Not Saying There's anything Wrong With That, But...

snood

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 02:44 am
Does anyone else see a blaring streak of hypocritical cynicism in the Clintons' latest penchant for touting, subtly and not-so, a Clinton/Obama ticket?

I mean, coming into Pennsylvania, even with Clinton the favorite to win the primary, wouldn't it be just peachy for the Clintons if they could influence (for instance) some of the big black bloc of voters in Philly that they could have their cake and eat it (get Obama and not vote against Hillary) by just voting for Hillary?

Of course, you may believe that Clinton really wants Obama as a running mate. You may think the glaring contradiction of saying he isn't ready for the Oval Office out of one side of her mouth, while saying he would be a good candidate for the first-in-line should something happen to her out of the other is a mere matter of incidental politics.

I mean, it's a free country and one can believe what one wants.

But, damn.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,698 • Replies: 36
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 06:49 am
The Clintons arrogance is disgusting.

Why would Obama consider anything Clinton has to say at this point when you take into consideration HE IS WINNING!!!!

Obama must not ignore these tactics and go after her head on.

Challenge her so called experience. Checkers the Dog live in the White House for 8 years. Checkers is as qualified as Hillary I suppose.

At 3:00AM and the phone is ringing? Hillary could not find billing records that were in the White House. How will she find the phone?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:04 am
Whatever you think about Hillary, one thing that you can be sure of, is that she is a savvy politician. The fact that this thread was even written indicates to me that her latest tactic is a cause of concern for the supporters of Obama.

Since I am not particularly enamoured of any of the three candidates, I will just sit back and watch the show!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:35 am
It's more BS. You know it is. Convince as many simpletons as possible to vote for her by saying that she just might put Obama on her ticket. She's not saying she would but that she "might". Mere bait and nothing more. Throw it out there in the water and see who takes it. In the meantime, Obama is in the lead and has stated again and again that he's not interested in the VP spot so, what's her point? It's nothing more than parlor tricks and smoke and mirrors.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:36 am
I love it -- it backs her into a corner.

If he's not qualified to be president -- as she keeps saying -- why is she willing to have him a heartbeat away from the presidency?

She can't have it both ways. Either he's qualified or she's being irresponsible in floating the idea of having a naive young speechifying-but-incompetent guy as her #2.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:37 am
Aside from that, I see it as a recognition that she's not going to win, and hoping that she can get the VP slot. That's what Bill Clinton's "unstoppable" stuff is about.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:40 am
Wll, as her husband said on Saturday, they would have the election sewn up with Obama owning the urban votes, the educated votes, and her rural and blue-collar constituency so, they aren't interested in his experience or the lack of in this respect. They just want to grab his supporters.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:41 am
Possibly. I don't think that's the primary motivation, though. I mean, why would Obama supporters vote for her based on that, as opposed to just voting for Obama?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:42 am
I haven't heard either of them utter a word about her being the VP. Although Obama is in the lead, they're still imagining this scenario as she being the Prez and Obama as VP.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:44 am
sozobe wrote:
Possibly. I don't think that's the primary motivation, though. I mean, why would Obama supporters vote for her based on that, as opposed to just voting for Obama?

Because they're still trying to tell us, as subtly as possible here, that a black man cannot and will not win the presidency.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:45 am
That's what they're saying, yes.

What I'm getting at is that Bill Clinton's "unstoppable" stuff (I can get the quotes) is, IMO, aimed at getting people thinking about Hillary being the VP if Obama gets the nomination. If they're "unstoppable" on a joint ticket, they're unstoppable in either direction. The unity of the Democratic party stuff still applies. Etc.

I don't think it's likely to happen, but I think that's the motivation behind it.

(Btw hadn't seen your post a minute before the first one I posted in this thread, I was responding to Phoenix.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:47 am
eoe wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Because they're still trying to tell us, as subtly as possible here, that a black man cannot and will not win the presidency.

Could be.

Anyway, I love the contradiction so I'm happy it's out there. Hilzoy (a blogger) has called for some enterprising journalist to ask this of Hillary directly. Incompetent, unqualified VP or Obama's actually qualified after all? Which is it?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:48 am
There's alot of questions to be asked. That's one of them.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:01 am
Sen. Clinton truly wanting Sen. Obama as her running-mate? Not likely at all. She hates this guy, because he has disrupted what was supposed to be her cake walk to the nomination, and he has trodden on her personal sense of entitlement. Would Obama consider such a deal? No way. He's ahead, and, unless the voters go deeply off-track in PA and NC, he is going to stay that way. Also, Clinton, already an angry person, whose hatred of loss is further fueled by her angry husband, is not about to stop fighting until the last super-delegate's arm has been twisted off. To the Clintons, politics has always been a blood sport.

Now, why, perhaps, Hillary dropped the notion about Obama's being her running mate: A. She wants to stress that SHE is in the driver's seat (when she's not), B. She wants to know how this idea would resonate across the country (apparently, not much), C. She wanted to beat Obama to the punch, because she fears (foolishly) that he might suggest she'd make a great vice president (I don't think Obama would suggest this, unless she publicly begged for the spot--a highly unlikely outcome).

The big election news for me in recent weeks has been in watching the page-3 and page-5 stories about the disarray (and sniping) among Clinton's advisers. She is being advised to adopt conflicting strategies--at the same time. This is a normal consequence in politics when you get too many chefs in the kitchen. And when all the cooks are inveterate spin-meisters--and desperate. Obama's advisers, by contrast, have been consistently prescient. This success fans the flames of still greater desperation among Hillary's group. I look for more whacked-out ideas to come from them--via her speeches.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:24 am
I liked this response from Tom Daschle:

Quote:
"It may be the first time in history that the person who is running number two would offer the person running number one the number two position," Tom Daschle said on NBC's "Meet the Press."
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:16 am
The only reason she is doing it is so she can use his negative response against him and his message of unity.

There is nothing at all sincere in the gesture. The sad part is that it will probably work and all those suckers will hear her say "oh, did you think I meant this year when I said it could happen some day??

I liked Tom Daschle's comment too.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:36 am
I don't think it will work at all. She's got too much ground to make up. She's clearly wooing the super delegates. If it works then McCain will in all likelihood get elected.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:49 am
Did you know that McCain's campaign manager and Clinton's chief strategist both work for the same firm? Makes ya wonder...
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:28 am
Hired guns mixed with house guns inevitably leads to trouble--esp. for Hillary, whose loyalty to the house guns runs long and deep. She has already gotten in some jams by listening to different opinions from her friend-advisers and her hired advisers.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:45 am
I saw the original question where this came up and Clinton did not propose it. The conversation went something like:

Reporter: You both have a lot of supporters. What about the idea of a combined ticket.

Clinton: Well, anything is possible, but I think the people of Ohio have spoken and said they think I should head that ticket.

My take on it was that Clinton was just giving a politically correct answer to the question, not that she was offering Obama anything. I think this has been blown way out of proportion.
0 Replies