Compulsive Overeating

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:39 am
JPB wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I don't want to change my eating habits but I don't want to be fat.

I want it to magically happen. I want to be 115 lbs again without working for it.

There. I said it.

How do I get past this? I think my desire for a healthier body can easily over come my desire to pig out but I don't know how to start it.

Slappy, can you come kick my ass every morning?

Life sucks sometimes, bella. Realizing that your metabolism ain't what it used to be is one of those times. You can make changes or you can get fat. What's it gonna be?

I have to change. I know that.

I am just resisting.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:44 am
Hormone Wants To Keep Body At Weight Set Point
Most women say their weight problems began after childbirth. Are hormones the culprit? ---BBB

Hormone Wants To Keep Body At Weight Set Point
ScienceDaily
Jul. 8, 2004

Studies of a stomach hormone called ghrelin in normal weight women indicate that the hormone may play a part in reestablishing a body weight set-point after dieting and exercise, according to Penn State researchers.

"Most studies have analyzed physical levels of ghrelin in obese or anorexic subjects," says Heather J. Leidy, who recently received her Ph.D. in physiology. "We looked at ghrelin in healthy, normal weight women. We are trying to see how the body maintains weight and maintains its energy balance."

Prior research showed that ghrelin levels rise when fasting and fall when the subject is fed. The levels rise 60 to 30 minutes before a normal meal time and 30 to 60 minutes after a meal, the level drops. According to Leidy, studies in human and rodents have found that injections of ghrelin significantly increase both hunger and food intake.

The researchers, led by Nancy I. Williams, associate professor of kinesiology, wanted to determine if ghrelin release was associated with body weight, physical exercise, reduced food intake or an overall energy deficit.

"Changes in ghrelin appear to be most sensitive to changes in body weight created by an overall energy deficit, independent of specific effects of reduced food intake or physical exercise," the researchers reported in a recent issue of the journal, Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

The researchers, who also included J.K. Gardner, research associate; B.R. Frye, graduate student; and M.L. Snook, M.K. Schuchert, and E.L. Richard, undergraduate students, looked at healthy women without eating disorders, between the ages of 18 and 30, weighing between 105 and 160 pounds with 15 to 30 percent body fat. The women were non-smokers, not taking hormonal contraceptives and had no significant weight loss or gain in the past year. The study was part of a larger one designed to assess changes in reproductive function in response to controlled feeding and exercise.

Participants had to agree to eat only food provided by the Penn State General Clinical Research Center at University Park and to eat two of their three meals at the facility. In the initial study, researchers studied all participants for about a month to establish a baseline; the subjects followed the controlled diet and exercise plans for three months. Researchers randomly assigned women to four groups, a control group that did no exercise and were given enough calories to maintain their weight, a group that exercised but were given enough calories to maintain their weight, and two groups that exercised but were given fewer calories than required to maintain their weight. One energy deficit group had a moderate energy deficit and the other had a high-energy deficit.

For the ghrelin study, the four groups were compressed to three: the control group, the weight stable exerciser group and the weight loss exerciser group. Because the participants' diets were closely controlled, those that exhibited a weight loss, clearly experienced an energy deficit caused by exercise.

The researchers measured body fat, fat mass and fat-free mass before the study, at the study midpoint and after the study. They also measured resting metabolic rate and maximal aerobic capacity. Blood samples to measure ghrelin level were done on 22 subjects and midpoint measurements on 17 subjects.

"The disruption of body weight regulation seen in obesity makes one examine physiological factors in short and long term energy balance," says Leidy. "This is the first study to show that weight loss resulting from a diet and exercise intervention leads to an increase in circulating ghrelin in normal weight, healthy young women. We found that ghrelin was significantly elevated with weight loss in exercising subjects."

