Divided Democrats could boost McCain

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 06:45 pm
better be divided in opinon the be the UNITED one.
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:40 pm
I am certain that Senator Obama will not even have to raise the issue of McCain's age. When the debates begin, the US audience will be able to judge for themselves. On one hand, an obviously aging, pasty faced, nearly bald man will attempt to respond to a handsome, charismatic, and virile Senator who is probably the most intelligent candidate of all time.
You don't become the President of the Harvard Law School Review unless you are on the highest intellectual pinnacle.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 04:34 pm
Barackman
A simple question.
What is retiring age of politicians?
Are there any dress code?

I wish a democracy which prohibits those politicians after 2 legitimate period.
( In USA it is not the case)
I wish a political person to represnt the country with proper dress code( German's lady had damaged the dress code.)
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 06:53 am
George Stephenopoulos will interview John McCain this morning. The interview will likely play as follows.

http://therealmccain.com/interview/?utm_source=rgemail
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 08:44 pm
blatham wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Retirement is set at 65 for what reasons?

Frankly?

So corporations can rid themselves of the compensation burdens of employees that have been receiving progressive raises over 20 to 30 years.

This is unusually silly of you blatham, and so must be a base partisan attempt at casting McCain in a false, but dark light.

Do you really believe that people aged 66 and over should be turned out to pasture? I don't believe you do, but right now this and the C-Bomb is all you have against our boy.

Do you truly intend to pursue this line of attack?

The question referred to retirement of pilots at 65.

Nonsense, the question referred to McCain and you are intellectually dishonest if you suggest otherwise. Who is playing games?

Feel free to play whatever games you'd like re this issue but the simple fact is that it WILL play a part in the campaign quite regardless of what anyone might say about it (positive or negative). McCain's team will understand that and develop and put into play whatever strategies they can imagine which might serve to counteract.

As you can see from this poll noted at Fox TV, 27% believe McCain is too old to take the office with an additional 17% unsure while 56% consider it not a problem.
http://media.myfoxny.com/special/Rasmussen/Images/20080128-chart2.jpg
http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/Politics/Detail;jsessionid=DB7C6904C1301D37B06D4138E7D353FE?contentId=5600309&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.14.1&sflg=1

Indeed age will factor into the decisions made in this election as will gender and race. You seem to be suggesting that in the case of age, the factoring will be rational. Is this the case? Answer this question please.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
barackman28 wrote:
I am certain that Senator Obama will not even have to raise the issue of McCain's age. When the debates begin, the US audience will be able to judge for themselves. On one hand, an obviously aging, pasty faced, nearly bald man will attempt to respond to a handsome, charismatic, and virile Senator who is probably the most intelligent candidate of all time.
You don't become the President of the Harvard Law School Review unless you are on the highest intellectual pinnacle.

Could there be a more superficial and yet pernicious analysis?

What is up with the modern Liberal?

Embracing discrimination based upon perceived weakness and glorifying male virility!

You folks are supposed to be above such obviously primative impulses.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 09:09 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
barackman28 wrote:

Embracing discrimination based upon perceived weakness and glorifying male virility!

Laughing You fell for it! Barackman28 is just the latest incarnation of Possum R. Fartbubbles[/url]. Not a liberal, just a troll.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 09:12 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
barackman28 wrote:

Laughing You fell for it! Barackman28 is just the latest incarnation of Possum R. Fartbubbles[/url]. Not a liberal, just a troll.

Oh, how happy you must feel. Enjoy.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 06:15 am
Heres an interesting Hillary quote...

"
Quote:
I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran," Clinton said. "In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them."

She made that statement in response to this...

Quote:
Clinton further displayed tough talk in an interview airing on "Good Morning America" Tuesday. ABC News' Chris Cuomo asked Clinton what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/Vote2008/Story?id=4698059&page=1

Is she threatening Iran?
Does she want war with Iran?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 07:17 am
mysteryman wrote:
Heres an interesting Hillary quote...

"
Quote:
I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran," Clinton said. "In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them."

She made that statement in response to this...

Quote:
Clinton further displayed tough talk in an interview airing on "Good Morning America" Tuesday. ABC News' Chris Cuomo asked Clinton what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/Vote2008/Story?id=4698059&page=1

Is she threatening Iran?
Does she want war with Iran?

I don't think that she wants a war with Iran. IMO what she is saying, is that if Iran becomes aggressive with Israel, she would retaliate. Considering that Israel is just about the only stable democracy in their region, and an important ally to the US, I think that her thoughts are justified.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 05:10 pm
Is she threatening Iran? = No I don't think so
Does she want war with Iran?= I hope not. But the American illeterate corporate CEO's decide
Mysteryman.
Death levels all.
Hope decency survives..
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 03:58 pm
At present, according to Gallop and USA Today polls, McCain is about even in one-to-one races with either Obama or Clinton. I think that this does not bode well for McCain inasmuch the Dems have really not yet attacked him. Once that begins, McCain's support should, I think, plummet.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 06:50 am
Advocate wrote:
At present, according to Gallop and USA Today polls, McCain is about even in one-to-one races with either Obama or Clinton. I think that this does not bode well for McCain inasmuch the Dems have really not yet attacked him. Once that begins, McCain's support should, I think, plummet.

