"History will not judge this kindly" - torture OKed from top

Endymion

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:40 am
April 11th, 2008 4:23 pm
Cheney, others OK'd harsh interrogations

By Lara Jakes Jordan and Pamela Hess / Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Bush administration officials from Vice President Dick Cheney on down signed off on using harsh interrogation techniques against suspected terrorists after asking the Justice Department to endorse their legality, The Associated Press has learned.

The officials also took care to insulate President Bush from a series of meetings where CIA interrogation methods, including waterboarding, which simulates drowning, were discussed and ultimately approved.

A former senior U.S. intelligence official familiar with the meetings described them Thursday to the AP to confirm details first reported by ABC News on Wednesday. The intelligence official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly discuss the issue.

Between 2002 and 2003, the Justice Department issued several memos from its Office of Legal Counsel that justified using the interrogation tactics, including ones that critics call torture.

"If you looked at the timing of the meetings and the memos you'd see a correlation," the former intelligence official said. Those who attended the dozens of meetings agreed that "there'd need to be a legal opinion on the legality of these tactics" before using them on al-Qaida detainees, the former official said.

The meetings were held in the White House Situation Room in the years immediately following the Sept. 11 attacks. Attending the sessions were then-Bush aides Attorney General John Ashcroft, Secretary of State Colin Powell, CIA Director George Tenet and national security adviser Condoleezza Rice.

The White House, Justice and State departments and the CIA refused comment Thursday, as did a spokesman for Tenet. A message for Ashcroft was not immediately returned.

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., lambasted what he described as "yet another astonishing disclosure about the Bush administration and its use of torture."

"Who would have thought that in the United States of America in the 21st century, the top officials of the executive branch would routinely gather in the White House to approve torture?" Kennedy said in a statement. "Long after President Bush has left office, our country will continue to pay the price for his administration's renegade repudiation of the rule of law and fundamental human rights."

The American Civil Liberties Union called on Congress to investigate.

"With each new revelation, it is beginning to look like the torture operation was managed and directed out of the White House," ACLU legislative director Caroline Fredrickson said. "This is what we suspected all along."

The former intelligence official described Cheney and the top national security officials as deeply immersed in developing the CIA's interrogation program during months of discussions over which methods should be used and when.

At times, CIA officers would demonstrate some of the tactics, or at least detail how they worked, to make sure the small group of "principals" fully understood what the al-Qaida detainees would undergo. The principals eventually authorized physical abuse such as slaps and pushes, sleep deprivation, or waterboarding. This technique involves strapping a person down and pouring water over his cloth-covered face to create the sensation of drowning.

The small group then asked the Justice Department to examine whether using the interrogation methods would break domestic or international laws.

"No one at the agency wanted to operate under a notion of winks and nods and assumptions that everyone understood what was being talked about," said a second former senior intelligence official. "People wanted to be assured that everything that was conducted was understood and approved by the folks in the chain of command."

The Office of Legal Counsel issued at least two opinions on interrogation methods.

In one, dated Aug. 1, 2002, then-Assistant Attorney General Jay Bybee defined torture as covering "only extreme acts" causing pain similar in intensity to that caused by death or organ failure. A second, dated March 14, 2003, justified using harsh tactics on detainees held overseas so long as military interrogators did not specifically intend to torture their captives.

Both legal opinions since have been withdrawn.

The second former senior intelligence official said rescinding the memos caused the CIA to seek even more detailed approvals for the interrogations.

The department issued another still-secret memo in October 2001 that, in part, sought to outline novel ways the military could be used domestically to defend the country in the face of an impending attack. The Justice Department so far has refused to release it, citing attorney-client privilege, and Attorney General Michael Mukasey declined to describe it Thursday at a Senate panel where Democrats characterized it as a "torture memo."

Not all of the principals who attended were fully comfortable with the White House meetings.

The ABC News report portrayed Ashcroft as troubled by the discussions, despite agreeing that the interrogations methods were legal.

"Why are we talking about this in the White House?" the network quoted Ashcroft as saying during one meeting. "History will not judge this kindly."

___

Associated Press writer Pete Yost contributed to this report.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 05:48 am
This article makes it look, for instance, as though the White House formally authorized waterboarding, and I doubt that it's so. Is waterboarding, for instance, stated as an approved method of interrorgation in any document anywhere? What document? I suspect that this is false.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 05:50 am
The end result of that

(if you can stomach it)

http://www.alternet.org/rights/81406/?page=entire

IMO anyone who advocates torture is undermining the human rights of us all (every human alive today) by doing so and therefore makes themselves an enemy of the world

America has to deal with the reality - and i think that is starting to happen
There is no doubt in my mind that George Bush and his band of cut throats are going to prison for a very long time -

To be honest, i'm simply amazed that George W Bush is still in the white house laughing it up. Seriously - i'm stunned he's still there.