The researchers found that changes in ghrelin came after changes in body weight, composition and resting metabolic rate. Previous research showed that ghrelin levels are low in obese subjects and high in anorexic subjects, however, in the study's normal women, no correlation between baseline ghrelin and body weight, body mass index, percent body fat, fat mass or fat-free mass was found. The researchers state that ghrelin levels reflect energy status and body composition only in subjects who have experienced significant alterations in energy status rather than the relatively stable energy and body composition status of the study's subjects.

"The stimulatory effect on food intake attributed to ghrelin suggests a potential role for ghrelin in returning the body to a prior set-point for body weight after weight loss," the Penn State researchers report. "The absence of changes in ghrelin in our weight stable group demonstrates that exercise training itself has little impact on at least one powerful modulator of food intake."

"The increase in ghrelin in the weight loss group was in response to the overall energy deficit created by the combination of reduced food intake and exercise, and not due to the endocrine and/or metabolic effects of physical exercise itself," says Leidy.
-----------------------------------------

The National Institutes of Health supported this research. Adapted from materials provided by Penn State.

More info: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/07/040707091615.htm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:46 am
I believe that is true.

I also believe that I am being lazy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:13 am
How much does Ade weigh now (a couple of friends of mine have done a program using the baby as a weight til the baby's about 20 pounds)?

can you use some of your time with her as exercise time? running jogger, that sort of thing - would be good for both of you
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:46 am
How's the money situation?

Hiring some sort of pet-sitter/ dog-walker has come up before. It sounds like you waste a fair amount of time in driving home and letting out the dogs on your lunch hour. If you had that taken care of, it seems like it would be reasonable to get some exercise in during your lunch hour -- a half-hour brisk walking, half an hour to eat, that kind of thing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:58 am
"letting the dogs out" could be running with the dogs time
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
You don't have time to go to the gym for 1 hour, 4-5 days a week? Or take time to jog? Friend of mine lost around 50lbs within the past year. All cardio, and slight adjustments to his diet. But he went to the gym twice a day: early in the morning before work, then right after work.

Could always buy a treadmill or elliptical, and put it right in your living room.

For food, I'd google healthy eating recipes...there's plenty out there.

Just putting in a word of support for bella here slappy....

I speak from experience here. When you are singe, even when you have a significant other, it is Vastly different as far as being able to find time for yourself.

That "hour" you can't spare to get to the gym? Even if the gym is directly on the way home from work, by the time you park, schelp in there, change, deal with the other people there, and reverse all that to make it home, you're talking more like 2 hours. Now add in the fact you've got to get a meal prepared (even buying a healthy take out takes up more of your time)....not to mention picking up the baby from day care, taking care of her when you get home, trying to find 10 minutes to discuss something with your husband. That hour at the gym 4 or 5 times a week can literally make it impossible to get much else done...and now you have to deal with the stress that you're not getting to the gym.

In my mid to late 20's, I was able to do as you suggest....and I had no one to answer to but me, myself and I. In addition, I'll say right out, I was able to do it, but it wasn't easy. As soon as other responsibilities came into my life, they were more important than the big effort it took to keep it up. I didn't stop, but you come to a point where you realize your life isn't all about going to the gym, and trying to rearrange everything else in your life to do it.

Having a spouse and/or kids is not the same as a girlfriend/boyfriend.

Even with no kids, it ain't that easy.

Treadmill at home? OK, what Bella supposed to do when she gets on it, and baby starts crying, needs changing, food, hurt herself, etc? Husband should take care of it? Isn't he trying to get his own personal stuff in there too? You go to change a baby's diaper, you just invested a half hour of your time.

Bella honey, I know how you feel. Well, about the finding the time thing. I hope you find some comfort in at least knowing you're not alone in that.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:43 pm
Thanks Chai.

And Ade is about 18 lbs. I carry her around a fair amount of the time. Or at least hold her. And I carry her up the stairs every time she needs changing. My right arm is bionic compared to the left. I'd like to even that out. It isn't like I am on my ass 100% of the time.

