Divided Democrats could boost McCain

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:44 pm
teenyboone wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Divided Dems not only can "boost" McCain, they are.

If there wasn't an ongoing battle in the Dem Party, McCain would not have the luxury of starting his national campaign with a "bio tour." The great thing about this opening move is that while the press is far to jaded (or smart depending on your point of view) to cover it in depth, he is the GOP standard bearer, and therefore they have to report on him nightly.

The Dems understand this which is why all of their spokespersons have been taking direct shots at McCain and especially on todays morning news shows.

Funny, how you support someone with PTSD's, that admitted he knows nothing about the economy. Has had an affair while married to his 2nd wife, so he's no paragon of virtue, either. Doesn't know a sunni from a shia and relies on a senator, whose former party sees him as a "turncoat"!

you said:

I've not presumed to speak for anyone, least of all you, and I cannot even begin to catalog all of the things I know that you obviously do not.

No, you can't, can you? Matter of fact, what you do know, you could fit in a thimble!

Cool

No, I can't, but that really was very cool response from you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:34 am
Quote:
In other words, McCain couldn't raise in three months what Obama was able to raise just this past month alone (a fundraising month that actually represented a decline of more than a quarter from the previous month). Pitting McCain against Clinton, the Republican in three months took in just 70 percent of what the Democrat was able to bring in during just two months.
http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/4/7/15515/17432

Quote:
"As much as I don't want to sound unhelpful, it's time for a little tough love. If anyone thinks McCain raising $15 million in March is good news -- and crucially, just $4M of it from online and direct mail -- then they're probably part of the problem rather than part of the solution."
http://www.patrickruffini.com/2008/04/08/mccain-fundraising-a-call-to-arms/
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:08 am
Quote:
Doesn't know a sunni from a shia

Does anyone not an expert on the Muslim religion really know the difference?
Are there identifiers they wear to mark them as different?

Since so many on here are experts, then tell all of us...
What are their different holy days?
What are the diferences in the two sects?
Who are the different holy men?
What are the different traditions between them?

Since so many of you are self professed experts, perhaps you can tell all of us the differences.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 01:54 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:

Since so many of you are self professed experts, perhaps you can tell all of us the differences.

I don't think you want to be requiring of the next president that he attain the lofty level of a2k participants. Similar criteria got you your last president and that hasn't worked out very well.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 05:15 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the split between the two sects is based, primarily, on the political dispute that arose from issues of succession when the Prophet died.

The Shia, who at the time supported his son-in-law Ali, lost.

I'm sure a Believer can explain to us the doctrinal differences that either fueled the succession dispute or later arose to justify it, but it's tough to imagine that power for the sake of power was not a contributing factor.

I could easily be wrong, but I do not believe the schism was anything like that which occurred with the Christian Church. In that case there were more orthodox believers "protesting" against the rampant corruption in the Catholic Church. A major doctrinal dispute for them was whether salvation was dependent solely upon belief in Jesus as the son of God, or whether "good deeds" could buy one a ticket to heaven.

It's hard to imagine anyone really believed that the Pope or his bishops could actually sell someone a seat in heaven, so what was probably on the block was the support of the Church. Thus the "doctrinal" dispute was really theological cover for reformists (who may or may not have wanted a share of the power of the Church for themselves) efforts to sweep clean a quite corrupt institution.

So, the historical divide was predicated on a battle of succession. The current divide is predicated on the manner in which the winners, the Sunni, generally oppressed the losers, the Shia.

Witness Iraq: a Sunni minority, thanks to Saddam, generally lauded it over second class Iraqi Shia.

There is a reason the biggest slum in Baghdad, Sadr City, is named after a Shia leader.

There is a very important reason for McCain or any other candidate to understand, at least, the current political and social divisions between Sunni and Shia:America's most dangerous foes now reside within the world of Islam; it makes sense to understand your foes. Having said this, a couple of public comments are not an indication of whether or not McCain does appreciate the various differences.

This is Gotcha politics at work, and Gotcha politics is a tool of the intellectually weak or dishonest.

Even the Silver Tongued Obama has not been free of gaffes, nor will he be in the future. Are the crtics, in this matter, of McCain willing to concede that each and every slip of the tongue is a window into the soul or brain of their candidate? I doubt it, and even if they are, we're voting for a president, not a radio announcer.

I am convinced McCain understands the crucial difference between Sunni and Shia and there will be plenty of opportunties for him to prove this. Unfortunately, when he does, it won't make the headlines.

Then there are the really unseemly insinuations that these gaffes are evidence that McCain is halfway to senility.

I guess until old people are a clear constituency of the Democrats, agism, unlike racism or sexism, will not be much of a sin.

