The Lefty Boom

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:54 am
Tartarin wrote:
I particularly like, "participation in prohibited weapons programs," a considerable dimunution of the original claims made by the admin, a phrasing Rove would be proud of.

Yeh, the phrasing should make #1 an easy one, also because there is no specification of time - there is already prove enough of "clandestine Iraqi participation in prohibited weapons programs", just not of any taking place at the time when Bush decided he had to go to war about it, instantly.

But #2 - "incontravertable evidence of longstanding high level Regime liason with Al Queda" - thats a brave prediction - I'm curious how that one will work out.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:55 am
BillW wrote:
On The Diane Rehm Show - today, Rep. Dennis Kucinich calls Bush a Bush - the liar he is and perpetrator of fraud on the American people. Is a call for prison time far behind Question

Whiners, the righties are a bunch of sniveling whiners, get a new act!

I thought it was the left that were the whiners. Always going on about how mean and rotten the right is and how Bush is an evil lying replicant of satan...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm
"Always going on about how mean and rotten the right is and how Bush is an evil lying replicant of satan..."

Gee, and it took even less than three years for us to prove we're correct!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

There is a paradox inherent to the use of the word "whine" to characterize disagreement or dissent.

It's a good rhetorical tool (one that I overuse) but the paradox is that at some point you have to concede that the comments *about* whining can themselves be construed as whining.

This is why it's best not to let oneself become hung up on the word. A discussion about who whines will almost inevitably sound childish.

I use the word, but when I do it's almost always just a value-laden rhetorical tool.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

There ya go.

Edit: This was a response to a post that was deleted by the author a second before I posted.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:11 pm
Bush is an evil, lying Republican, but that's not all he is. He's much, much more. For instance, he's also a puppet or better yet, a dummy, like Charlie McCarthy. He's being used, and he's even willing about it. I feel the climate shifting. I surely hope it continues toward reason and away from scare tactics. It's like the guys who get rich selling special insurance for cancer. People buy it because they're afraid. I've seen reason win out in this country before (as in the first instance of Bush). So I'm hoping the same phenomenon will take place in Bush Act II.

And Timber, I know you're not a fundamentalist. That's why I asked if you know any of these guys personally. Have you been to their churches? Have you read any of their books? You didn't answer that question.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:12 pm
Lola, do you really believe in evil?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:13 pm
Well, let us note what the post said. It said that Democrats were whiners. They whine about Bush being an evil, lying Republican. I don't know about whining, but I do think that's exactly what Bush is.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:14 pm
well, no, Craven. You're right. I don't. But it's pathological enough to resemble what evil would be like if it existed.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:22 pm
Does Republican=Evil or just Bush? Do you rate Bush on the same level of Evil as Saddam or Bin Laden? Or, is he worse in your opinion?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:24 pm
Equating Republicans to evil would be just about the stupidest manefestation of partisanship that I could imagine.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:25 pm
That's a neat avatar, Craven. But after I'd looked at it for a while, I found it reminded me of those films of chimp and ape behaviors and language.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:29 pm
If I believe Bush is a dummy, being used by those who are behind him, then obviously I wouldn't think it's only Bush who is dangerously deluded. I think it's all the organized fundamentalists who are "evil." Not all Republicans. Obviously there are some Republicans who object to the cooption of the Republican party by the fundamentalists. They started organizing at least as long ago as when Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell got involved on a national level. What's the name of that organization? I forget. (or try to.) It's a political organization using churches as a mechanism. Go to any fundamentalist church and listen to what they say. Any reasoning person will have no trouble believing in a right wing conspiracy. It exists.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:31 pm
Lola wrote:
If I believe Bush is a dummy, being used by those who are behind him, then obviously I wouldn't think it's only Bush who is dangerously deluded. I think it's all the organized fundamentalists who are "evil." They started organizing at least as long ago as when Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell got involved on a national level. What's the name of that organization? I forget. (or try to.) It's a political organization using churches as a mechanism. Go to any fundamentalist church and listen to what they say. Any reasoning person will have no trouble believing in a right wing conspiracy. It exists.

You mean like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 12:35 pm
Using religion for a platform is very different than running a political machine through churches. This is the USA and hopefully it will still be legal, after the actions of this administration, to express your opinion based on any ideology
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 02:19 pm
The separation of Church and State is an obtainable ideology - no longer a fact!!!!
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 01:26 am
I am very much afraid that nimh has missed some of the vital points concerning re-districting in states of the US. This is not unusual since re-districting is usually an arcane topic. However, it is of prime importance.

It does not appear that nimh is privy to current news in the Netherlands. I will attempt to help.

quote from the Chicago Tribune- Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2003.

Governor calls 3rd Legislative Session

Austin
Republican Governor Rick Perry on Tuesday called a third special session of the Legislature to redraw Texas' congressional districts after the Democrats thwarted two previous attempts by fleeing the state.

Perry said the session would begin Monday. During two previous GOP efforts to redraw Texas ' congresional map. Democratic law makers slipped across the state line, beyond the reach of the law in the Lone Star State, depriving the Republicans of the quorum needed to conduct business.

Democrats have a 17-15 majority in the current Texas congressional delegation in Washington.

The GOP is pusing plans that would give Republicans as many as 21 seats"

end of quote

Now, these actions are important actions.

Raising the number of people in the House of Representatives so a party can have an even greater edge and advantage in passing legislation.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 01:28 am
I guess you could call the action of the Republican Governor in Texas --"Realpolitik"
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 08:42 am
Or possibly, lay down for DeLay.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:27 am
LOL Mamaj.....you've hit it right on the head, your aim couldn't be better
0 Replies