I was driving back from lunch today and I came to a realization. It might sound silly or stupid to think that I hadn't really come to this before but it's true.

This will not happen without my participation.

I know, funny isn't it? I mean, I KNOW that the weights won't lift themselves and the treadmill won't go on it's own (ok maybe it will but you get the idea). But somewhere in the back of my mind I think I believed that the weight would just come off if I wanted to off bad enough.

I took the stairs again, instead of the elevator. I almost died but I did it. And I'll do it tomorrow and the next day and the next.

And, oh gosh, I didn't even tell you all....I'll start another thread about this.....when we get into the new house, I'll have ROOM to move. There will be a yard to play with the dogs in. Places to play with Ade. A space to actually exercise, even if it's just bouncing around and acting stupid with Ade.

And like five minutes ago, it clicked. I can do this. And I want to do this. I want people to come to my housewarming party in a month and say, wow, did you lose weight? And I want them to come to Ade's 1st birthday and be like holy crap you look great!

I refuse to buy new pants because the old one's stopped fitting. I'll either suffocate myself or have to lose a few pounds.

I am going to do this.

And I am starting NOW.

There.

[size=7]Now God grant me the strength to keep this up.[/size]
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:46 pm
Actually, you started this morning when you climbed the stairs and started this thread. Welcome to Day One!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:48 pm
I'm on a chocolate diet (really)... You gonna eat the rest of those candy bars?... :wink:

Good for you,

RH
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:07 pm
here's an old-school favourite

Quote:
Leg Lifts

Lie flat on your back with your feet on the floor and your knees bent. Rest your baby - belly down and facing you - on your shins, and hold her arms securely.
Tighten your abdominal and buttock muscles so the small of your back is flat on the floor.
Raise your legs so they are parallel to the floor, supporting your baby's body.
Hold and count to three.
Lower your legs slowly.
Repeat.
Results: Strengthens and firms front thigh muscles.

link
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:47 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
How do I get past this? I think my desire for a healthier body can easily over come my desire to pig out but I don't know how to start it.

Slappy, can you come kick my ass every morning?

The first couple weeks will be the toughest, but once you change your diet and implement excercise into your life, you'll start feeling better and will welcome the changes instead of resisting them, especially once you notice the pounds coming off.

Chai, you're right about the time. But getting a treadmill, then waking up 1/2 hour early in the morning shouldn't be very difficult. Maybe an elliptical would make more sense since it would be quieter. Or jogging in the morning, which would save the expense of equipment, as long as the neighborhood is safe enough and it's ok to leave the house at that time.

Another thing...with me, if I'm not working out due to injury, ect., I have a much harder time keeping up with my diet. I won't eat as much as I should, which just makes me lose muscle faster. So it's tough, but once you can start excercising, the diet becomes easier to follow too, since you've got a real reason for eating healthier.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 02:11 pm
hey Bella - you heard that place in your brain when it goes "click"...for you, it was hearing "this won't get done without my participation."

whatever mantra works.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 02:51 pm
For the compulsive eating, try hypnosis.

Yeah yeah, that load of cornswabble, I know, I always pooh poohed that stuff. I did it a week ago to help me stop smoking. I sniggered the entire time I was in his office and he gave me a couple of simple suggestions, not even deep hypnosis, but guess who hasn't had a smoke in a week? Yep me, and when the craving comes over me, I do a silly hand rubbing thing and I lose the desire. It friggin worked! Of course now I am barking like a dog and chasing cars, so .... not sure about side effects.....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:05 pm
One of those freezer meal places just had a sale, so we bought a whole bunch of prepared meals for $9 apiece.

Haven't tried 'em yet.

You've got to find the time somewhere without breaking the bank.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:05 pm
Bella--

Master/Mistress of Her Fate. Captain of her Soul.

