried about ? that she might actually pull it off and be the nominee ?

the whole thing is really pretty silly. real high school sh*t.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:42 pm
word.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 08:37 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i mean, wtf... what are obama's supporters so worried about ? that she might actually pull it off and be the nominee ?

I think they (those who want her to withdraw) are worried that the long nasty fight will make both candidates very unappealing in the general election thereby ensuring defeat in November.

I don't happen to agree with that, though, because I think Obama (who I support, full disclaimer) is getting good practice and honing his responses. Hillary is doing her part by attacking exactly as the Republicans would and embracing their arguments (and arguably some of their tactics). This allows Obama to figure out the best way to deal with those attacks and also saps some of the power from them should McCain try to dredge them up again. That's if Obama gets the nomination.

If Hillary wins the nomination then there is the possibility that she's hurting herself by campaigning the way she has, but I don't think that means she should quit.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 08:52 pm
Gore is a person who got Noble prize like his counterpart Carter.
Carter during his regime had failed miserably like Gore had miserably failed to expose the ecection manipulation in 2000.
Either they should regret their parts in politics or should keep aloof.
NOble prize is not the main qualification.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:49 pm
Jimmy Carter?

Oh, I hope that Dems take LOTS of advice from Jimmy Carter.

What a wonderful first term he had, ending with 20% interest rates.

And Jimmy's second term was such a great time in American history. He's got a lot to teach about winning elections when it counts. Laughing

Al Gore is a political treasure too. The man couldn't even win his own home state in his presidential bid.

Yeah, I hope Dems listen to these clowns. A lot. Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:56 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

I think they (those who want her to withdraw) are worried that the long nasty fight will make both candidates very unappealing in the general election thereby ensuring defeat in November.

I don't happen to agree with that, though, because I think Obama (who I support, full disclaimer) is getting good practice and honing his responses. Hillary is doing her part by attacking exactly as the Republicans would and embracing their arguments (and arguably some of their tactics). This allows Obama to figure out the best way to deal with those attacks and also saps some of the power from them should McCain try to dredge them up again. That's if Obama gets the nomination.

If Hillary wins the nomination then there is the possibility that she's hurting herself by campaigning the way she has, but I don't think that means she should quit.

fairly pragmatic, ducky. i like it.

dunno about it making them unappealing. at least not to me. just cause rove is not in the spot light does not mean that he's not back there behind the curtain polishing and oiling the levers of the gop.

anyone who thinks that the gopsters will abandon "politics as usual" is not living reality. i think that it will be even stronger than in '04.

which ever dem gets the nomination better be tuff as nails and ready to hit harder, faster and without exception.

i cannot take another wimpy, mueling campaign like the one kerry ran.

this is serious ****. if the hard right that has taken control of the gop scores another 1-2 terms, the democratic party is gonna be finished for quite a long time. maybe even permanantly.

can't you just see a few of those who we do not name dancing a freakin' jig over that sentence?

that's what we're talkin' about here.

and that, is far less appealing to me as a non-democratic centrist than a prolonged primary and a few primary cuts that aren't even deep enough to require stitches.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:13 pm
real life wrote:
Jimmy Carter?

And Jimmy's second term was such a great time in American history. He's got a lot to teach about winning elections when it counts. Laughing

Al Gore is a political treasure too. The man couldn't even win his own home state in his presidential bid.

Yeah just like you hope Obama is the nominee, huh?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:49 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

i certainly hope so. nobody has the right to tell her to drop out.

the whole thing is really pretty silly. real high school sh*t.

Did you read my next post?

I'm no hysteric obama supporter, though he's my present choice.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:56 pm
wasn't pointing any fingers. at least not in your direction.

my comments were general regarding those who have been running around being quite un-democracy-ish. (is that even a word??)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:58 pm
OK, I'll back off. Fluffs sleeves.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 05:31 am
I'd love for the nominee to be decided soon.

The main reason I'd like it to happen soon is because the longer the Dems have two candidates who are fighting each other (especially when one is doing things like saying that she and McCain have passed the "Commander in Chief threshold" while Obama hasn't), the bigger of a head start we give McCain.

He's been getting a relative pass as the Dem fight remains the big story. Obama has had to fend off attacks from two fronts instead of just focusing on McCain. And the continuing acrimony has cemented Democratic positions that were previously more fluid; that is, while Dem voters tended to like both Dem choices Jan-Feb or so (voted for one but liked the other a lot too), many of them now tend to have strong preferences for one to the point of saying they'd rather vote for McCain than the other (this seems unlikely to be a sentiment that lasts until November -- but the more time between the decision re: a Dem nominee and November, the better).

HOWEVER -- I think the only way it will work is if it has become clear that Hillary is not going to win. More clear than it is now. That may not happen until all the primary votes have been counted (that is, June 4th or so, after the last primaries on June 3rd), but I'm certainly hoping it'll happen before the convention in August.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 05:50 am
snood wrote:
real life wrote:
Jimmy Carter?

Yeah just like you hope Obama is the nominee, huh?

Believe me snood, if Obama wins in November, he will receive far more respect and loyalty from me than GWB ever received from Dems.

But seriously, Jimmy Carter and Al Gore?

The Dems have a man who engineered two wins in a presidential race and remained unusually popular at the end of his terms. And they won't listen to him.

His name is Bill Clinton.

Do the Dems have a death wish?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:45 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
which of course would "go over like a fart in a space suit". Very Happy

Good one, My Favorite DontTreadOnMe...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:49 am
I've always been fond of "Getting over like a pregnant pole vaulter" myself....
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 11:54 am
fishin wrote:
Both Gore and Carter are also superdelegates, are fairly well respected within the party and neither has anything to fear as far as political backlash if they step in and push the issue with her.

If Dean or someone like Pelosi spoke up and pushed it they'd have to fear the loss of Clinton's supporters for any future fund-raising and they possibly lose any of Clinton's supporters in future in-party politics (or have voters defect to Nadar in the General election...). Carter and Gore don't have to be concerned with that stuff so they are in a better position to push without creating in-party turmoil down the road.

All this makes sense-- up to a point. Regardless of their super delegate status, the best possible thing these two men could do is keep their mouths shut and voice their support by pushing the lever for Obama.

As accomplished as they are, they are political liabilities to the Democratic party, and far more effective as private citizens.

And it's a good thing Dean will keep his mouth shut-- as far as I'm concerned he's a liability too.

Bill Clinton seems to be doing the best job in reversing his wife's good fortune.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 12:23 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Gala, not busting your chops. Just looking for the superdelegates to break for Obama and end this race.

Got it. Eliott (sp) Spitzer was a Clinton supporter.
0 Replies