Imagine if Republicans made subtle and not so subtle comments that Obama's race or Hillary's gender was a reason not to vote for them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:29 pm
Quote:
I guess until old people are a clear constituency of the Democrats, agism, unlike racism or sexism, will not be much of a sin.

Imagine if Republicans made subtle and not so subtle comments that Obama's race or Hillary's gender was a reason not to vote for them.

Age, thus physical condition and mental 'condition', are valid criteria for concern in a manner that gender and race are not, particularly in certain sorts of jobs or responsibilities - and the Presidency would surely be included here.

I don't think McCain demonstrates functional degradation such that his age ought to rule him out. It's really a political problem, particularly in relation to Obama. If vitality or vigor are perceived as positives, and they are, then this is a disadvantage for McCain, one which his campaign is clearly aware of (as are his opponents). His opponents will focus on this (along with other 'weaknesses') and his supporters will try to minimize the perception or the damage likely to fall out from it.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:53 pm
Neither age
nor gender
nor colour of the skin is the issue.
The main issue is
wisdom to avoid barbaric war.(Iraq)
reality to face the present world.(Poverty)
and
Avoid spreading the eaver elusive AMERICAN DREAM.

We need a better leader with RATIONAL THOUGHT
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:04 am
Ramafuchs wrote:
Neither age
nor gender
nor colour of the skin is the issue.
The main issue is
wisdom to avoid barbaric war.(Iraq)
reality to face the present world.(Poverty)
and
Avoid spreading the eaver elusive AMERICAN DREAM.

We need a better leader with RATIONAL THOUGHT

"WE"???? Who/which countries do you include in "WE"?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 07:33 am
I have no idea who Taylor Marsh is, but she/he brings up some interesting points in this op/ed piece...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/taylor-marsh/obamas-america_b_95350.html

Quote:
Crucially, Team Obama doesn't want to count the votes of Michigan and Florida. (And let's note that in a winner-take-all system, Clinton would still be leading in delegates, 1,430 to 1,257, even without Michigan and Florida.) Under the existing system, Obama's current lead in the popular vote would nearly vanish if the results from Michigan and Florida were included in the total, and his lead in pledged delegates would melt almost to nothing. The difference in the popular vote would fall to 94,005 out of nearly 27 million cast thus far -- a difference of a mere four-tenths of 1 percentage point -- and the difference in delegates would plummet to about 30, out of the 2,024 needed to win. Add those states' votes to the totals, and take a sober look at Clinton's popular-vote victories in virtually all other large states, and the electoral dynamic changes. She begins to look like the almost certain nomine

Its an interesting piece, and it does raise some questions that both camps need to address quickly if either of them wants to win.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 04:44 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Age, thus physical condition and mental 'condition', are valid criteria for concern in a manner that gender and race are not, particularly in certain sorts of jobs or responsibilities - and the Presidency would surely be included here.

I don't think McCain demonstrates functional degradation such that his age ought to rule him out. It's really a political problem, particularly in relation to Obama. If vitality or vigor are perceived as positives, and they are, then this is a disadvantage for McCain, one which his campaign is clearly aware of (as are his opponents). His opponents will focus on this (along with other 'weaknesses') and his supporters will try to minimize the perception or the damage likely to fall out from it.

Age does not reliably predict mental condition any more than skin color or gender. You may argue that it does, but there are plenty of people who argue that skin color and gender do as well. I know, I know you are right and they are wrong but any number of them can make an argument for their case that is every bit as sensible as yours.

I applaud your practical consideration of agism as merely a political consideration to be addressed. I'm just not so sure you are able to view sexism and racism in the same cool light, but then the guy you support isn't "old," is he?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 04:58 pm
Quote:
Age does not reliably predict mental condition any more than skin color or gender. You may argue that it does, but there are plenty of people who argue that skin color and gender do as well. I know, I know you are right and they are wrong but any number of them can make an argument for their case that is every bit as sensible as yours.

So, as you board your American flight next week and you pass by the pilot's cabin and you notice that the pilot is 100 years old and his co-pilot a tad older, I know you'll take your seat with all the confidence you would had the pilot been black or asian or a female.

Right?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:03 pm
Quote:
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/15177.html
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:11 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

So, as you board your American flight next week and you pass by the pilot's cabin and you notice that the pilot is 100 years old and his co-pilot a tad older, I know you'll take your seat with all the confidence you would had the pilot been black or asian or a female.

Right?

Actually, I would be comfortable.
FAA regulations require commercial pilots to retire at 65, so I would have no problem with seeing my pilot..

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=10072

So for you to claim the pilot would be 100 years old is so much of an exaggeration as to be laughable.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 05:42 pm
Retirement is set at 65 for what reasons?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:51 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Right?