You aren't addicted to food. Since Ade was born she's taken 6-8 hours out of every day that used to belong to you. She's a gem, a jewel and a joy. She's a delight and an absolute darling. All the same, like every other mother in the world you're short changed on personal time and you've been making it up to yourself with lots and lots of little snackies.

If the Tooth Fairy ever decides to diversify and establish a chain business with the Liposuction Leprechaun those indulgent pounds will vanish just as easily as they arrived.

Unfortunately....

Figure you something you can do for yourself with limited time that has No Calories. You're a woman who deserves quality diversion, not mindless chowing down.

As JPB points out, you started this morning....

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:08 pm
Let's not forget the time you lose from illnesses that Ade brings home.

We went to Chucky Cheese's two weekends ago. Then both the girls got sick. Then T. Now me. Yaya's just over it; I get to look forward to four more day's of hacking up a lung.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:08 pm
I changed my diet gradually over the years. Probably from having fun going out to different types of restaurants in my thirties I started to actually like vegetables. Well, at that point not all of them, but the starting of vegetable liking. Never did become a vegetarian, but my range of food interest widened. I was never that chubby then.. until I hit forty, when two things happened. I quit smoking, having been a serious smoker. And, I started going to work full time, school full time, and doing homework long past 2 a.m. Also married, house to keep up, yadda yadda. I would treat myself to donuts on the way to work, and potato chips and dip after I got home from school, usually around 11 p.m. I slacked off of exercise because .. when could I do that or even want to, exactly? I was already walking around like a tight violin string. The weight zoomed, whoo.

Started jogging or sometimes walking at lunch hour, eating a sandwich from home and grabbing an ice tea where I could.

Weaned myself off donuts (I had, gag, gotten up to getting a bag of five for, y'know, the car.) That might have been harder than the cigarettes.

I still adore salty greasy potato chips, the ones with transfats on them, have only had mebbe two bags in the last year, and am losing my taste for them complete since they aced out trans fats.

I'm down to being hefty relative to myself at 30, but at the edge of normal bmi now. Since I stopped with the pigging out mode, and its jolly stomach distension, my stomach is rarely screaming at me to fill it, more pleasantly hungry once in a while. (Well, good for you.. bitch)

So what to all of this? I second sozobe's suggestion about freeing up your lunch hour via a dog sitter, and JPB's idea of some healthy bit of food immediately when you get home, something very easy. Smoothie? lean cuisine? something.

I didn't really lecture myself out of smoking and donutting. I knew better without a lecture even from myself, like you do, Bella, and pulled myself to a stop on it - no virtue, maybe just plain old fear. Plus I had some vestigial memory of when I felt good before when jogging, swimming, etc.

Plus, you'll probably want your toddler to be getting exercise and used to the concept as a way of life...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:16 pm
Is the baby too young to take to a pool?

Maybe when she gets big enough or you are comfortable enough to take her to a pool you can spend some mommy & daughter time teaching her to swim or do a baby-swim-class. While you are bonding with her, you also get to do some water aerobics to firm up your bod. You don't have to go all-out swimming lengths, the pressure of the water in the pool is good for your legs and twisting/turning with her in your arms good for your waist and stomach muscles. It's also a gradual working back into fitness for you and doesn't stress your bod too much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 03:20 pm
And a last shot at being obnoxious --
you don't like raw carrots? I did that once in a while, like them well enough but yawn. As we all know, they aren't potato chips. What I do like, and others may differ, are the Mezzetta brand expensive olives stuffed with almonds and marinated in some lemon, garlic, white wine, probably olive oil, blah blah. These are a luxury to me. One day I sliced a carrot (washed, peeled) and stuck the slices in the jar, the jar in the fridge. Finally tried one when bored about a week later. Gads that was good. Now I do it all the time. Given the carrots are raw, I suppose that this isn't recommended bacteriologically. I've been doing that about a year now, thus justifying my purchase of the olives in the first place, nirvana to me, and I find the carrots just as good. I presume one could do one's own marinade without the olive buying.
0 Replies