"History will not judge this kindly" - torture OKed from top

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 05:35 pm
Crucifing a camel driver ( JESUS) was not torture.
Torture according the Germon Pope is not the subject..
Dalai lama has no view about Torture.

Hindu's are torturing the persons of Indian origin..
Spread not the god.
Take your lovely dog
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:08 am
The hottest fires in hell are reserved for those who remain neutral in times of moral crisis.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
(Edmund Burke)

[Occom Bill's signature line]

It's time to step up to the plate, Bill.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 08:17 pm
if Torture is not modern US culture what else?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:21 am
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:
Again...what are the chances that any such document or written policy would be released by this administration when the legal jeopardy of those involved is so clearly in question? Not to mention the PR repercussions for administration and party. As with each related revelation (Abu Ghraib photos, the Torture Memos, etc) which now provide us with a real if partial picture of what went on leading up to the approval for and committment of torture of prisoners, we have and will learn of these matters not via the administration but in spite of the administrations attempts to bury every detail.

Even if you're right about this, it still leaves you blaming Mr. Bush for something you have virtually no evidence that he really did.

What, for you, would constitute adequate evidence?

I'm only pointing out that if you have no real evidence that he approved anything improper related to interrogation, you may be suspicious, but have no actual grounds for blaming him. Sufficient evidence would be a document approved by the executive branch, laying out theground rules for interrogation and containing authorization to do something immoral.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:22 am
rabel22 wrote:
I would venture to say that if Bush himself told him he had ok'd the waterboarding he would refuse to believe him.

No, I'd absolutely believe that, and would also believe any government document authorizing an improper form of interrogation. I do not, however, consider suspicion and innuendo alone sufficient evidence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:24 am
blatham wrote:
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:
Again...what are the chances that any such document or written policy would be released by this administration when the legal jeopardy of those involved is so clearly in question? Not to mention the PR repercussions for administration and party. As with each related revelation (Abu Ghraib photos, the Torture Memos, etc) which now provide us with a real if partial picture of what went on leading up to the approval for and committment of torture of prisoners, we have and will learn of these matters not via the administration but in spite of the administrations attempts to bury every detail.

Even if you're right about this, it still leaves you blaming Mr. Bush for something you have virtually no evidence that he really did.

Addendum question to you Brandon...

Would you support the call for an Independent Prosecutor to look into this matter?

Possibly, if it weren't going to be a Kenneth Starr type witch hunt, but I would need at least one piece of evidence that Mr. Bush probably authorized torture before considering such a prosecutor appropriate. I can't see authorizing one based only on unsupported rumors by his enemies.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 06:05 am
"History will not judge this kindly" - Terrorist torture passengers on 3 planes before crashing them and killing all of them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:31 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:

Would you support the call for an Independent Prosecutor to look into this matter?

Possibly, if it weren't going to be a Kenneth Starr type witch hunt, but I would need at least one piece of evidence that Mr. Bush probably authorized torture before considering such a prosecutor appropriate. I can't see authorizing one based only on unsupported rumors by his enemies.

Except, that as soon as any such charge is forwarded, the forwarder, regardless of who he is or how well placed, becomes 'his enemy'.

And regardless of whether Bush himself signed such a document, an investigation would be fully warranted if torture was planned and approved by his cabinet members... Bush's participation is irrelevant to this.

You've continually failed to address the reality that any such document as you refer to would ever be released by this administration because of the legal (not to mention PR) vulnerabilities that would accrue.

Talking with you pretty much always proves a waste of everyone's time. You fall, always, to a silly pretence that you are Perry Mason. There's nothing to suggest you care very much at all about consistency and certainly not about finding out the facts of things.

But it doesn't matter much because you are quite irrelevant to the matters at hand. Historians, journalists and prosecutors (not merely in America, America being signatory to various international legal agreements) will continue to dig into these things. And as more participants and witnesses emerge, through the demands of their own consciences or subpoenas, there will be consequences for any who have contributed to this disgusting chapter in American history.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:38 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
"History will not judge this kindly" - Terrorist torture passengers on 3 planes before crashing them and killing all of them.

