Creepy? honorable?

rabel22

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 02:19 pm
Gee! I didn't know I had the right to tell others wether or not I wanted them in my party. OK Cyclo. I don't want you in the democratic party. Your are not understanding of others opinions. Since i've been a democrat longer than you you have to leave the party. Perhaps you would make a good communist?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 02:31 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Gee! I didn't know I had the right to tell others wether or not I wanted them in my party. OK Cyclo. I don't want you in the democratic party. Your are not understanding of others opinions. Since i've been a democrat longer than you you have to leave the party. Perhaps you would make a good communist?

Perhaps. Far be it from me to tell you what you have the right to say.

My generation, and our intolerance of war mongering, represent the future of the party. Your generation represents the past. Not hard to see which way things are going.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:11 pm
Eek, Cycloptichorn. There are people of all generations voting for Obama.

I have to agree that this kind of posturing is counterproductive.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:16 pm
Meanwhile, interesting examination here of claims Hillary's making about how many votes she's gotten compared to Obama:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/29/21457/9858
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
Eek, Cycloptichorn. There are people of all generations voting for Obama.

I have to agree that this kind of posturing is counterproductive.

Sure; but the older one is, the less likely they are to vote for Obama, at least in the Dem primaries. There's little doubt that the current election represents a generational gap. Part of this has to do with strong anti-black and anti-Mulsim (even though he isn't one, eh heh he) sentiment amongst the older generations, and I have little tolerance for it.

And; I doubt my opinions on a message board really amount to much in the big picture. I have consistently spoken my exact opinion for the entire time I've been here and see little reason to stop doing so now. The poster in question is, frankly, something of a jerk and has acted that way towards me for months now. To say that my posting is counter-productive ignores the fact that there's little 'productive' about anyone's posts here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:28 pm
True, it's hard to know whether what we say has any effect on peoples' thought processes, positive or negative. Several people (mostly IRL) have told me that I convinced them to vote for Obama -- but maybe they would've gotten there on their own anyway. (And maybe they were lying to get me to shut up already. ;-))

In the spirit of saying what we think, though, I thought that kind of posting doesn't help anything... and yeah, I tend to want to forward the conversation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't often enough that I don't get particularly surprised or perturbed -- but I keep trying, to various degrees.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 03:55 pm
Fair 'nuff.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 09:27 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

And I'm a conservative Democrat.

No sir, you are not.

We don't want you in the party, so please stop saying things like this.

Your aggressive war stance disqualifies you, amongst other idiocies you spout from time to time, sorry to say.

Cycloptichorn

Who is "we"? Do you speak for the Democrat Party? I think not. I believe he has a right to label himself, and align himself politically, however he wishes. You have a right to disagree, but you have neither the right nor the ability to exclude him.

Intolerance, whatever its motivation or rationalization, is a regressive thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 08:53 am
This is a good overview of the whole Michigan/ Florida brouhaha:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-qa30-2008may30,0,5237280.story?page=1&track=ntothtml

I don't know if I'll have time to watch it tomorrow but I'd love to.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 05:46 pm
Looks like Hillary is going to take her fight for Michigan's democracy to the Credentials Committee in August.

Quote:
Clinton's chief delegate hunter Harold Ickes angrily informed the committee that Clinton had instructed him to reserve her right to appeal the matter to the Democrats' credentials committee, which could potentially drag the matter to the party's convention in August.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080531/ap_on_el_pr/primary_scramble_40&printer=1
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 06:32 pm
oralloy wrote:
Looks like Hillary is going to take her fight for Michigan's democracy to the Credentials Committee in August.

Quote:
Clinton's chief delegate hunter Harold Ickes angrily informed the committee that Clinton had instructed him to reserve her right to appeal the matter to the Democrats' credentials committee, which could potentially drag the matter to the party's convention in August.

I doubt it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 07:07 pm
honestly guys, look at what this whole post is about, which is actually a part of the american political process.

im not a genius, but even i can see how much crap this whole system is.

wow are we effed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:06 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Quote:

I doubt it.

Cycloptichorn

I hope she keeps fighting for Michigan's democracy, but even if she doesn't, Michigan is going to fight it out at the Credentials Committee.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:16 pm
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Quote:

I doubt it.

Cycloptichorn

I hope she keeps fighting for Michigan's democracy, but even if she doesn't, Michigan is going to fight it out at the Credentials Committee.

Obama will probably restore the votes to whole before the convention, though I wish he wouldn't.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:43 pm
Allowing a state that by all rights should have zero participation in the convention half their votes is bad enough, but to allow that state to in addition send all of its people to the parties is worse. The ability to reward citizens with a week at the convention is old school patronage, the way you put the hurt on the state party is to take away their goodie bag.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 04:50 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Allowing a state that by all rights should have zero participation in the convention half their votes is bad enough, but to allow that state to in addition send all of its people to the parties is worse. The ability to reward citizens with a week at the convention is old school patronage, the way you put the hurt on the state party is to take away their goodie bag.

Michigan by all rights should not be disenfranchised.

And people who don't like being disenfranchised by Obama and Dean should remember that McCain cares about their vote and won't disenfranchise them.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:27 am
oralloy wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

Michigan by all rights should not be disenfranchised.

And people who don't like being disenfranchised by Obama and Dean should remember that McCain cares about their vote and won't disenfranchise them.

The actions of the state's Dem leadership disenfranchised the people, not the national party.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:05 am
oralloy wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Clinton, once viewed as the party's all-but-presumptive nominee, is not inclined to wage a protracted dispute over delegates from the unsanctioned Michigan primary, despite feeling shortchanged by a weekend compromise by the party's rules committee which she could appeal, according to McAuliffe. "I don't think she's going to go to the credentials committee," he said on NBC's Today show.

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/06/barack_obama_countdown_to_nomi.html
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:15 am
Advocate wrote:
The actions of the state's Dem leadership disenfranchised the people, not the national party.

Wrong. All Michigan did was challenge a corrupt system after New Hampshire was given leave to ignore the rules and discard the election reforms that had just been passed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 10:08 am
Looks like Florida doesn't like being disenfranchised either:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/services/newspaper/printedition/local/sfl-flbdelegates0602pnjun03,0,6437522.story

I don't know about this "stay home" stuff though. Go vote straight ticket Republican -- see if the fascists at the DNC get the message not to disenfranchise their own voters.
0 Replies