Creepy? honorable?

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:00 am
Advocate wrote:
Allowing primary votes in the two states would, in essence, award anarchy.

Nah. It would award democracy.

Advocate wrote:
It would make a mockery of party rules, and diminish the power of the party.

It would make a mockery of Obama's attempts to disenfranchise his way to the nomination.

Advocate wrote:
The voters in those states should question of judgment of their Dem leaders.

I question Obama's efforts to disenfranchise me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:01 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Should Hillary lose the primary, she most definitely will invoke a lawsuit
in Michigan and Florida, for disenfranchising the voters of their constitutional
right. I don't put anything past her - she's as mean spirited as they can
get in order to gain power.

That Kuebler-Ross statement of e-brown is funny, but so right.

Supporting Michigan's right to vote is mean spirited???
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:03 am
Arendt wrote:
"If 25 states all opt for Jan 3, so what?"

Is that really what you would want? If you think about how much money it takes to run these campaigns already, and think about how difficult it would be for someone who is not rich enough to finance his/her own campaign entirely from the get-go(i'm talking Romney, Blumberg, or Corzine rich), it would be impossible for a little known, not superbly connected, or fabulously wealthy individual/politician to find their footing and run a good enough campaign to make themselves known to A) the voters and B) financiers, if 25 states voted on one day.

So yes, you are right, it IS about power. It's one of the few (and hardly sufficient) restraints on well financed, and finely oiled political and advertising machines from trouncing on (again let me stress RELATIVE) underdogs before they can prove their mettle and establish themselves on more even ground.

The democratic national committee is one hundred percent justified in putting teeth behind their pledge to negate the delegates from those states which broke the rules. They are there for a reason, and the country, not to mention democracy, wouldnt be better off if they were habitually broken.

Yes, but leaving aside "the rules" for a second, the article that kicked off this thread was about a possible revote that would have complied with those rules.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:05 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
No one appears to be taking a principaled view of this matter. Both candidates are merely pursuing their own short-term self interests: the DNC appears to be concerned only about its power within the party. No one, not even the DNC, appears to be concerned about the exclusion of the voters in two of our largest states.

The principled stand is to allow people to reap what they sow, to not keep people from the consequences of their actions. It is a hard lesson to be sure, but people need to understand that they are responsible for what is done in their name.

So when Obama disenfranchises me, he needs to reap my vote for McCain in November.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:11 am
Oral, I have to admire you in a way. You are able to state complete nonsense with absolute aplomb. I guess this makes you a good Rep.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:41 am
Advocate wrote:
Oral, I have to admire you in a way. You are able to state complete nonsense with absolute aplomb. I guess this makes you a good Rep.

No nonsense here. I'm just objecting to Obama's attempts to disenfranchise me.

And I'm a conservative Democrat. Were I a Republican, Obama would not have been able to disenfranchise me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:42 am
oralloy wrote:

And I'm a conservative Democrat.

No sir, you are not.

We don't want you in the party, so please stop saying things like this.

Your aggressive war stance disqualifies you, amongst other idiocies you spout from time to time, sorry to say.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:58 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No sir, you are not.

Yes I am.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

You don't get a say as to what party I am a member of.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Your aggressive war stance disqualifies you,

No it doesn't. Going to war against those who attack America is a proud Democratic tradition. Remember FDR? Truman? Those fine A-bombs we dropped on those pesky Japanese when they refused to surrender?

Both Hillary and Obama would continue the war in Afghanistan, and possibly expand into Pakistan. And rightly so.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
amongst other idiocies you spout from time to time, sorry to say.

Your discomfort with the truth does not make the truth idiotic.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:02 am
Interesting; because neither Iraq nor Iran has attacked us in any fashion, yet you support the Iraq war and are an advocate of nuking Iran.

We don't want war-mongers like you in the party.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:12 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Interesting; because neither Iraq nor Iran has attacked us in any fashion, yet you support the Iraq war and are an advocate of nuking Iran.

Fiction. I am neutral on the Iraq war, and an opponent of nuking Iran.

(Unless we are talking about a hypothetical where Iran nukes the US or Israel first, or if some new information comes out that shows that Iran did 9/11, or something similar.)

Cycloptichorn wrote:
We don't want war-mongers like you in the party.

You don't get a choice.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:15 pm
oralloy wrote:
I am neutral on the Iraq war, and an opponent of nuking Iran.

(Unless we are talking about a hypothetical where Iran nukes the US or Israel first, or if some new information comes out that shows that Iran did 9/11, or something similar.)

I do support bombing Iran with conventional weapons.

So does Joe Lieberman.

(Nothing major -- just a limited strike against a few nuclear sites.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:18 pm
oralloy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I am neutral on the Iraq war, and an opponent of nuking Iran.

I do support bombing Iran with conventional weapons.

So does Joe Lieberman.

(Nothing major -- just a limited strike against a few nuclear sites.)

Neither of you are Democrats.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No sir, you are not.

We don't want you in the party

Cyclo - why do you do things like this? You appear to be actively trying to turn people away from your party, and the candidate you've indicated a preference for.

Mr. Obama speaks to to unity and inclusion.

"we don't want you in the party" isn't how he's been campaigning
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:44 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No sir, you are not.

We don't want you in the party

Cyclo - why do you do things like this? You appear to be actively trying to turn people away from your party, and the candidate you've indicated a preference for.

Mr. Obama speaks to to unity and inclusion.

"we don't want you in the party" isn't how he's been campaigning

I suppose that's why people are supporting him, and they wouldn't support me. Good thing I'm not running for office.

It's not popular to call one's self a Republican these days, but it does no good to have Dems who support Republican positions continually. I don't want that and it hurts the brand.

He made the appropriate comparison - to Joe Lieberman. I don't want him in the party either. I would love to see us win enough seats in the Senate to kick his traitor ass out of his committee chair and tell him to go play with his Republican friends.

It's not just MORE Democrats, it's more and BETTER Dems which are needed. Wanting to start an aggressive war with Iran is antithetical to what the Dem party stands for...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:46 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No sir, you are not.

Your aggressive war stance disqualifies you, amongst other idiocies you spout from time to time, sorry to say.

Cycloptichorn

Follow the light, oralloy ... step away from the Dark Side.

Republicans would be glad to accept you into our group.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's not just MORE Democrats, it's more and BETTER Dems which are needed. Cycloptichorn

go back to nimh's polls thread - you need more - you can qualify them another day
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:57 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's not just MORE Democrats, it's more and BETTER Dems which are needed. Cycloptichorn

go back to nimh's polls thread - you need more - you can qualify them another day

Not worried about the election this Fall too much. Grandpa John doesn't have what it takes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:18 pm
Don't you remember we have Diebold on our side, Cyclops?

Still not worried?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Not worried about the election this Fall too much. Grandpa John doesn't have what it takes.

Cycloptichorn

You were saying the same thing in 2004. Why be a tout and set yourself up to look foolish again? Why not just sit back and see what happens. There will be plenty of time to gloat if you are correct, this time.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:24 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Don't you remember we have Diebold on our side, Cyclops?

Still not worried?

Diebold is trying as hard as they can to sell off their unprofitable and unpopular voting machine business.

No, I'm still not worried in the slightest.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies