Is this actually a pregnant man?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 10:27 am
I voted woman, in the birthing ability. I don't see why her dna wouldn't still be female.

I can see this as potentially wildly confusing for Thomas, whom Eva said had cut out the testosterone a couple of years ago, thus natural hormones that roil about at pregnancy and birth time might kick in, but... what do I know, eh?

I think it would be good if the press leaves them alone, and they leave the press alone if that is part of it. I'd rather have heard about this with the family as anonymous.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 10:32 am
I started reading this thread until I came across this image...

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/16842/original.jpg

At that point my retinas were fried like fish in a pan and I was no longer able to read.

Thank god I can still type.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 10:36 am
ossobuco wrote:
I voted woman, in the birthing ability. I don't see why her dna wouldn't still be female.

I can see this as potentially wildly confusing for Thomas, whom Eva said had cut out the testosterone a couple of years ago, thus natural hormones that roil about at pregnancy and birth time might kick in, but... what do I know, eh?

I think it would be good if the press leaves them alone, and they leave the press alone if that is part of it. I'd rather have heard about this with the family as anonymous.

I shouldn't have said "her dna", I suppose, since the person now identifies and has had surgeries to transgender. So, I'd edit that to "Thomas' dna".
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 03:49 pm
This person is biologically a female, and she will always be a biological female, no matter what she does to superficially alter her appearance.

In humans, sex is determined by chromosomes:

Quote:
Sex Chromosomes
The nuclei of human cells contain 22 autosomes and 2 sex chromosomes. In females, the sex chromosomes are the 2 X chromosomes. Males have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome. The presence of the Y chromosome is decisive for unleashing the developmental program that leads to a baby boy.

This person was born and developed normally as a female. We can, therefore, assume her sex chromosomes are XX--female. This cannot be altered.

All this person did was take testosterone to masculinize her appearance (it gives her facial hair, better muscle development, less curvy hips etc.), and she had double mastectomies to flatten her breasts. I do not believe she even had any genital surgery to construct any sort of penis. She has a clitoris, vagina, womb, ovaries, etc., all the normal female equipment,and she was able to deliver her baby normally. When she stops taking testosterone, and anything else to suppress estrogen, her appearance would again become more feminine. She will always be a biological female.

For psychological reasons, she wishes to consider herself male, superficially look masculine, and be legally regarded as a man. She apparently lives in a state where she can legally be considered a male. Despite that, she still wanted to conceive and bear a child as a female would. That is about all that makes this woman somewhat unusual for a transsexual. She did not want to relinquish her female reproductive organs, she wanted to use them. One has to think that she herself still has considerable confusion, or ambivlance, about her gender identity, simply based on her actions.

The business about this being a "pregnant man" is media hype for sensationalism. This person is not a freak of nature, she's a woman, with her reproductive organs obviously intact and in good working order. She conceived normally via artificial insemination.

Obviously to raise a child in the midst of this sort of media hoopla, and this sort of gender confusion, might well raise problems for the child.

ossobuco said
Quote:

How can the press leave them alone when these people are the ones seeking the media attention. They went on Oprah. They are the ones who have given interviews. The media wouldn't even know about them if they hadn't come forward. And, let's face it, if you want the media, and everyone else, to leave you alone, you'd at least shave your facial hair while pregnant, so you didn't look like a freak.

It does seem that this couple has been seeking and milking publicity, probably for financial gain. Any thought of how this will affect the child appears to have been secondary, if there at all.

If they wanted to have a child, and to be responsible parents, they should have done it quietly, privately, and out of complete sight of the media.

I feel sorry for the baby--her parents exploited her before she was even born. She is now going to be raised in a situation which indicates all kinds of psychological problems.
0 Replies

jenn121

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:51 pm
@kickycan,
it was an asian women who got surgery everything but her female reproduction organs so that she/he could someday have a baby.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 11:09 am
@Mame,
'Typical' men can lactate and nurse, don't have to be trans. It's what men's nipples are for, just as in women. Google 'male lactation' will blow your mind. Smile
0 Replies