You can do all the talking you like - you can sneer at other nations around you - you can sneer at me - be my guest, i'm not important -but the whole world is waiting for the US to disown the politics of the neo cons - for the sake of the planet -

We need a strong America that will lead the world in dealing with environmental and poverty issues - and we need that NOW
Not tomorrow, not next year, not after the US war mongers (riding rough shot over the masses and ignoring public opinion) have bombed Iran - but now

Of course the industrial/war complex don't want a united world and they are calling the shots - so America needs a President who can see beyond the manufacture of weaponry in order to plump up his retirement.
(And has the balls to stand up to the corporate mafia)

A man/woman of vision and strength. Is that so much to ask for? In all those millions of people who live there - surely a sound mind and principled visionary exists..

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.

~Dwight D. Eisenhower

I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it.

~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.

~George Washington

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force...Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

~George Washington

Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.

~George Washington

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.

~James Madison

Vietnam should remind conservatives that whenever you put your faith in big government for any reason, sooner or later you wind up an apologist for mass murder.

~Karl Hess

We all have to be concerned about terrorism, but you will never end terrorism by terrorizing others.

~Martin Luther King III

Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it.

~Noam Chomsky

Preventive war is like committing suicide out of fear of death.

~Otto von Bismarck

No one has deputized America to play Wyatt Earp to the world.

~Patrick J. Buchanan

What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness god has given us in this world...

~Robert E. Lee

A people free to choose will always choose peace.

~Ronald Reagan

Every nation has its war party. It is not the party of democracy. It is the party of autocracy. It seeks to dominate absolutely.

~Senator Robert M. La Follette

All wars are fought for money.

~Socrates

That there are men in all countries who get their living by war, and by keeping up the quarrels of Nations is as shocking as it is true...

~Thomas Paine

A coward is much more exposed to quarrels than a man of spirit.

~Thomas Jefferson

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official...

~Theodore Roosevelt

That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction.

~George W. Bush

Yeah, you said it George

btw Alternet (above page) is a Reuters (humanitarian) site
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:00 pm
So, the White House approved something related to interrogation? What did they approve? Do you have a link? I may have missed something, but in this entire thread, I have not seen any statement that something specific has been approved by the President in writing. I am not saying that it isn't so, but I sure haven't seen anything specific.

What I hear is that we don't like Bush because he strikes us as the sort of person who we think might approve something like this.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:07 pm
History
if it is written by Mother Theresa and not by Lady Di:
If it is written by half naked Fakir whose name is Gandhi and not by Chruchill
If it is written by MLK and not byCia fact books
If it is writen by Nleson mandela and not by the corporate CEO's

The word war would have vanished from the dictionary.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:12 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
This article makes it look, for instance, as though the White House formally authorized waterboarding, and I doubt that it's so. Is waterboarding, for instance, stated as an approved method of interrorgation in any document anywhere? What document? I suspect that this is false.

Quote:
LARA JAKES JORDAN and PAMELA HESS
AP News

Apr 11, 2008 05:25 EST

Bush administration officials from Vice President Dick Cheney on down signed off on using harsh interrogation techniques against suspected terrorists after asking the Justice Department to endorse their legality, The Associated Press has learned.

The officials also took care to insulate President Bush from a series of meetings where CIA interrogation methods, including waterboarding, which simulates drowning, were discussed and ultimately approved.

What is it you are imagining here, brandon? A document saying "I personally approve waterboarding and all other techniques OKed by the Principals and determined as legal by the AG's office....signed hereunder....George W Bush" ?

Do you further imagine such a document would ever be released?

Regardless of whether Bush actually signed any such document, he is responsible for his administration, most immediately for his cabinet level members and their acts.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 06:22 pm
History is a bible.
Everyone can read and none is interested.
Rama
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:06 am
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Quote:
AP News

Bush administration officials from Vice President Dick Cheney on down signed off on using harsh interrogation techniques against suspected terrorists after asking the Justice Department to endorse their legality, The Associated Press has learned.

What is it you are imagining here, brandon? A document saying "I personally approve waterboarding and all other techniques OKed by the Principals and determined as legal by the AG's office....signed hereunder....George W Bush" ?

Regardless of whether Bush actually signed any such document, he is responsible for his administration, most immediately for his cabinet level members and their acts.

