Man Hugs. How long is acceptable.

dadpad

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:34 am
Your best mate is suffering a relationship breakdown and you (awkwardly) open your arms to give solace.

How long is it acceptable to man hug before it becomes suspiciously gay?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,880 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:48 am
I don't think the hug is a problem, but rather what kind of kiss goes along with it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:54 am
http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/ozzieguillenkissingagain.jpg
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 06:58 am
I don't see any tongues, they must be straight.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:06 am
Dadpad,

If you are hugging a friend who is deeply upset--I really don't think the duration of the hug matters much, whether HE is gay or not. I don't think you need worry about the perception, even from a gay friend, that you are a gay and taking advantage of a bad scene; a hug is, in circumstances of distress, non-sexualized comfort. If you live in a social environment in which close male friends do not typically hug each other hello or goodbye, then you might want to watch for signs that you are to let go pretty quickly. I live in a hugging part of the culture, and I have noticed that guys give a brief bear hug, then let go. If guys have not seen each other in a long time, they may hug for longer--sometimes long enough that they feel obligated to punch each other, to demonstrate (unnecessarily)to observers, or to themselves, that this was not a gay move. When I have comforted a male friend--or, when I used to be a volunteer ambulance attendant, and a patient was in a lot of pain, physical or emotional--I have hugged him firmly around the shoulder. That's about all I know about male-male hugging, except to say I've never had a huggee think I was gay. Touch is healing to those who are bumming.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:37 am
as long as you give the obligatory slap on the back you're okay... you can hug for up to 4 back slaps... after that... buy some throw pillows Nancy.... you're a ****sucker....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 07:49 am
Both arms is overkill.

Sit next to him while you both drink a beer.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:16 am
Re: Man Hugs. How long is acceptable.
dadpad wrote:
Your best mate is suffering a relationship breakdown and you (awkwardly) open your arms to give solace.

How long is it acceptable to man hug before it becomes suspiciously gay?

Until you feel something oblong against your thigh.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:33 am
embrace your inner hugger, the world is changing. you can hug and cry all you want these days. go ahead, do it!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:40 am
dagmaraka wrote:
embrace your inner hugger, the world is changing. you can hug and cry all you want these days. go ahead, do it!

it is very annoying when women encourage men to make ass*s out of themselves
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:41 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

it is very annoying when women encourage men to make ass*s out of themselves

Since when do men need encouragement?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 09:29 am
so what to do if your man friend gets a little carried away?

Say he hugs for more than 4 back slaps and maybe slips a kinda nuzzle in on your neck which might have been just getting his head in the wrong place?

Can you just kinda say in your "man Voice" you know the voice thats an octave deeper and slightly growly erm long enough for a man hug (grunt).

Or do yell... POOFDA!!!! hey blokes!, bums to the ground when Bears around.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 02:49 pm
I am a sincere hugger. If I am offering condolence or support I wait for them to release.

I DO NOT DO THE BACK PAT.

I'm comfortable with my sexuality and in no way am I threatened by offering or recieving a hug from another male. This would also include homosexuals (kind of goes without saying, but for whatever reason, I think the fear of physical touch with another male is driven by some acute homophobia.)

T
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 03:13 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
I am a sincere hugger. If I am offering condolence or support I wait for them to release.

I'm comfortable with my sexuality and in no way am I threatened by offering or recieving a hug from another male. This would also include homosexuals (kind of goes without saying, but for whatever reason, I think the fear of physical touch with another male is driven by some acute homophobia.)

T
K
O

Men don't refrain because we fear touch, or because we don't want to look weak, we do it beacuse we don't want to act like women. Women do their thing we men do our thing. This nonsense that men who can't or don't go around hugging everyone and crying are not in touch with themselves is spread around by those (mostly women) who want men to abandon our ways. What some men need to get through their thick skulls is that after they have allowed themselves to be neutered women quickly figure out that they want a man for a mate, not an it.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 03:24 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

Men don't refrain because we fear touch, or because we don't want to look weak, we do it beacuse we don't want to act like women. Women do their thing we men do our thing. This nonsense that men who can't or don't go around hugging everyone and crying are not in touch with themselves is spread around by those (mostly women) who want men to abandon our ways. What some men need to get through their thick skulls is that after they have allowed themselves to be neutered women quickly figure out that they want a man for a mate, not an it.

Word. These bitches need to be put in their goddamned place, and that place is in the kitchen where I will make sex to them while they cook pancakes until they have babies I will throw footballs to.

<serious heavy-metal power chords sound from the clouds above>
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 03:40 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

1) You use "we" and "our" inaccurately.
2) You are assuming male and female "things" are independant of culture. In many cultures, male body language is significantly different. In many cases, one might describe it as "acting like a girl."
3) A man is not neutered by acting in any particular way of his own design. He is neutered when he "doesn't have the balls" (pun intended) to express himself as he sees fit for fear of social or cultural pressure to act "manly" etc.

T
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:00 pm
True TKO, but in our culture men were pressured to abandon traditional masculine behavior, many did, but this blurring of the sexes has not worked out well for women or for men. Men did not change because we particularly wanted to, we did it because of guilt over historical male subjugation of women (which was not as wide spread as many claim but was bad enough) and because women said that they wanted men to become more mellow. Men became more like women in large part because we took women at their word, we thought that the change would get us laid more often. Turned out to be not correct, the men who do the best with women generally are the ones who resisted giving up traditional masculine behaviours. Feminized men have lots of female friends, they don't steal very many female hearts, and they don't get the animalistic lusting sex.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:05 pm
So next time a hug a guy, I'll pat his back like I'm doing a 80s drum solo then spike a football and slama mountain dew... no. A BEER!

All in the name of protecting animalistic sex! I'll try and do my part to help.

T
K
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:07 pm
Hug as long as you want.

Just remember to do something manly afterwards.

2007 Snickers Ad for Super Bowl
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 04:21 pm
Dude, no headrests on shoulders - unless there's tears, the backlslapping is rather essential - I mean, why did she break up - maybe she found out he was gay??????? And you don't wanna give him the wrong idea!

Hmmm...you know, the four backslap things seem just about the right amount, along with getting the bloke a beer, or two, or three. However if you leave to get a beer (which most guys will do to remove the arm), it don't go back over...unless the beers have gotten to you (and I'm not speaking about me here...I'm making excuses for you lot, cause I don't wanna offend your sexuality). A couple of friendly backhands to the arm as you tell him 'it'll all work itself out'...and then you take him out for a night on the town and try to get him laid...

Ahh, I'd make a good therapist.
0 Replies