Stand by your man?

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:33 am
An interesting editorial in my paper today starts like this:

Quote:
T o the next high-profile guy caught cheating on his wife, here's a word of advice.

Don't drag the missus to the news conference. Don't persuade her to stand next to you when you put on your Sorry Honey face and try to salvage your career.

If you do, her presence will be proof that you're not sorry at all.

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer faces possible criminal penalties for serving as a client of a prostitution ring, law enforcement officials said this week. The news set off an epidemic of schadenfreude throughout New York, where Spitzer earned his fame rooting out corporate corruption and prosecuting all forms of moral turpitude, including prostitution rings.

Spitzer apologized to the public but "first and most importantly, to my family." He vowed to regain the trust of his wife and three daughters, which he acknowledged might take a while.

What a crock.

(Read all about it: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/susan_nielsen/index.ssf?/base/editorial/1205283321109020.xml&coll=7)

How would it change things if the wife simply said "Screw it, buddy, you're on your own."?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,333 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:49 am
i bet Silda's history as soon as the youngest daughter is out the door... if not sooner.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:53 am
Region Philbis wrote:
i bet Silda's history as soon as the youngest daughter is out the door... if not sooner.

i don't understand why so many of these women stick around. i guess it's to somewhat salvage the husband's reputation and image.. but who knows. i wouldn't do it if the situation was reversed.

maybe the relationship was over, and they were together for show. you never know how this stuff works behind the scenes.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm
It's not just in this case though, as the editorial points out, it is in every case of some disgraced politician. I think that in most of the cases the marriage is still intact.

I know that people work through all kinds of problems -- many problems that are much bigger than your millionaire husband hiring a prostitute.

I'd never really thought about what role the wife really plays at these press conferences'. Time after time, there they are, "slightly behind and to the right".

Weird.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm
This just happened here in Michigan. The mayor of Detroit is currently caught up in some pretty heavy stuff...including the possible murder of a stripper. He has been doing all this "my apologies to my family" crap for months now. And they stand there, looking stoic and solomnly nod their heads. It's such bullshit.

I'm sorry but if you've managed to spend 9 million dollars of the city's money under the noses of the people and the city council on your own personal stuff (like a Navigator for his wife), take your mistress on vacations covered as business trips, commit purjury and continue to apologize and then do it again (and again) .....I think the wife has the right to leave your sorry ass.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:22 pm
I'm in the middle of Nick Paumgarten's New Yorker article about Spitzer; it's in the December 10, 2007 issue, title, "The Humbling of Eliot Spitzer" - interesting read. Anyway, quoting, "Silda worked for many years as a corporate lawyer at Skaden, Arps, then, with some misgivings, gave up her practice to look after the family and her husband's political career".
I read yesterday somewhere that she had been at the advisor's meeting after all this came out and advised that he not step down immediately.

I don't get the wife standing by at the speech thing either, but I figure that there is some level of investment in the marriage and career that makes a wife hang on for the ugly public speech episode..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:37 pm
Anyone remember Wilbur Mill's fall from grace?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/tours/scandal/tidalbas.htm

At least Spitzer didn't insist that the Working Girl and his Understanding Wife were Best Friends.

I can remember my mother and her friends being rip-roaring furious with the two-timing SOB.

Quote:
Of course," Mills said, "I am embarrassed and humiliated by the entire turn of events, and I want to apologize for the discomfort my involvement caused all of the well-wishers who have expressed their genuine concern for my family, especially Polly, who is blaming herself for not accompanying us that night even with her broken foot."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:06 pm
Yes, Noddy, I do remember. I alluded to it in another thread fairly recently, though I'd forgotten the details.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:00 pm
Osso--

We aren't that wise--but we've followed years and years of other peoples' folly. Therefore we seem wise.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:05 pm
Re: Stand by your man?
boomerang wrote:
How would it change things if the wife simply said "Screw it, buddy, you're on your own."?