True enough. On the other hand, there are circumstances under which Johny Yoo, there at the Bush Department of Justice, would allow big swarthy men to hold you son down in front of you and crush his testicles. I'm not sure if they'd use one of those walnut openers or just drop the Liberty Bell on the boy's little jewels. But what the heck. Freedom might demand no less.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:42 am
blatham wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

True enough. On the other hand, there are circumstances under which Johny Yoo, there at the Bush Department of Justice, would allow big swarthy men to hold you son down in front of you and crush his testicles. I'm not sure if they'd use one of those walnut openers or just drop the Liberty Bell on the boy's little jewels. But what the heck. Freedom might demand no less.

You write books for children don't you ... two in the hand ... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:20 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
blatham wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

No. Mainly I write to help under-educated Americans gain perspective on how and why they have managed to vulgarize the fundamental christian virtues and become, for example, torturers and mercenaries while leaving lepers to rot on the banks of the Mississippi and Tigris rivers. It's a big task though. I know I can count on your help.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:27 am
blatham wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

No. Mainly I write to help under-educated Americans gain perspective on how and why they have managed to vulgarize the fundamental christian virtues and become, for example, torturers and mercenaries while leaving lepers to rot on the banks of the Mississippi and Tigris rivers. It's a big task though. I know I can count on your help.

Shocked No, you are alone and on your own.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:30 am
Well, I have the Sermon on the Mount on my side, of course.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
Ah yes the Sermon on the Mount. Karl Marx bought that too.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:52 am
blatham wrote:

No. You are really alone.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:06 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
blatham wrote:

No. You are really alone.

Main Street? Noon? You wanna do theology? We could start with Tertullian or Irenaeus or wherever you wish. Come up through Augustine, brief pause at Aquinas, perhaps zip right up to your Founders...you know the routine.

What do you say?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 12:59 pm
blatham wrote:
Come up through Augustine, brief pause at Aquinas, perhaps zip right up to your Founders...you know the routine.

What do you say?

I'm not heading north of the border, there are way too many white people up there.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:40 pm
Torture is not a bad word.
Christianity is born out of crusification of an innocent son of a jew.
German made Christian sales representative enjoy the breez of American Dream.
Laugh a lot.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 05:31 am
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:

Except, that as soon as any such charge is forwarded, the forwarder, regardless of who he is or how well placed, becomes 'his enemy'.

And regardless of whether Bush himself signed such a document, an investigation would be fully warranted if torture was planned and approved by his cabinet members... Bush's participation is irrelevant to this.

You've continually failed to address the reality that any such document as you refer to would ever be released by this administration because of the legal (not to mention PR) vulnerabilities that would accrue.

Talking with you pretty much always proves a waste of everyone's time. You fall, always, to a silly pretence that you are Perry Mason. There's nothing to suggest you care very much at all about consistency and certainly not about finding out the facts of things.

But it doesn't matter much because you are quite irrelevant to the matters at hand. Historians, journalists and prosecutors (not merely in America, America being signatory to various international legal agreements) will continue to dig into these things. And as more participants and witnesses emerge, through the demands of their own consciences or subpoenas, there will be consequences for any who have contributed to this disgusting chapter in American history.

I agree that the signature of cabinet members would be sufficient to condemn the president, but you haven't shown any immoral form of interrogation authorized by cabinet members either. And, on the contrary, I have several times addressed the idea that "any such document as you refer to would ever be released by this administration because of the legal (not to mention PR) vulnerabilities that would accrue." My answer is that you might be right, but as long as you have no proof of any improper forms of interrogation authorized by the president (or his cabinet), then you're blaming the president based on unsubstantiated suspicion. As to the rest of your response, don't you think it odd that you, being in the right, as you must believe, must resort to attacking the poster, whereas I, in the wrong as you believe me to be, just stick to the subject?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:00 am
blatham wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
blatham wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

Would you be so kind as to tell all of us where there are lepers being "left to rot" anywhere on the banks of the Mississippi river?
0 Replies