Hillary's too busy beating up on Obama, to notice what's she's done and when she does, will be profusely sorry, but too late! The damage to the Democrat Party is all but over! I see why the repugs win! We allow it! Cool
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:00 am
Advocate wrote:

But McCain hasnt really gone after them either.
Right now, he seems to be concentrating more on winning voters, not attacking the dems.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:33 am
teenyboone wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Hillary's too busy beating up on Obama, to notice what's she's done and when she does, will be profusely sorry, but too late! The damage to the Democrat Party is all but over! I see why the repugs win! We allow it! Cool

yeah.. how dare hillary clinton try to win the nomination. the nerve.

any damage to the democratic party is the result of pissy factions in both the clinton and obama camps. this "my candidate or noone" routine is absolutely childish.

so even if the decision is finalized at the convention, the failure of supporters from either side to back the dem nominee will be what hurts the party. not that the process wasn't a McNomination.

dems either have to grow the hell up and act like adults or get used to the idea of president mccain.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:39 am
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:

But McCain hasnt really gone after them either.
Right now, he seems to be concentrating more on winning voters, not attacking the dems.

not even...

quiet before the storm i would say. anyone that thinks that rove and his entire machine are doing anything other than quietly oiling the cogs and doing a tune up are in for a really rude awakening.

if obama and his supporters can't stand the mild stuff that clinton has been serving up, how in the world do they expect to meet the gop head on in full force and come out of it as anything but obamaburger.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:28 am
What does "can't stand" mean?

Obama and his supporters (and Hillary's supporters too, like the NYT editorial board) don't like what Hillary is doing, and especially don't like that she's making the Republicans' job easier.

This can be entirely separate from whether more, and worse, stuff will be coming from the Republicans later. The working assumption is that there will be.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:55 am
sozobe wrote:
What does "can't stand" mean?

Obama and his supporters (and Hillary's supporters too, like the NYT editorial board) don't like what Hillary is doing, and especially don't like that she's making the Republicans' job easier.

This can be entirely separate from whether more, and worse, stuff will be coming from the Republicans later. The working assumption is that there will be.

"can't stand" means that anything and everything she says or does gets labeled as "dirty" or "racist" from what i can see.

but what is it that you, because i respect your pov's as rational, personally believe that she's doing that is so out of bounds in a primary ?

i ask because i just don't see what the big flap is about. remember that i'm registered libertarian and california doesn't have open primaries. so while i have a preference, i'm in no way able to effect the outcome.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 12:25 pm
Wow, how to encapsulate in one post.

Probably the central thing that I find irritating is that the she is repeatedly using the "electability" excuse to forward ideas that either amount to or are outright smears.

Why did she bring up Farrakhan in the debate? How is that legitimate?

Quote:
[Hillary]And I think that it wasn't only the specific remarks but some of the relationships with Reverend Farrakhan, with giving the church bulletin over to the leader of Hamas, to put a message in.

You know, these are problems. And they raise questions in people's minds. And, so, this is a legitimate area, as everything is, when we run for office, for people to be exploring and trying to find answers.

There are all kinds of "problems" Hillary has that "raise questions in people's minds," that Obama could easily deploy against Hillary using the same justification. How did Bill Clinton make all of that money after he left the White House? Where did he get it, where did it go, what favors are owed? How will conflicts of interest such as Bill being for the Colombia trade agreement and Hillary against be handled? Is Bill Clinton due for another bimbo eruption? How will that be handled if it erupts when Hillary's president? What really happened with Whitewater? What really happened with Vincent Foster? What really happened with Travelgate?

People have questions.

Yet, when given the opportunity to make some hay from Hillary's Bosnia gaffe in that debate, Obama said:

Quote:
But, look, the fact of the matter is, is that both of us are working as hard as we can to make sure that we're delivering a message to the American people about what we would do as president. Sometimes that message is going to be imperfectly delivered because we are recorded every minute of every day.

And I think Senator Clinton deserves the right to make some errors once in a while. Obviously, I make some as well.

I think what's important is to make sure that we don't get so obsessed with gaffes that we lose sight of the fact that this is a defining moment in our history. We are going to be tackling some of the biggest issues that any president has dealt with in the last 40 years.

The Farrakhan thing is of course just one thing. Ayers is another. Saying that she and McCain have crossed the "Commander in Chief" threshold while Obama hasn't is another. Lots from surrogates too, especially Bill.

Tom Hayden:

Quote:
[D]oesn't she see how the Hillary of today would accuse the Hillary of the Sixties of associating with black revolutionaries who fought gun battles with police officers, and defending pro-communist lawyers who backed communists? Doesn't the Rev. Jeremiah Wright whom Hillary attacks today represent the very essence of the black radicals Hillary was associating with in those days? And isn't the Hillary of today becoming the same kind of guilt-by-association insinuator as the Richard Nixon she worked to impeach?

It is as if Hillary Clinton is engaged in a toxic transmission onto Barack Obama of every outrageous insult and accusation ever inflicted on her by the American Right over the decades. She is running against what she might have become. Too much politics dries the soul of the idealist.

It is abundantly clear that the Clintons, working with Fox News and manipulating old Clinton staffers like George Stephanopoulos, are trying, at least unconsciously, to so damage Barack Obama that he will be perceived as "unelectable" to Democratic super-delegates. It is also clear that the campaign of defamation against Obama has resulted in higher negative ratings for Hillary Clinton. She therefore is threatening the Democratic Party's chances for the White House whether or not she is the nominee.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-hayden/why-hillary-makes-my-wife_b_98102.html

Now, none of this is AWFUL. None of it is HORRIBLE. None of it is illegal.

But I don't like it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 12:30 pm
Carl Bernstein:

Quote:
In A Woman in Charge, I wrote about [Hillary's] ability to evolve, observable especially in the years before she met Bill Clinton and in the Senate: to learn from her mistakes. Events have proven me wrong on that count.

The 2008 Clinton campaign, in fact, has been an exercise in devolution, back to the angry, demonizing, accusatory Hillary Clinton of the worst days of the Clinton presidency, flailing, and furtive, and disingenuous; and, as in the White House years, putting forth programs and ideas worthy of respect and deserving of the kind of substantive debate she claims she wants her race against Barrack Obama to be based upon.
0 Replies