Not Saying There's anything Wrong With That, But...

woiyo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:58 am
engineer wrote:
I saw the original question where this came up and Clinton did not propose it. The conversation went something like:

Reporter: You both have a lot of supporters. What about the idea of a combined ticket.

Clinton: Well, anything is possible, but I think the people of Ohio have spoken and said they think I should head that ticket.

My take on it was that Clinton was just giving a politically correct answer to the question, not that she was offering Obama anything. I think this has been blown way out of proportion.

BUNK!!!! Bubba has been touting this for a week.

These snakes will try to do anything to make sure Hillary gets what she is "entitled" to.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:04 pm
Well, "bunk"'s a bit strong, but yes, this has come up in several different contexts now. Here's an example:

Quote:
Who was that, over the wekeend, suggesting that Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama running together on the same White House ticket could be "an almost unstoppable force?''

That was Bill Clinton.

At a campaign rally for his wife in Biloxi, Miss. -- where Democrats will vote on Tuesday -- the former president seemed to acknowledge the weaknesses in both candidates while touting their apparent strengths as one, unified team.

Obama "would win the urban areas and the upscale voters,'' the former president said, "and she wins the traditional rural areas that we lost when President Reagan was president.

"If you put those two things together,'' he said, "you'd have an almost unstoppable force."

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/03/clintonobama_an_almost_unstopp.html
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:28 pm
Saying that Obama would make a good Vice President is a great example of a backhanded compliment.

She implies that he would not make a good President, while leaving him or his supporters to argue that he would not make a good VP.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:30 pm
eoe wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Possibly. I don't think that's the primary motivation, though. I mean, why would Obama supporters vote for her based on that, as opposed to just voting for Obama?

Because they're still trying to tell us, as subtly as possible here, that a black man cannot and will not win the presidency.

Er... I can't say that I've read that into anything I've heard directly from the Clinton camp.

Do you have some examples I may have missed?
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:01 pm
You are correct about this source. But didn't some of Hillary's advisers--not just the media--keep the notion afloat for a while, to see what reaction would develop? Hard--for me, anyway--to tell what's press and what's spin from the help; they have a symbiotic existence.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:09 pm
Obama's reply

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Miss. - Senator Barack Obama implored voters here today to discount the political chatter about him joining the Democratic presidential ticket with Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, declaring: "I don't know how somebody who's in second place can offer the vice presidency to someone who's in first place."

"If I'm not ready, how is it that you think I should be such a great vice president?" Mr. Obama said. "Do you understand that?"

NYTIMES
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:17 pm
eoe wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Possibly. I don't think that's the primary motivation, though. I mean, why would Obama supporters vote for her based on that, as opposed to just voting for Obama?

Because they're still trying to tell us, as subtly as possible here, that a black man cannot and will not win the presidency.

I'm still not convinced that a black man OR a woman can win it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:20 pm
See. That's exactly what they're banking on. Sans the woman part of course. Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:26 pm
I think that's what the McCain camp is banking on (black or woman).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:32 pm
They're sure hopin.' I think they have a better chance against this particular woman than against this particular black guy, though.

I just read more of what Obama said before and after the part that JPB just quoted, I like it a LOT:

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/03/obama_on_veep_talk_clintons_ar.php
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
Somebody did some nice digging, finding that Bill Clinton quotation from 1992. It's part of a near-perfect retort for Obama to use, because it mocks both the chicanery and and the shallowness of the Clinton election team.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 02:06 pm
Okay everyone, put down your beverages before reading this...

This is the Clinton campaign's response to Obama's speech today. Hold your sides or you'll have a belly ache...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/03/10/clinton-team-obama-could-be-ready-by-summer/

Quote:
(CNN) - Hillary Clinton's campaign spokesman said Monday that Barack Obama was not yet prepared to serve as commander-in-chief - but might be able to cross that threshold in time to join the Democratic ticket this summer as a vice presidential candidate.

Over the weekend, Hillary Clinton, former President Bill Clinton and campaign surrogate, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, all suggested that Barack Obama might make a good vice president.

On a conference call with reporters and several prominent military supporters of Clinton's presidential bid, spokesman Howard Wolfson was asked: if Obama is not ready to lead in times of crisis, how can he be considered for the vice presidency?

"We do not believe that Senator Obama has passed the commander in chief test," said Wolfson. "But there is a long way between now and Denver."

He did not say what Obama might be able to do to get ready in the months before the Democratic convention this August.

In response, Obama spokesman Bill Burton e-mailed reporters the quote, along with the Clinton campaign press office number, and urged journalists to call and ask them what Wolfson's statement "could possibly mean."

Hillary's campaign thinks Obama will be ready to be a heart beat away from the presidency in three months!

When did Hillary pass the commander-in-chief test? What grade did she get?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 02:24 pm
The thing that strikes me most is how they put themselves in the position of judges of who is ready to be commander in chief. It comes off as delusions of grandeur, IMO.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 03:22 pm
It's strategy, FreeDuck. And you know this! Very Happy
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 04:45 pm
woiyo wrote:
engineer wrote:
I saw the original question where this came up and Clinton did not propose it. The conversation went something like:

Reporter: You both have a lot of supporters. What about the idea of a combined ticket.

Clinton: Well, anything is possible, but I think the people of Ohio have spoken and said they think I should head that ticket.

My take on it was that Clinton was just giving a politically correct answer to the question, not that she was offering Obama anything. I think this has been blown way out of proportion.

BUNK!!!! Bubba has been touting this for a week.

These snakes will try to do anything to make sure Hillary gets what she is "entitled" to.

Sorry, you are right. Both Clintons have been spouting this stuff. My bad.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 04:47 pm
DrewDad wrote:
eoe wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Er... I can't say that I've read that into anything I've heard directly from the Clinton camp.

Do you have some examples I may have missed?

There was Senator Clinton's quote from before the SC primary where she essentially said that MLK was a great guy and all, but without Johnson (white guy) in the White House, he couldn't do anything.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 09:09 pm
Sorry DrewDad. Didn't see your question.

And then there was ol' Bill invoking the name of Jesse Jackson, reminding us that he too won South Carolina during his bid in 1984(?).

It's very sneaky, very subtle. They're a clever team.
0 Replies