Please.

Extreme examples do not prove a point.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:34 pm
blatham wrote:

Frankly?

So corporations can rid themselves of the compensation burdens of employees that have been receiving progressive raises over 20 to 30 years.

This is unusually silly of you blatham, and so must be a base partisan attempt at casting McCain in a false, but dark light.

Do you really believe that people aged 66 and over should be turned out to pasture? I don't believe you do, but right now this and the C-Bomb is all you have against our boy.

World Leaders who were feeble and demented:

Winston Churchill
Charles DeGaulle
Golda Meier
Mohandas Gandhi
Nelson Mandela
Hosni Mubarak
Raul Castro
Manmohan Singh
Mwai Kibaki
Than Shwe
Konrad Adenauer
Ronals Reagan

Do you truly intend to pursue this line of attack?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:10 am
Woiyo
Any corner of the globe which avaoid barbarism and those people are US/ We/ You/ me
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:20 pm
Is diveded Dems in USA are worse than the united Germany?
Is united germany has the same language?
Does anyone care who ruin our day-to-day life?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:50 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:

Frankly?

So corporations can rid themselves of the compensation burdens of employees that have been receiving progressive raises over 20 to 30 years.

This is unusually silly of you blatham, and so must be a base partisan attempt at casting McCain in a false, but dark light.

Do you really believe that people aged 66 and over should be turned out to pasture? I don't believe you do, but right now this and the C-Bomb is all you have against our boy.

Do you truly intend to pursue this line of attack?

The question referred to retirement of pilots at 65.

Feel free to play whatever games you'd like re this issue but the simple fact is that it WILL play a part in the campaign quite regardless of what anyone might say about it (positive or negative). McCain's team will understand that and develop and put into play whatever strategies they can imagine which might serve to counteract.

As you can see from this poll noted at Fox TV, 27% believe McCain is too old to take the office with an additional 17% unsure while 56% consider it not a problem.
http://media.myfoxny.com/special/Rasmussen/Images/20080128-chart2.jpg
http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/Politics/Detail;jsessionid=DB7C6904C1301D37B06D4138E7D353FE?contentId=5600309&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.14.1&sflg=1
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 07:16 am
Divisiveness resulting from the Dem nomination battle will have unusual electoral consequences only if supporter passions run so deeply that voter turnout and ground-game activism will be significantly effected...a consequence I don't think very likely.

Further, that potential negative for the Dems is ameliorated by divisiveness in the other party (unhappiness with McCain from a number of quarters), by Dem's advantages in fund raising, and by the unpopularity of Bush (now polling lower than Nixon when he resigned) and his administration, by advantages accruing from vulnerable seats, and by the 80 per cent plus dissatisfaction with the direction the country has gone.

A more likely factor in which to invest a causal connection for damage to Dem chances is media 'coverage' of the campaigns and the issues. For example...
Quote:
Maybe because I'm a "San Francisco elite," when I heard what Barack Obama said at a Marin County fundraiser about the difficulties inherent in reaching out to small town voters, I said, "And…?" Obviously, context is everything, and perhaps it was not as artfully phrased as it might have been. Are voters so fragile that having someone point out that there is antipathy and bitterness in many economically impoverished areas that makes it hard to connect to voters and encourage them to vote for you is somehow an elitist attitude? Are we so immature that we need candidates to pat us on our heads and say, "It's okay, little voter, there, there…don't let me bother your pretty little head with reality"? Really, which is more condescending?

But you wouldn't have known that by CNN's coverage on Lou Dobbs Tonight. Guest host Kitty Pilgrim spent the whole hour talking about how this could potentially devastate Obama's campaign, bringing on concerned analysts and reporters alike to discuss how this shows Obama's elitist attitude (my God, he declined a cup of coffee for a glass of orange juice…and he can't bowl! That snob!). And while they acknowledged Obama's response, they saw fit to focus on Clinton and McCain's pouncing on this opportunity to go after Obama. At first, I was incredulous over the whole thing and figured that the media just needed something to talk about. But then I looked at the calendar.

Friday afternoon data dump. What came out of the White House this Friday? Bush sanctioned torture.
http://www.crooksandliars.com/

One might quarrel with the phrasing of that last sentence (I wouldn't, yet one could) but the incredible superficiality and upside-down values noted here by Belle, now so typical of cable news coverage, makes it pretty easy to predict that the next months will be marked by pretty constant and ubiquitous concentration on issues of 'character' - that is, the gossipy detailing of anything about the candidates which might make those candidates look easily definable or discountable (too effeminate, too old, adequately heroic, inadequately 'resolute', etc etc).
0 Replies