It certainly must be so that approved guidelines for interrogation appear in some document. If waterboarding was approved as a matter of national policy, then I disapprove, but I still haven't seen much to convince me that it was. I do know, because I saw it about a year ago somewhere, that there was an army manual which specifically forbade it.

Mr. Bush is certainly responsible for official, written policy. He is perhaps responsible for, but probably not to blame for cases in which individuals act contrary to policy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 04:33 am
goddam man. I refuse to believe you to be such a tool to the root. It just is not possible for someone to be this totally deluded... it just can't be.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 06:17 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Quote:
AP News

It certainly must be so that approved guidelines for interrogation appear in some document. If waterboarding was approved as a matter of national policy, then I disapprove, but I still haven't seen much to convince me that it was. I do know, because I saw it about a year ago somewhere, that there was an army manual which specifically forbade it.

Mr. Bush is certainly responsible for official, written policy. He is perhaps responsible for, but probably not to blame for cases in which individuals act contrary to policy.

Again...what are the chances that any such document or written policy would be released by this administration when the legal jeopardy of those involved is so clearly in question? Not to mention the PR repercussions for administration and party. As with each related revelation (Abu Ghraib photos, the Torture Memos, etc) which now provide us with a real if partial picture of what went on leading up to the approval for and committment of torture of prisoners, we have and will learn of these matters not via the administration but in spite of the administrations attempts to bury every detail.

From the Washington Note in 2005
Quote:
Another topic of emotional importance in Wilkerson's talk, which clearly echoes Powell's personal concerns, was his denunciation of the "torture memo" and its effects, predicting "ten years from now, when we have the whole story, we are going to be ashamed."

What is he hinting? In some of the private chats noted above, Powell and Armitage have quoted President Bush, Rumsfeld and Cheney as leading a collective round of ridicule when Powell, at Cabinet meetings, and Armitage, at Subcabinet, sought to put limits on mistreatment of prisoners at Guantanamo. . .long before the cancer of Abu Ghraib. We reported on this at the time of last year's Senate hearings (the title of one was "A Fish Rots From The Head").
http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/2005/10/chris_nelson_on/

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/magazine/09rosen.html
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 09:54 am
snood wrote:
goddam man. I refuse to believe you to be such a tool to the root. It just is not possible for someone to be this totally deluded... it just can't be.

I find it very, very interesting, and completely expected, that you give no specifics whatsoever. If you were right and I was wrong, I think that you would be both inclined and able to give some argument to support your position. Name calling is the absolute lowest form of argument.

I invite you to point out where I am wrong, but recall that all I have done was to ask for a specific example of a form of torture that Mr. Bush approved, and some indication of where the approval might be written down.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 09:57 am
blatham wrote:
Again...what are the chances that any such document or written policy would be released by this administration when the legal jeopardy of those involved is so clearly in question? Not to mention the PR repercussions for administration and party. As with each related revelation (Abu Ghraib photos, the Torture Memos, etc) which now provide us with a real if partial picture of what went on leading up to the approval for and committment of torture of prisoners, we have and will learn of these matters not via the administration but in spite of the administrations attempts to bury every detail.

Even if you're right about this, it still leaves you blaming Mr. Bush for something you have virtually no evidence that he really did.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
snood wrote:

I too, have always been astounded at the depth of these folks delusion, Snood. How do they function day to day? One of the truly great mysteries of life.

Quote:

Bush Admits To Knowledge of Torture Authorization by Top Advisers (4/12/2008)

ACLU Calls for Independent Counsel to Investigate Administration's Approval of Torture and Abuse

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ACLU Washington Legislative Office, (202) 675-2312 or [email protected]
National ACLU, (917) 251-8654 or [email protected]

WASHINGTON - In a stunning admission to ABC news Friday night, President Bush declared that he knew his top national security advisers discussed and approved specific details of the CIA's use of torture. Bush reportedly told ABC, "I'm aware our national security team met on this issue. And I approved." Bush also defended the use of waterboarding.

http://www.aclu.org/safefree/general/34879prs20080412.html

0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:30 am
"Bush Admits To Knowledge of Torture Authorization by Top Advisers". Razz
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:31 pm
Quote:

Maybe because I'm a "San Francisco elite," when I heard what Barack Obama said at a Marin County fundraiser about the difficulties inherent in reaching out to small town voters, I said, "And…?" Obviously, context is everything, and perhaps it was not as artfully phrased as it might have been. Are voters so fragile that having someone point out that there is antipathy and bitterness in many economically impoverished areas that makes it hard to connect to voters and encourage them to vote for you is somehow an elitist attitude? Are we so immature that we need candidates to pat us on our heads and say, "It's okay, little voter, there, there…don't let me bother your pretty little head with reality"? Really, which is more condescending?

