FTD, now its not just Alzheimer's I worry about.

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 04:48 am
DR Anne Adams, a biologist who was diagnosed with FRONTOTEMPORAL DEMENTIA in 1994, manifested her affliction with a burst of creativity as the rear brain began "taking over" and causing a decline in her quantitative skills. As her dosease progressed, she painted strong patterned oils of an almost PErsian style of graphic representation.
Below is a work called the ABC of Life , and is a collaborative effort between Dr ADams and a poet. Together they produced a biological-vocabulary with strongly patterned illutrations. Ive clipped it here for your inspection and consideration.

Ive not been aware of FTD as a form of rapidly progressing dementia that unleashes creativity in a burst of highly structured works. Ravel was also believed, in retrospect, to have been and FTD sufferer when he composed the tone poem BOLERO.

ART OF ANNE ADAMS

Now, Ive got another dementia to worry about as I age. ANybody know more about FTD?.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,240 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:46 am
You worry about Florists' Trans-world Delivery?

Seriously, FM, do you really worry about this sh*t, or do you just ruminate about it until something equally fascinatin' comes along and pushes it out of your frontal lobe . . . so to speak?

Ravel is famous for agonizing over the likelihood that he would be remembered for Bolero, rather than the rest of his body of work. Perhaps this condition also confers prescience . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:57 am
http://memory.ucsf.edu/Education/Disease/ftd.html

One thing about getting older, is that you learn (often first hand) about some of the most FASCINATING ailments. I am always amazed as to how many creative ways the body has to destroy itself! Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 11:55 am
Actually, RAvels descent into FTD (also known as Pick's disease) was noticed by others a few years before he wrote Bolero and precedes his head bump that summoned the last , more debilitating phase of his disease.

Ravel began exhibiting peculiar personality traits in the early 1920's when he was given to sudden outbursts of profanity and was seeemingly unconcerned about his behavior. His later work demonstrates the cyclic repeted musical phrases and pattern that are similar to Adams paintings.

Earlier medicine ascribed his mental descent as beginning after he suffered a head injury from a car door incident in 1932. As the pathology of Picks disease became more understood, Researchers began looking at Ravels bizarre behavior that began in the early 1920's.

Im part of an extended family that has manifested symptoms and etiology of several brain disorders including BP, AD, and alcohol induced dementias. Ive always been very afraid of two things in the medical end

1brain cancer

2dementia

So, Im not posting this in a flippant fashion set. Ive always been a bit of a cerebro-hypochondriac . Whenever I feel that Im displaying a kind of age induced aphasia, Ive always begun worrying about AD. Now Picks disease is on my list.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:01 pm
So we probably wouldn't be doing you any favor by coming up with other age-related cerebral conditions for you to think about, huh?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 03:04 pm
Shocked Unless its the "Spurious Dropsy" Ill let it flow offn my back
0 Replies