Given the reports that his wife was trying to persuade him to stay on as governor perhaps a more speedy resignation?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:11 pm
Sometimes I wonder how real some of these high profile marriages are.

they very well could be marriages of convenience, prostitutes helping keep them normal sexually

as a woman, I dont give a flying **** what my husband does for a living.
He could be the president of the united NATIONS for all i care.

Sleep with another woman and it is over and I hope you sink and sink fast in your own cheating behaviors ass munch..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:13 pm
I agree, shewolf... but I also don't care what anybody else does, either.

I wouldn't wanna mess with you in a dark alley!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:17 pm
This guy is a great example of my 'wondering'

he claims to have spent 80 grand on women?
So he cant say " oops.. my first time.. sorry honey"

He is saying

OOPS! ten years honey. My bad..

bullshit.

Once? I could possibly understand working that out.

years and years and 80 grand?

Can I call her stupid with out being smacked myself? Laughing
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:46 pm
His wife may have known and approved or at least suspected. It is a bit presumptuous to assume that she had a problem with the sex. I suspect that she must have a problem with him getting caught though.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:48 pm
who cares. he paid for sex, big effin deal we got mor eimportant **** to care about, prostitution should be legal by now ffs, why do u think we have males goin psychoa nd shooting everyone?

CUZ THEY ARENT GETTIN ANY. serious ****.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:51 pm
So men go crazy and shoot people because women won't f* them?

Damn!

It's all our fault, girls.

I'm going to have T-shirts printed: "F* a psycho for saftey's sake".
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:53 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
who cares. he paid for sex, big effin deal we got mor eimportant **** to care about, prostitution should be legal by now ffs, why do u think we have males goin psychoa nd shooting everyone?

CUZ THEY ARENT GETTIN ANY. serious ****.

The People of NY decide, it is their opinion that counts, and 70% said that he needed to go, said that this was a huge deal.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 02:54 pm
Personally I think prostitution should be legal, too, and I don't care who is having sex with who but as it stands now he broke the law.

I just don't see why all these wives don't say their foot is broken and they can't stand up there with their two-timing men.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 04:09 pm
I wouldn't stand up there either way - whether I'd decided the marriage was not salvageable - or even if I had decided the marriage WAS perhaps salvageable- that's nobody's business. Where is their self-respect and dignity?

Standing up there is tacit approval of or signaling that she UNDERSTANDS what he did or who he is, and that she's somehow willing to share the humiliation and/or responsibility for it and that burden.

I don't care how much I loved the guy - if he did something dishonest or illegal - I'm not going to embarrass myself by connecting myself with it and making MY life a public spectacle.

Besides the fact that marriage and sexual relationships are private. If he doesn't prefer to keep it private - that doesn't mean that she can't still keep her business private - and if it were me, they'd all have to just wonder what I thought or where I was because I wouldn't be there sharing the spotlight with a guy who obviously didn't care very much about sharing everything with me.

I remember four years ago when either the governor or a senator from NJ was outed as being gay and giving his lover a job. His wife stood there smiling sadly. Yeah right...and then in England this MP was soliciting sex from a rent boy and his wife just smiled and said, "I forgive him.." Well maybe you do - but sweetheart - he's GAY! Do you really want to share him for the rest of your marriage? And who knows who you'll be sharing him with?

I couldn't be a politician's wife - I wouldn't be able to behave the way the handlers would ask me to. I'd have to say - "This is on you buddy - you made your bed - lie in it - with whomever you choose. But as far as me even looking at you, much less having everyone else look at me look at you- forget it. You deal with it- have fun."
And then I'd take the kids and go on a nice, long vacation somewhere- out of the spotlight.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 04:21 pm
The only way a cheating husband would ever get me to stand beside him at a podium while he admitted his infidelity would be if I was planning to make my own statement after his.

No way I'd stand there silently. I'd make him pay. Losing his job would be the least of his worries.
0 Replies