But you wouldn't have known that by CNN's coverage on Lou Dobbs Tonight. Guest host Kitty Pilgrim spent the whole hour talking about how this could potentially devastate Obama's campaign, bringing on concerned analysts and reporters alike to discuss how this shows Obama's elitist attitude (my God, he declined a cup of coffee for a glass of orange juice…and he can't bowl! That snob!). And while they acknowledged Obama's response, they saw fit to focus on Clinton and McCain's pouncing on this opportunity to go after Obama. At first, I was incredulous over the whole thing and figured that the media just needed something to talk about. But then I looked at the calendar.

Friday afternoon data dump. What came out of the White House this Friday? Bush sanctioned torture.

That's right. While Kitty Pilgrim clutched her pearls for a full hour at the thought of poor voters in rural Pennsylvania being thought of as being bitter and distrustful of others because of their disaffection, she (and all the other talking heads and news shows) IGNORED the fact that our president has admitted that he committed a war crime. A crime for which other heads of state have found themselves in front of a war crimes tribunal in The Hague, but merited not even a yawn out of our media.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/

Quote:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/4/12/151937/351/893/494404

Died hanging from wrists and gagged, with over 25 rib fractures UPDATED-Context
by bewert
Sat Apr 12, 2008 at 03:05:50 PM PDT

This is my first of a series of diaries about prisoners murdered by US forces. It will tell the story of an Iraqi man who died hanging by his cuffed wrists from a door frame, gagged, and beaten to death by his US interrogators. As the Final Autopsy Report noted:

Quote:
The remains are received clad in a white shirt, white pajama type pants, and white
undershorts. Feces covers the clothing from the waist down....There is gauze dressing on the left wrist. No other evidence of medical intervention is noted.... The right chest wall has fractures of ribs three through seven anteriorly and ribs six through twelve posteriorly. The left chest wall has fractures of ribs two through nine anteriorly and ribs seven through twelve posteriorly. There are fractures of the lateral aspect of ribs nine and ten on the left side. There is a horizontal fracture through the mid-portion of the body of the sternum."

The severe blunt force injuries, the hanging position, and the obstruction of the oral cavity with a gag contributed to this individual's death. The manner of death is homicide.

=====================

ARMED FORCES INSTITUTE QF PATHOLOGY
Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner
1413 Research Blvd., Bldg. 102
Rockville, MD 20850
1-800-944-7912

Circumstances of Death: Iraqi detainee died while in U.S. custody.

Authorization for Autopsy: Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner, lAW 10 USC 1471

Identification: Identification by accompanying paperwork and wristband, both of which include his name and a detainee number, 3ACR1582

CAUSE OF DEATH: Blunt Force. Injuries and Asphyxia

MANNER OF DEATH: Homicide

FINAL AUTOPSY DIAGNOSES:
I. Multiple Blunt Force Injuries
A. Cutaneous abrasions and contusions of the scalp, torso, and extremities

OPINION
This 47-year-old White male, [redacted], died of blunt force injuries and asphyxia. The autopsy disclosed multiple blunt force injuries,including deep contusions of the chest wall, numerous displaced rib fractures, lung contusions, and hemorrhage into the mesentery of the small and large intestine. An examination of the neck structures revealed hemorrhage into the strap muscles and fractures of the thyroid cartilage and hyoid bone. According to the investigative report provided by U.S. Army CID, the decedent was shackled to the top of a doorframe with a gag in his mouth at the time he lost consciousness and became pulseless.

The severe blunt force injuries, the hanging position, and the obstruction of the oral cavity with a gag contributed to this individual's death. The manner of death is homicide.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:41 pm
"What is shown on the photographs and videos from Abu Ghraib prison that the Pentagon has blocked from release? One clue: Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld told Congress last year, after viewing a large cache of unreleased images, "I mean, I looked at them last night, and they're hard to believe." They show acts "that can only be described as blatantly sadistic, cruel and inhumane," he added." link
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:53 pm
Should I add more?
here is one

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:21 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:

Even if you're right about this, it still leaves you blaming Mr. Bush for something you have virtually no evidence that he really did.

What, for you, would constitute adequate evidence?
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 08:46 pm
I would venture to say that if Bush himself told him he had ok'd the waterboarding he would refuse to believe him.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 05:27 pm
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:

What, for you, would constitute adequate evidence?

Addendum question to you Brandon...

Would you support the call for an Independent Prosecutor to look into this matter?
0 Replies